Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1752820 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #8275 on: 18 November, 2015, 03:36:34 pm »
 ;D

So...Plan A is go out as if nothing was wrong...plan B is head for shelter when reality strikes? I won't take it personally if there's a no-show.

I won't be throwing [literal] caution to the wind as I've managed to bang my knee [long story] - got it strapped up - advice is to use it, but gently, so expect some one-legged, slow pedalling...

« Reply #8276 on: 18 November, 2015, 03:36:39 pm »
I doubt it as he doesn't recognise what it is!  ::-)

;D

Very true Del it's a bit different to Ted's boat note the room for all the horses!!

You really are stalking me.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #8277 on: 18 November, 2015, 03:51:07 pm »
You really are stalking me.

Sorry Ted just can't help myself, is the hot tub fixed as yet  ::-)

So...Plan A is go out as if nothing was wrong

Yes Plan A all the way Tomsk  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8278 on: 18 November, 2015, 03:57:33 pm »

The Retiree

« Reply #8279 on: 18 November, 2015, 03:58:47 pm »
^^^^^^ is that OD's one that he stores on board Ted's floating mansion????

« Reply #8280 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:02:53 pm »
I ain't going out in this shit!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8281 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:50:41 pm »
So... the plan... I'll be at Spa Road as close to 7:30 as the wind permits.

Thence on to Gt Leighs via a direct-ish route aiming for the road to Bannister Green to pick up Tomsk the one-legged riding machine.  There will possibly be a brief re-grouping stop on the way at The Castle if tippers_windbreak isn't in attendance by then.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

The Retiree

« Reply #8282 on: 18 November, 2015, 05:19:30 pm »
^^^  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8283 on: 18 November, 2015, 05:42:13 pm »
Nearly in Witham on the train. Hopefully the wind will blow me home to get some food and a decent bike and I can be at spa close to 7:30. Will send Oaky and DL a text before I leave Tiptree.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #8284 on: 18 November, 2015, 05:45:31 pm »
Sorry guys, I won't be out tonight, it's not the weather, it's puncture anxiety! The useless Challenge tyres I'm using are averaging a puncture about every 20 miles.

Have fun.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8285 on: 18 November, 2015, 05:49:17 pm »

I would say that sail is off a kid's Optimist dinghy.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #8286 on: 18 November, 2015, 06:16:44 pm »
I'll be out tonight, there were a few trees scattered around but the blocked roads from this morning were cleared for the ride home.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8287 on: 18 November, 2015, 07:00:52 pm »
I'm in Surrey tonight so won't be making an appearance, but you'll be glad to know I do have a suitable outfit should the need arise in the future.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8288 on: 19 November, 2015, 06:32:12 am »
After much deliberation on these pages and elsewhere, a peloton of 7 riders set off into the wind from Spa.  DL, Quaffer, GavinSSN, the BFC, Tippers, Oaky and I scooped up one-legged Tomsk in a dark lane some time later and made our way to the George at Shalford.  The ride itself was a mix of fast lanes, COR, scary side winds and then fast tailwinds in the final section before Shalford.  Oaky and I walked around the ford (both having ford form) and then found ourselves spinning uphill across mud and stones which was a little disconcerting.

At the pub we consumed a mix of Shalford Brewery offerings including; Rampant, Mild and Stonely, Rampant winning the Quaffer's Choice.

The ride home was across a more direct but choppier route which felt like it was into the wind all the way.

Nevertheless, it stayed dry and we all enjoyed getting out on such an unpromising night.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8289 on: 19 November, 2015, 08:15:04 am »
Well done chaps. The 90 minute episode of "I'm a Celeb ..." was excellent!

The Retiree

« Reply #8290 on: 19 November, 2015, 08:23:58 am »
After much deliberation on these pages and elsewhere, a peloton of 7 riders set off into the wind from Spa.  DL, Quaffer, GavinSSN, the BFC, Tippers, Oaky and I scooped up one-legged Tomsk in a dark lane some time later and made our way to the George at Shalford.  The ride itself was a mix of fast lanes, COR, scary side winds and then fast tailwinds in the final section before Shalford.  Oaky and I walked around the ford (both having ford form) and then found ourselves spinning uphill across mud and stones which was a little disconcerting.

At the pub we consumed a mix of Shalford Brewery offerings including; Rampant, Mild and Stonely, Rampant winning the Quaffer's Choice.

The ride home was across a more direct but choppier route which felt like it was into the wind all the way.

Nevertheless, it stayed dry and we all enjoyed getting out on such an unpromising night.

Indeed I would second all of the above! My qoute of the night went to SSN aka Giles Gavin who said 'I'm feeling really good tonight, one of those nights where it's all come together!' having wheel sucked Tippers from Spa Rd  ;D

Well done chaps. The 90 minute episode of "I'm a Celeb ..." was excellent!

:facepalm: Tomsk even took us down lanes that Fred would of thrived on...... plus the ford of course (thanks to Tomsk for the briefing prior to encountering this section!  :thumbsup: )

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8291 on: 19 November, 2015, 08:36:34 am »
I'm glad you all had fun. 

I'm hoping to get out over the weekend - nothing confirmed yet.  If I do I will let folks know in case they want to come too.

The Retiree

« Reply #8292 on: 19 November, 2015, 08:37:49 am »
^^^^^^^  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8293 on: 19 November, 2015, 09:05:41 am »
Yes, not such a bad night weather-wise, though riding back almost due west on the very exposed section by Andrewsfield was a struggle [and it's slightly downhill]. Glad everyone survived the ford ok [some by the footbridge manoeuvre] though I still can't explain Giles Gavin's wet feet - the water was lower than Tuesday!

The stag we encountered near Cock Green was impressive.

I'll be leading a Flitch Bikes Saturday morning ride, destination tbc. Possibly out on Sunday too.

« Reply #8294 on: 19 November, 2015, 11:32:52 am »
Following DL's liberal use of same, I have had a look back through the Rules.

Without trying, I can find serious and repeated infractions of the following Rules by DL; 1, 2, 3, 21, 24, 29, 30, 33, 41, 87 and 88.

If you are going to use the Rules, you need to follow the Rules.

The remainder of us are exempt as we operate under what are commonly referred to as the Permitted Audax Variation Exceptions ("PAVE").

EG: Rule #29 No European Posterior Man-Satchels under PAVE becomes:- Saddlebags shall be Carradice and shall be kept full at all times.  Wherever possible leather straps should be deployed to carry additional and possibly unnecessary items.

You get the idea. 

As you are about to join AUK and ride the Santa Special and BCM on your Brompton you will soon be able to start quoting Rule #5 at OD again  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8295 on: 19 November, 2015, 11:54:31 am »
Can I just remind you all that when it comes to the MEMWNS and associated activities there is but one rule ... that being there are no rules.

Anyone trying to impose rules, an example being Oaky's rule banning forward planning, can expect to be roundly abused in a sustained and ever more imaginative manner.

« Reply #8296 on: 19 November, 2015, 12:10:58 pm »
Not even a teeny weeny rule about putting I'm a Celebrity Get Me out Of Here ahead of MEMWNS when it gets a little bit windy ?  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8297 on: 19 November, 2015, 12:14:03 pm »
No.

The Retiree

« Reply #8298 on: 19 November, 2015, 12:21:24 pm »
Not even a teeny weeny rule about putting I'm a Celebrity Get Me out Of Here ahead of MEMWNS when it gets a little bit windy ?  ;)

Or suggesting that we ride to each others locals and even plotting a route to your own one and then no showing for two weeks on the trot  ???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8299 on: 19 November, 2015, 12:32:01 pm »

Or suggesting that we ride to each others locals and even plotting a route to your own one and then no showing for two weeks on the trot  ???

I can't see the problem!  Anyone can make suggestions, there's no rule saying anyone has to follow said suggestions!

Anyhow, all the evidence suggests (clearly from my point of view its anecdotal evidence) my suggestion was a good one  :smug: