Author Topic: What are you drinking right now?  (Read 316051 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What are you drinking right now?
« Reply #2525 on: 12 February, 2021, 09:09:51 am »
3rd cuppa this morning.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2526 on: 12 February, 2021, 05:23:14 pm »
Nothing yet. Waiting for piña colada o'clock.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #2527 on: 12 February, 2021, 07:05:49 pm »
Cloak + Dagger, apparently from Worthing, a place previously only known as Death's Waiting Room. Looks tasty, but I'm waiting for my wife to stop doing whatever the lycra-clad antipodeans are yelling at her to do from inside the TV.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2528 on: 12 February, 2021, 07:08:17 pm »
Drunk the piña colada. Now I have to wait for Pingu to finish making tea and finish his piña colada at a more decorous pace before the wine course appears.

Chris S

« Reply #2529 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:36:07 pm »
... a great deal of wine. Dry January is over.

fboab is wisely hiding upstairs.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2530 on: 12 February, 2021, 10:37:14 pm »
I just finished the bottle of chianti I opened on 6th January. I said it would last me a week...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2531 on: 13 February, 2021, 06:04:28 am »
Following in Ham's footsteps, these guys are local and I have a delivery arriving today ready for 4 o'clock Friday

https://wearebad.co/collections/shop

They look a handy outfit, too but
Hipsters BRWKTPRJCT — BRUCE 6.1% NEW ZEALAND IPA
Bruce is a special IPA made with 3.42kg of dry hops per barrel of beer. The hops we used are a blend named Bruce, so how could we not call the beer that!
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

ETA turns out it is I who is the fule

I got it rong, Bruce hops are from NZ.

https://leagueofbrewers.co.nz/the-bruce-hops-pellets-nz.html

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2532 on: 15 February, 2021, 01:12:10 pm »
@Ham,  their BA range is outstanding and they are thoroughly nice chaps.  Forget the fact that the "standard" range has names taken from 70/80's rock songs (yes that is why they are called Bad Company).  Comfortably Numb, Love Over Gold etc
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2533 on: 15 February, 2021, 02:18:34 pm »
I notice that the larger Morrisons are now stocking a range of 7-8% unfined DIPAs in 440ml cans.  This is tonight's. It's pretty good.

Tesco likewise. I've not seen the Clairvoyance but my local Tesco stocks one of theirs called What Are The Odds? that I like.
https://www.magicrockbrewing.com/beer/what-are-the-odds

Salt Ikat is another I've enjoyed lately.
https://www.saltbeerfactory.co.uk/product/ikat-ddh-dipa/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2534 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:37:03 pm »
Ordered a hand-picked selection of about 12 large beers from Vocation for my brother a couple of days ago.

So I had one myself.

It arrived today and I've just had the 11% Kirsch stout and OMFG  :o

ian

« Reply #2535 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:42:14 pm »
We have a box from Vocation, which is very nice, but some of them are indeed brain-punchingly hefty brews.

The Cloak + Dagger stuff was also very good, not a brewery I'd encountered before, but some find hoppy stuff. I also found a case of Verdant, ho ho, in the porch. I am very much missing The Experiment (the taproom collab between Verdant and Pressure Drop).

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2536 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:55:50 pm »
While we were killing time all day (see OT Knowledge, some tradespeople were demolishing the entrance platform to Pingu Towers) we went to https://hopshopaberdeen.com, which is ostensibly a craft beer nerd corner of a petrol station grocers.

I spotted a whole load of interesting looking beer I hadn't seen before. From Cascade brewing in Portland, OR. So that was 3 at 15 a pop. And then more interesting stuff, some tasty sounding Berliner Weisses. And then I though I'd better stop looking or there would be no room in the box for Pingu beer.
I could easily have filled another box.

But right now I'm drinking a G&T made with Bobby's (Dutch) gin. Which I bought 3 or 4 bottles of in Schipol in late 2019 cos I really like it, and then I was glad I did...

« Reply #2537 on: 23 February, 2021, 10:18:11 pm »
We have a box from Vocation, which is very nice, but some of them are indeed brain-punchingly hefty brews.

The Cloak + Dagger stuff was also very good, not a brewery I'd encountered before, but some find hoppy stuff. I also found a case of Verdant, ho ho, in the porch. I am very much missing The Experiment (the taproom collab between Verdant and Pressure Drop).

I've went to the Vocation taproom in Hebden about 3 years ago, and I reckon their beers have really improved. I find the stronger 7 or 8% ones very drinkable. I think they rival Cloud water these days. Not had a beer from them I didn't like.

Got a Sour lined up next. Also caned a bitter that was fantastic.

ian

« Reply #2538 on: 24 February, 2021, 11:08:46 am »
I remember sitting out Cascade Brewing the last time I was in Portland. So it must have been early in the evening. There's some good drinking in Portland.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2539 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:23:22 pm »
The talk of Vocation upthread persuaded me to try the 15 Mile Round Trip double IPA tonight... Most excellent!

And dangerously quaffable for an 8% beer.

Not so much hazy as opaque, with the colour and much of the flavour of mango juice - albeit a very boozy kind of mango juice.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #2540 on: 27 February, 2021, 08:03:58 pm »
Those northern bastards are now trying to push me some barrel-aged stuff. Must. Not. Click. Buy. Too late.

Drinking a Brewdog Duopolis – an oat cream DDH IPA at a modest 4.7%. Very nice. There's a place called the Other Half Brewing in Brooklyn that I like to frequent, the do a load of oat cream IPAs, hazy beers for hazy nights, the last time I was there (remember travelling...) I don't think they had anything under 7.4%. My wife got carded on the way in which made her really happy. I'm sure we were the oldest people in the taproom. We're getting on to being a fine vintage.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2541 on: 27 February, 2021, 08:21:41 pm »
I like the Duopolis :P

ian

« Reply #2542 on: 27 February, 2021, 08:34:01 pm »
It was very nice. I don't actually know what oat cream is, other than they were mad on it the last time I went to the Other Half (google tells me they've spread, two places in Brooklyn, one in the Finger Lakes, and one in DC – never seen their beer over here).

Have a Rustling Substance from Verdant now. Also very good.

« Reply #2543 on: 02 March, 2021, 08:49:24 pm »
Those northern bastards are now trying to push me some barrel-aged stuff. Must. Not. Click. Buy. Too late.

Drinking a Brewdog Duopolis – an oat cream DDH IPA at a modest 4.7%. Very nice. There's a place called the Other Half Brewing in Brooklyn that I like to frequent, the do a load of oat cream IPAs, hazy beers for hazy nights, the last time I was there (remember travelling...) I don't think they had anything under 7.4%. My wife got carded on the way in which made her really happy. I'm sure we were the oldest people in the taproom. We're getting on to being a fine vintage.

I've put another Vocation order in.

I just can't get past it. It's so good. In particular the large cans of overstretch. Flawless.   Lots of people are doing the 5-6% West Coast IPA stuff really well now, so the fun is the more oblique stuff.

Cancelled my Beer52 subscription last month. Its meh in comparison

ian

« Reply #2544 on: 02 March, 2021, 08:57:24 pm »
Get yourself some Verdant, Pressure Drop or Deya.

« Reply #2545 on: 05 March, 2021, 07:21:16 am »
Deya is up the road (as are all the Bristol breweries). Can't remember if I've had Verdant. Not had Deya for about 3 or 4 years. Steady Rolling Man was the headline brew at the time. It was good, but things have moved on since then I expect.

In other news I've canceled my Beer52 subscription. I think over 6 months I had 3 delieveries from them. What finally confirmed the pointlessness was the 'American' box, of which half the contents were from Brooklyn Beer Co.I found this insulting. Akin to sending somebody Carling and charging them £3 per small can.  The Australian box was better, but I realised that when I liked a beer it wasn't because I actually liked it, more than I felt grateful that it wasn't as crap as the rest of the box.

Vocation delivered again, and that will have to be the last. Its been great, but a nightly 440ml can of 8% beer has become a habit, and that is not a habit I intend to keep.

ian

« Reply #2546 on: 05 March, 2021, 09:58:09 am »
I do save myself for the weekend. I am the master of my domain.

« Reply #2547 on: 05 March, 2021, 10:30:34 am »
The Vocation Coconut black IPA (11%!!) is very good, think they're sold out of that just now. I have 1 left.
Their "Life and Death" is a very nice beer.  330ml cans too, which I much prefer to the 440ml or pints.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2548 on: 05 March, 2021, 01:09:19 pm »
Last night I had a Crooked Wheel black IPA. Very nice it was too. Normally black ipas are too malty for me but this was lovely.

I have a couple of New Bristol brews in the fridge for tonight, one of which I have to hide as both Mrs T and TLD will drink it if I don't, that's the Cinder Toffee Stout
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2549 on: 05 March, 2021, 04:52:10 pm »
The Vocation Coconut black IPA (11%!!) is very good, think they're sold out of that just now. I have 1 left.
Their "Life and Death" is a very nice beer.  330ml cans too, which I much prefer to the 440ml or pints.

I didn't but any Coconut Stout, but I did have a few cans of the Kirsch Stout, which was fantastic, if a little OTT for a 440ml can. I've avoided all the other highly flavoured stuff because it could go a little coffee syrup territory for my tastes. I did try the Sherbet Lemon Sour, and TBH it was the first beer from Vocation that I didn't like.  I agree that Life and Death is good. Along with Northern Monk New World( or their Faith Hazy) or Siren Soundwave, its a flawless, entirely drinkable gold standard of a craft IPA.