Author Topic: Hertfordshire Greenways 100 - 18th September 2021  (Read 2929 times)

Hertfordshire Greenways 100 - 18th September 2021
« on: 21 May, 2021, 08:37:06 pm »
My Hertfordshire Greenways 100km audax, on 18th September, is now open for business

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8212

111km cycling event starting from Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Controls at Bovingdon and Stevenage., plus 4 information controls.

Another  fun editon to explore the traffic free greenways Ayot Greenway, Nickey Line, Alban Way, and Cole Green Way. This time you get to go round in a clockwise direction.

A delightful outing on the greenways of Hertfordshire. Tackles 45km of the old disused railways, combined with quiet lanes, cafe start / finish, a halfway cafe (or pub) and low minimum speed makes for a fun and different day out.

For more detail and photos see https://herts-audax.herokuapp.com/hertfordshire-greenways/

There will also be a Hertfordshire Greenways Lite 50km audax and Four Minute Mile 200km audax on same day, which should be open for business within the week.

Re: Hertfordshire Greenways 100 - 18th September 2021
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2021, 04:44:43 pm »
Excellent. Enjoyed this last time. Shan't know for a bit whether I am free that weekend, so I'll have to hope that places are still available :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2021, 06:29:39 pm »
I’m assuming no limits on numbers at the moment.  Entries will remain open till week before. At which point I’ll order the brevet cards.

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2021, 09:43:56 pm »
Entered

I do like something a little different occasionally

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2021, 07:55:26 pm »
Have signed up, but quite new to distance cycling and slowly building up.

I'll probably be the last one back to the pub.

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2021, 09:24:41 pm »
The last of the 100 riders has overlapped with the first of the 200 riders in previous years. It all works just dandy. The time limit for the 100 usually means if you use all the available time you’ll finish around sunset.

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2021, 09:28:35 pm »
Access by train from Brighton via Kings Cross to Cambridge or Peterborough is also really easy.  Start is about 20 mins from railway station.

« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:37:12 pm »
This is quite a fun ride. Done three previous  and thoroughly enjoyed each one. Entered again for this year.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:56:31 pm »
Access by train from Brighton via Kings Cross to Cambridge or Peterborough is also really easy.  Start is about 20 mins from railway station.
20 minutes uphill that is. Not a massive hill, but good news at the end, when you can just freewheel back. Even better news, the station is on one of the few lines visited by this route that are still open ;D

« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2021, 01:45:44 pm »
20 minutes uphill that is. Not a massive hill, but good news at the end, when you can just freewheel back. Even better news, the station is on one of the few lines visited by this route that are still open ;D

It is uphill but a gentle 3% or so

« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2021, 05:13:01 pm »
Just entered Mrs DF and I, our first Audax in 3 years, really looking forward to it

A

« Reply #11 on: 26 August, 2021, 07:01:13 pm »
This event will be approved for use with the ebrevet smartphone app for validation. Traditional methods will still be available.

« Reply #12 on: 02 September, 2021, 06:36:33 pm »
Route check completed today. All five greenways looking good with some resurface work done and some lovely fresh full width tarmac in lanes. Some so new my tyres were the first one it. They had only just finished and lane not open to cars. when I went down it.

45km of greenway out of the 109km route.

« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2021, 11:56:53 pm »
Excellent. Enjoyed this last time. Shan't know for a bit whether I am free that weekend, so I'll have to hope that places are still available :thumbsup:
I've entered. I know I'm supposed to take this one at a leisurely pace, but I have to be back for a Scouting event, so I may have to put a bit of effort in. Which should result in my finishing somewhere near the back of the field ;D

« Reply #14 on: 18 September, 2021, 05:58:39 pm »
A brilliant ride today in the 100k event.  The weather was just about perfect being sunny and with hardly any noticeable winds. Not a fast ride by any means as there were quite a few off-road sections using old railway lines.  Some of these were now tarmacced but there were lots of dog walkers with their dogs not on a lead and running amoc, but it had a lovely different feel to the event than the usual all-road type of events.

Some of the roads were really busy today, so it was nice to be able to get away from the traffic on some of the off-road sections.  I was with a few others as we arrived in Bovingdon and someone found a very nice little bakery/sandwich shop (Simmons) which was perfect for a lunch stop.

Superbly organised by Phil Whitehurst.  Many thanks to him for putting this ride on.

felstedrider

« Reply #15 on: 18 September, 2021, 06:28:15 pm »
Lovely day out and a really well though out route.  Thanks, Phil.

Managed to detour off late on and meet a mate for coffee.  Ended up sitting around for 1.5hrs chatting before pootling into the finish.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #16 on: 19 September, 2021, 09:29:09 am »
I really enjoyed that ride. Great to meet up and chat to people I haven't see for ages and to meet some new people too. Although I've ridden quite a few sections of the greenways, some linking roads and the Ayot Greenway in total was new to me. It's always good to get a few new roads and tracks on an event!

After Phil's warning about the cafe in Bovingdon being closed we were pleased to find K's coffee shop which had ideal cyclist fare served pretty quickly, with plenty of outside seating.

We cycled home afterwards (not far short of  200km by the end of the day) - taking it fairly easy with a tea and cake stop in Hertford and then down the Lee Valley towpath until lack of light by Tottenham suggested that the road would be a better route choice. How wrong we were - traffic was mad, culminating in some inattentive motorist side-swiping us in Hackney as we signalled to move right to position for a roundabout. The pannier took the light impact and I suspect the weight of the tandem plus the length of the bike (meaning plenty of weight well forward of the impact) kept us upright.

« Reply #17 on: 19 September, 2021, 10:15:35 am »
Thanks all. The event saw it’s first under 18 riders with a 13 year old girl and 8 year old boy successfully completing the ride.  Also its first Elliptigos with Idai and Stu taking part. I presented the 8 year old with his 100km audax medals whilst his proud father filmed. The 13 year old enjoyed massive ice creams with her father. Both of them riding their first audax and will be getting 100km completion certificates in the post. I’ll order them with my finisher list submissions. Both parents were grateful for the generous time limits I set for this event.

The weather couldn’t have been more perfect for the day.  With my usual helper options all away on holiday.  It was a long stint at the pub finish.  But it passed well enough with riders trundling in with smiles from my three events throughout the afternoon and evening.  My wife came down at 7:30pm to enjoy an evening meal with me. I rolled home shortly after 10:30pm having seen the last of my Four Minute Mile riders to reach the finish. It was nice after my car park start and postal finish last year. That was a little flat for me with none of the conversations I enjoyed and smiles I saw this year.

The cafe at the start were really pleased with the extra trade. I think I’ll use them again next year.   They saw steady trade all the way till 9am when the Greenways Lite riders were away.

Thanks for mentioning K’s in Bovingdon. Which I failed to spot on my route check. Maybe having found out I’d forgotten my wallet. I wasn’t looking as closely enough for anything new to replace the lost cafe.

The route will go the opposite way round next year. It has a few subtle lane changes to reflect that. I might add a little bit of extra gravel to the ride.  I’ll have to scope out the section I have in mind. I haven’t ridden it for a few years. Need to check if my memory of the surface ties up with how it is now.

Later today I’ll email a link out (to riders) so they can see finisher photos.

« Reply #18 on: 19 September, 2021, 02:18:05 pm »
Yes, a really good day out yesterday.

I also used K's in Bovingdon. I only had the route sheet and e-brevet with me anyway, I'd forgotten what the instructions said about the official control, and K's is (I think) where I went last time I did this ride, in 2018. As already said, they were quick and helpful, so I'd use them again.

The e-brevet was interesting, as a first-time user. You get used to these things I think. I couldn't work out why I got yellow triangles on the first two controls, but in retrospect it was obvious - we were buzzing along on the easier, earlier sections and running a couple of minutes ahead of time. I was still slightly ahead at Bovingdon, so I recorded my time as I finished at the cafe instead of as I arrived. After that, the hilly route sections sorted things out and there was no problem slipping back into the official schedule ;D However, it announced that I was 3.5 km away when I tried to register the Ayot control. That was nonsense, but Phil told me at the finish that it can happen, and retrying can help. Must have been my phone GPS being slow to keep up I think. My wife sometimes tracks my progress in Google Maps, and I can be recorded there as a fair bit behind where I really am.

If we're doing it the other way next time, I think a rousing chorus of "The runaway train went down the hill" should be mandatory going down the Nickey Line into Hemel Hempstead. I made that my whistling tune for yesterday - seemed appropriate. It was, as ever, quite a pull coming up that hill. I've no idea how they managed to get trains up it. In fact, most of the lines seemed to be uphill yesterday, so I'll look forward to the reversed route :P

I use whistling tunes because I've always found bellls a bit aggressive on shared-use paths. A merry tune carries a long way, and allows others to gauge your speed of approach before they even turn around. Works for me.

« Reply #19 on: 19 September, 2021, 02:40:32 pm »
A video shot by Idai during the event yesterday

https://youtu.be/JJ4tdY4oLwM

« Reply #20 on: 20 September, 2021, 11:42:05 am »
Really enjoyed the ride, first Audax in 3 years, took Mrs DF round ok, suffered a bit on the second half and was taught a lesson or two on hydration and feeding. Apart from the little old lady in Bovingdon who took three goes to get past regardless of the approaching cars and nearly having me off on the first 2 as a result,

A

« Reply #21 on: 25 September, 2021, 09:35:08 pm »
Back from mini break and my validation stickers have finally turned up. Think they were on the slow ferry south.  I’ll be sorting out finishers admin this next week.

Event will be on Sat 17th September next year. All being well.