Author Topic: First-World Problems.  (Read 333686 times)

essexian

Re: First-World Problems.
« Reply #2025 on: 14 October, 2019, 12:58:16 pm »
We are planning to have a take away for tea...well its my Birthday tomorrow and our wedding adversary but now discover that our favourite take away no longer delivers to our postcode!!!!

Stop whinging, we don't have any takeaways at all that deliver to our postcode.

Mind you thats probably a good thing for my waistline.

Whatever.  It seems I don't understand what this thread is for.

« Reply #2026 on: 14 October, 2019, 02:50:12 pm »
We are planning to have a take away for tea...well its my Birthday tomorrow and our wedding adversary but now discover that our favourite take away no longer delivers to our postcode!!!!

Whatever.  It seems I don't understand what this thread is for.

Sorry I wasn't having a go, just being sarcastic.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2027 on: 14 October, 2019, 04:12:20 pm »

There are far too many within 2 minutes walk of my front door, it takes serious will power not to order something every night

« Reply #2028 on: 16 October, 2019, 08:40:34 am »
The dealer has used yellow (rear) and white (front)  capped screws to fix the number plate to my new car. In the middle of the black text  ::-).  I took one out of the rear plate to check the type, and bought black replacements. The screw on the front is a different type.  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2029 on: 16 October, 2019, 09:29:16 am »
The dealer has used yellow (rear) and white (front)  capped screws to fix the number plate to my new car. In the middle of the black text  ::-).  I took one out of the rear plate to check the type, and bought black replacements. The screw on the front is a different type.  >:(

An additional first world problem is that security screws for number plates are a Very Good idea and may be available FOC from your local plod. Worth doing before you find yourself in the rant thread.

« Reply #2030 on: 16 October, 2019, 10:13:53 am »
Nobody around here will want mine - they have the Euro symbol on  8)

But on a serious note, ta.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2031 on: 16 October, 2019, 04:32:47 pm »

An additional first world problem is that security screws for number plates are a Very Good idea and may be available FOC from your local plod. Worth doing before you find yourself in the rant thread.

An additional FWP is that someone needs to seize motor-car manufacturers warmly by the throat and and, while bouncing their collective heads off the nearest brick wall, shout "DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE METHOD OF SECURING NUMBER PLATES, YOU WITLESS PARSNIPS!" in their ears.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2032 on: 16 October, 2019, 04:45:36 pm »
Last time I looked they used pop rivets here.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2033 on: 16 October, 2019, 05:09:28 pm »

An additional FWP is that someone needs to seize motor-car manufacturers warmly by the throat and and, while bouncing their collective heads off the nearest brick wall, shout "DOUBLE-SIDED TAPE IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE METHOD OF SECURING NUMBER PLATES, YOU WITLESS PARSNIPS!" in their ears.
Point of order m’laud. Number plates are fitted by stealerships, not the manufacturers. 🤓
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2034 on: 16 October, 2019, 10:12:13 pm »
double sided tape has worked for 16 years on my disco2. Maybe the rest of the car should be made of the same material - it seems to be pure unobtanium for LR sourced parts vs pattern parts. Guess which I need to replace?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2035 on: 17 October, 2019, 08:51:14 am »
Last time I looked they used pop rivets here.

Have been told that it's by statute.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2036 on: 17 October, 2019, 01:02:00 pm »
Nowt wrong with the right tape - https://www.mjcdigital.co.uk/3m-double-sided-tape for a selection. Much of most cars' trim is held on with the stuff.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2037 on: 17 October, 2019, 01:03:26 pm »
I was going to say, an awful lot of the numberplates I see lying in the verge are not held on by double-sided tape, but that not all double-sided tapes are equal.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2038 on: 17 October, 2019, 01:55:40 pm »
The replacement for our previous cranky old grid (a Fabia estate) does not have the covered trough at the back of the parcel shelf which was ideal for the safe transport of balsa sheet, piano wire and (rolled up) plans.

In similar vein, current Fnord Mustangs do not have the little trough atop the centre of the dash to keep your bag-full-of-lead-shot TwatNav holder in place so you have to use double-sided tape to prevent Emily the TwatNav from cowering in the passenger footwell or your lap every time you negotiate a junction.

I bet there's somewhere to stash an AR-15 Assault rifle though!!" ::-)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2039 on: 19 October, 2019, 09:36:35 pm »
Waitrose at Kings Cross Station had NO TONIC WATER for Regulator to serve our merry gang, to accompany the gin he had brought.

He had to Shop Elsewhere...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2040 on: 20 October, 2019, 12:13:25 am »
I collected a car-club car for tomorrow and it reeks of Smoker.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2041 on: 20 October, 2019, 12:26:26 am »
Got dressed for the dinner last night and stole a glance at the invite just before going out.

The horror! It was black tie and I was in white tie. Resolved, after a few minute af panic.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2042 on: 21 October, 2019, 11:37:37 am »
Slapdash.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2043 on: 21 October, 2019, 12:28:43 pm »
The deli counter assistant confusing Perri-Perri Chicken for "Italian" chicken.
:FlameThrowerMouth

« Reply #2044 on: 22 October, 2019, 05:14:12 pm »
My bottle opener doesn't fit the crown corks on Leffe bottles.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2045 on: 22 October, 2019, 07:59:56 pm »
Does not compute! Don't you own a swiss army knife, or similar?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #2046 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:32:46 pm »
Or teeth. Bite them off.

Or you can use the ceiling on a train, the crenellations are perfect for popping bottle caps.

« Reply #2047 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:44:37 pm »
Ely Dave, no. *

Ian, my teeth are fucked already.

* I can use the kitchen can opener, but this whinge is funner

ian

« Reply #2048 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:48:12 pm »
Then that's why we have trains. Plus it's cool and impresses the other passengers.

« Reply #2049 on: 22 October, 2019, 09:29:52 pm »
OK . Which trains?  We only get crappy Arriva ones and Virgin whatever (soon to be taken over by Trenitalia; i'm not going to hold my breath waiting for le freccie...)