Author Topic: PBP - Route sheet  (Read 3878 times)

PBP - Route sheet
« on: 01 August, 2011, 12:34:21 pm »
I've just removed my route sheet holder bracket from the handlebars on the basis that
a) it's one more thing  that could go wrong (the bolt is small and fiddly and has come loose in the past), and
b) there may well be no need to look at the route sheet, save, possibly, for the run-in, where arrows may have been removed.
I still intend to have the route sheet available for reference, but I'm not much one for needing to know how far it is to the next control because I find that if I keep on going it will arrive sooner or later.

Two questions, the first for non-GPSers, or those GPSers who have ridden PBP without GPS:

Q1 - Am I a fool?  (Limit your responses to the issue of my not having a route-sheet easily visible)
Q2 - Are we provided with a routesheet at registration or do we print our own from the website?

Re: PBP - Route sheet
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2011, 01:05:03 pm »
I used neither GPS nor route sheet for either of my PBPs. The route is terribly well signposted.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

roddo

• pbp 8509
    • The Cycling Fatboy Project
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:10:07 pm »
good question - i have read, here and elsewhere, that the route may change, and it is well signposted so better to follow that than a routecard.

i just took mine off too!

:o
Sur la Plaque

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:21:56 pm »
I plan to take a Michelin road-map with me [just the relevant bits!]. This will help:
- get me to the finish if (unlike in 07) there are indeed sign-thieves* around,
- with any off-route excursions
- riding between La Manche and SQY
- getting back to SQY if I pack.

I won't have the routesheet on my bars, but might carry it. Maybe.

*Of course if I catch such a person, they better be a faster rider than I ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:40:59 pm »
No previous PBP experience, but my GPS is to help with:-

* getting me between hotel and StQeY
* PBP (and recording HR over the duration of the ride) and in places where the faster riders have stolen signs as souvenirs
* getting me between StQeY and hotel at CDG afterwards
* getting me from Heathrow to home

I'll have a copy of the routesheet in my bag (in a waterproof bag), I'll also have two rubber bands on the handlebars to act as an emergency routesheet holder if required.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2011, 02:48:41 pm »
I was less brave than you in 2007 and started with routesheet in holder on bars.

By the time I got to Loudeac I chucked the routesheet & holder as I hadn't looked at it whatsoever in the last 450km.

This year I shall just have the GPS on the bars with the official track on, but only for emergency navigation (as Matt descibes above) and to log my immense riding prowess to convince my grandkids that I wasn't always fat and unfit.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:18:04 pm »
Last time I had the routesheet but didn't use it.  I also had a "pages out of a road atlas" map and didn't use that either

This time I have a mapcase on the top of my bar bag and will have open/close control times or something like that in it

For the Hutopia and paris Nord before/afterwards I will have a google map mobile phone and will print out some specific street maps

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »
I plan to take a Michelin road-map with me [just the relevant bits!]. This will help:
- getting back to SQY if I pack.

This will not happen. Fidgetbuzz and I will be riding just behind you and will not allow it! (Right, Roger?)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2011, 03:56:41 pm »
Don't get me wrong: I'm like a scout, Be Prepared!
It's like carrying a mobile phone for emergencies - I don't believe it has yet caused me to have an emergency.
I carry a map on nearly every UK Audax I ride - and I've never packed on such a ride (touches wood etc ... )  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »
Based on my one and only experience in 2007, I'd say - take a route sheet and keep it at the bottom of your saddlebag for the reason you've mentioned.
b) there may well be no need to look at the route sheet, save, possibly, for the run-in, where arrows may have been removed.
Raise your head from it's ever present slump position gazing down at the handlebars......and look around you instead, there are plenty of people you don't normally see on an audax ride. But more importantly, when you start hallucinating during the night time of day three, you really want to be savouring that experience. Keeping your head in an upright position will hopefully keep you on the bicycle  ;D

Thinking back I could easily have got lost in 2007 on the run in to SQ.  I didn't even take a route sheet with me, and hadn't got a GPS back then, so I relied entirely on luck [namely those in front of me knowing what they were doing]. I remember riding alone for a while on the outskirts of Paris, hadn't seen anybody for a while and started to get a bit nervous. Hadn't got a clue where I was. But it turned out ok.

I plan to take a Michelin road-map with me

I was very thankful for your father taking a road map with him in 2007. He lent it to me on the Friday after the ride so I could navigate myself back to where I'd jettisoned all my luggage in the hedge 50km from the finish! Very useful that was :)
Garry Broad

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #10 on: 02 August, 2011, 11:51:59 am »
- get me to the finish if (unlike in 07) there are indeed sign-thieves* around,

They probably will be faster than you.  After all, they got to the sign before you did...   ;D

« Reply #11 on: 02 August, 2011, 11:56:56 am »
Thanks all - route sheet holder will not be re-attached.  Any suggestions for:
Q2 - Are we provided with a routesheet at registration or do we print our own from the website?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 02 August, 2011, 01:35:28 pm »
sign-thieves*...

They probably will be faster than you.  After all, they got to the sign before you did...   ;D
yeah, I had thought of that*, but now they're carrying a sign ...

Or they're sunning themselves on the grass with a beer when I arrivee รก velo, with somewhat more adrenaline than they.

*Of course they may have simply started earlier. Nur-nur.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 02 August, 2011, 02:22:48 pm »
I have collected a direction sign from every PBP I've done and will do so again this time.  It has always been an outward sign when I'm on the return trip, taken at least four hours after the last outbound rider was sighted (they're always outside the time limit) and from a location with more than one direction sign.

If you want to get upset about me taking a sign, go right ahead but be prepared to be ignored, laughed at or yelled at.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14 on: 02 August, 2011, 02:31:39 pm »
I think the point is that not everyone is as conscientious as you.

I've no problem with people taking outbound signs on the return (under those conditions), it's just that when those run out the unscrupulous people take the inbound signs even though there are still people who may need to rely on them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 02 August, 2011, 02:35:03 pm »
So what are you going to do about it?  I've not seen it myself (heard about it from plenty of folk) but usually finish PBP several hours before the course closes.

« Reply #16 on: 02 August, 2011, 03:04:59 pm »
I'll be taking my GPS. That way I will have a fallback plan, along with the routesheet, should the signs go missing. Especially since I'll probably be troubling the 90h time limit.

The GPS will also help me do the other journeys that won't be signposted (StQeY to the hotel, finish to CDG airport, Heathrow to home, etc).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 02 August, 2011, 03:09:50 pm »
Some 84 hr riders will be on the route for several hours after the 90 hr limit expires at this PBP.  I don't think you'll have many problems with missing signs.

Andrew

« Reply #18 on: 02 August, 2011, 03:11:35 pm »

It was part of the dossier pdf I received by email after my registration was finalised; 1 A4 sheet for the out leg, one for the return. I'll print and laminate it, and take it just in case.

« Reply #19 on: 02 August, 2011, 06:08:18 pm »
In 2003 you could collect PBP direction signs at the finish. They were hoping this would prevent people taking signs from the road which had been a problem in 1999.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 02 August, 2011, 06:10:26 pm »
Some 84 hr riders will be on the route for several hours after the 90 hr limit expires at this PBP.  I don't think you'll have many problems with missing signs.
Oh well in that case I shall help myself!   ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #21 on: 07 August, 2011, 09:01:01 am »
I'm going to keep my maptrap on my bike for the PBP but not to hold a routesheet. Instead I'm going to have some laminated pictures of Jeremy Clarkson in there for inspiration in there. At any point should I consider packing, I'll imagine that to do so will mean that I have to spend an eternity talking to him and only him. If the picture starts talking to me about the sort of speed I could complete the ride in a reasonably priced car, I'll know it's time for a nap.

Simples.