Author Topic: Sad new for any old skool testers out there!  (Read 4298 times)

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
Sad new for any old skool testers out there!
« on: 13 November, 2010, 05:59:21 pm »
I've just been saddened to heard of the passing of Alan Shorter, founder of Shorter-Rochford (or Shorter Cycles, as was). He passed away in hospital in the evening of 9th November. I believe that he was about 92-ish years of age.

As well as being a source of inspiration to me and all of the other 1960s Barnet CC youngsters, Alan was a main driving force behind such time trialling notables as Paul Bennett, Trevor Morgan, Alan Rochford and of course, Alf Engers, to mention just a few.

The cremation will take place at 1.15 pm on Wednesday 1st December at Crownhill Crematorium, Dansteed Way, Crownhill, Milton Keynes, MK8 0AH, if anyone wishes to attend.

R I P Alan.
Old enough to know better!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Sad new for any old skool testers out there!
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2010, 06:01:19 pm »
That is sad to hear, I know a guy who races for SR, and has done so for a few years now(he joined when it was Artic-Shorter-Roachford).  Might just drop him a line to express my condolences.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2010, 06:16:37 pm »
Sad news.  Alan Shorter had a good life and was well respected in the cycling world.  His frames were a regular feature around NorLond and the welwyn Track League as well as some of the more well known testers.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:37:04 pm »
 :(

Will pass this on to my friends in Barnet LCC.

I bought my first Brompton from Shorter Rochford in 1993.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2010, 07:48:50 pm »
A sad loss.  Some people you just begin to believe they will go on forever.

I see some Shorter frames on my commute.  Lovely work.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:53:37 pm »
A great pity - remember helping him out one day on the side of the A5 when I was a lad - He'd punctured his tubs and spare and was walking up the main road in his cleats. Lent him a tub so he could get home, I had no idea who he was at the time - 30 yrs ago.....
Returned tub and a nice note - Great Guy, will be missed!

Steve Kish

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2010, 09:22:50 pm »
Well, we gave him a good send-off last Wednesday.  Chance to meet up with a few of my old sparring partners including Alan Rochford, Barry Chick, Peter Mitsides, Pete Ruffhead, Roger Queen, Brendan McKeown and of course Alf 'The King' Engers.

Alf gave a great tribute that had us all in tears of sadness and joy.  Bitterly cold day, so only about 60 turned up.  Alan Shorter was actually 94 when he passed away, so a great innings.  Probably one of the last great frame and wheelbuilders. :(

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2010, 10:37:12 pm »
How was Brendan?  He & I both did milk rounds in our youth with a husband and wife pair of milkies - Horace and Dot.

Steve Kish

« Reply #8 on: 10 December, 2010, 09:37:33 pm »
John, Brendan looked ridiculously young and seems to have aged about 5 years since I last saw him at Welwyn Gosling in about 1969.  I didn't really get a chance to do more than shake his hand and say hello, but judging by the nice Jag that he drove, he seems to have done well since his milkround days. :thumbsup:

The car almost (but not quite) upstaged the Maserati Quattroporte that my friend Ken and I drove up in. :smug: