Author Topic: This is not a tour. Welsh rides in the spirit of Mike Hall - 2/3rd June 2018.  (Read 63846 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Thanks Pete, Mark is on the case.

I managed to bugger it up by transferring from the 300bp to the 100a (fitness fail) and entering the 100b on the day the emails went out.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

I think that's about it. Riders should have the relevant route details now. From tomorrow morning I will be on holiday.

If not speak now. Please use the email details were originally sent from. Others you may decide to use are not monitored, and may not get responded to.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

alfapete

• Oh dear
I think that's about it. Riders should have the relevant route details now. From tomorrow morning I will be on holiday.

Going to Wales???
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Have a great set of rides, you guys. We, on the West Highlands, will (very occasionally) be thinking what fun you're having.

Sloth make 600 map

That overlay has been very useful, thank you Sloth.

On the 600 route, just before the Pen y garreg dam, the route goes 400m on a right hand spur, then retraces and goes along the left hand spur to keep to the southern and western side of the Pen y garreg reservoir. I'm presuming the 400m up the right hand spur is to get to the checkpoint that is included on the routesheet between 114.5km and 117.9km. Do others agree?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...

Sloth make 600 map

On the 600 route, just before the Pen y garreg dam, the route goes 400m on a right hand spur, then retraces and goes along the left hand spur to keep to the southern and western side of the Pen y garreg reservoir. I'm presuming the 400m up the right hand spur is to get to the checkpoint that is included on the routesheet between 114.5km and 117.9km. Do others agree?

I think it could be a minor gpx route creation glitch not worth bothering BS with. The route sheet (unless I'm misreading) appears to tell us to continue on the track to the all the way to the craig goch dam on the north east side of the water and cross that  to a T then turn right.  That way is a continuous gently graded scenic track. I've done a gpx along there before and the line kept wanting to switch back down to the road. Route sheet (600) says the route is along the track somewhere, so switching back down to the road can't be for checkpoint and is an unnecessary decent and climb missing part of the lovely off road cycleway.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Thanks Smeth. So keep to the east of the reservoir and cross back onto the GPX route at dam.

Smeth

Thanks Smeth. So keep to the east of the reservoir and cross back onto the GPX route at dam.
I reckon. The route sheet doesn't mention the retrace. Just crossing the dam at the top.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels

Sloth make 600 map

I think it could be a minor gpx route creation glitch not worth bothering BS with. The route sheet (unless I'm misreading) appears to tell us to continue on the track to the all the way to the craig goch dam on the north east side of the water and cross that  to a T then turn right.  That way is a continuous gently graded scenic track. I've done a gpx along there before and the line kept wanting to switch back down to the road. Route sheet (600) says the route is along the track somewhere, so switching back down to the road can't be for checkpoint and is an unnecessary decent and climb missing part of the lovely off road cycleway.

Also note that the routesheet for the 400 — and I suspect the 600 also — selects the track that is BETWEEN those two roads, as shown below — aim for the boulders NOT the "NTR" or no through-road — the instruction on the 400 routesheet is "RIGHT on to track, Imm after NTR on Right", but Google doesn't have that path marked, so the auto-routing will misplace it onto either the NTR road, or the through-road:

The misrouting on Sloth's route uses the two roads either side — and the official 400 GPX also uses the NTR and NOT the path, rejoining the path higher up in the forest (one of several discrepancies).

There is a checkpoint up that side of the reservoir somewhere; I'm assuming it will be up by the toilets at the dam, as there's somewhere for the controller to park up and keep warm and dry if the weather's sh!te, but they could be lower down.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Great work Nick - that's not very clear at all (although the GPX would probably work for me).

I was just reading that bit of the routesheet and wondering "WTF does NTR mean??"   :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Sloth make 600 map

Also note that the routesheet for the 400 — and I suspect the 600 also — selects the track that is BETWEEN those two roads, as shown below — aim for the boulders NOT the "NTR" or no through-road — the instruction on the 400 routesheet is "RIGHT on to track, Imm after NTR on Right", but Google doesn't have that path marked, so the auto-routing will misplace it onto either the NTR road, or the through-road:

The misrouting on Sloth's route uses the two roads either side — and the official 400 GPX also uses the NTR and NOT the path, rejoining the path higher up in the forest (one of several discrepancies).

There is a checkpoint up that side of the reservoir somewhere; I'm assuming it will be up by the toilets at the dam, as there's somewhere for the controller to park up and keep warm and dry if the weather's sh!te, but they could be lower down.
Same on the 300b.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

LFCC

Smeth

The other little one I noticed was that the track does the ystwyth trail old railway after Tregaron whereas the route sheet seems to follow the road which is slightly shorter but less interesting.

There are several places that have roads parallel to the gravel trails where the routesheet suggests using the road. I'm going for full off-road value to justify the cost, time and swearing of getting my tubeless gravel tyres setup.   ::-)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
There are several places that have roads parallel to the gravel trails where the routesheet suggests using the road. I'm going for full off-road value to justify the cost, time and swearing of getting my tubeless gravel tyres setup.   ::-)
After years of deviating from "official" routesheets whenever I "knew better", I had planned to follow the TINAT route exactly, warts/fords/canyons and all.

But if I meet nav difficulties, I shall just take the safest option. PlanA is follow the purple tunnel, hopefully that will take in every pebble that Mark has lovingly arranged for us.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

@wilkyboy, thank you enormously for posting that photo. That makes it really clear where to go.

My plan is also to follow the intended route in full. I've checked streetview so that I'm familiar with the entrance to the path that is after Tregaron, but otherwise I think the off-road sections are straightforward to enter and follow, at least following the clarifications up towards the dam.

I've checked streetview so that I'm familiar with the entrance to the path that is after Tregaron, but otherwise I think the off-road sections are straightforward to enter and follow, at least following the clarifications up towards the dam.

The Cors Caron, railway track section looks like a goody; doing it on the Sunday.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Chris N

Great work Nick - that's not very clear at all (although the GPX would probably work for me).

I was just reading that bit of the routesheet and wondering "WTF does NTR mean??"   :)

No Through Road.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
After years of deviating from "official" routesheets whenever I "knew better", I had planned to follow the TINAT route exactly, warts/fords/canyons and all.

But if I meet nav difficulties, I shall just take the safest option. PlanA is follow the purple tunnel, hopefully that will take in every pebble that Mark has lovingly arranged for us.

There are some that were missed off, probably due to weight-of-numbers and so risk to other road/trail users:

— Imm after leaving Llandrindod, cross bridge then turn L into lane then 2x R @ T to L @ T to rejoin route — exactly the same distance, but off the main road (not that at 6am it's going to make much difference)
— You can do a nifty Larrington Manoeuvre to avoid the Devil's Staircase, which is an ugly ramp — bear R to forestry track at bottom where the Elenydd checkpoint usually is, then keep L at each T to R @ road at top — it's a much steadier gradient than the Staircase and more gravelly (and credit to Iddu for that, back in 2013)
— The disused railway across the Cors Caron nature reserve after Tregaron — SA thru car park past building to R @ track; then R @ T (at end of 5km track) soon 1st L and SO @ X to rejoin the routesheet route to climb up to Claerwen Farm.
— The waterside track along Garreg-Ddu reservoir — take the gate on LHS before the T after crossing Garreg-Ddu Dam, then at end cross directly to track as shown in photo — it's flat and gravelly, where the road is slightly lumpy, and there will almost certainly be families out with kids, so care required — pedestrians have priority, as on all shared-use paths, of course.
— After Llanidloes, there's an alternative route through Hafren Forest that takes in the lakeside — Hafren itself is a lovely run, but I rode it a couple of times last year, so I'm going waterside for a change.
— After Tywyn, the routesheet takes a direct, 15min route to the gravelly NCN8/82 ascent up past Cader Idris, but the GPX takes in a 25min loop around the picturesque Dysinni Valley, which seems ample time to let a bag of fish&chips settle ;)
— After Vrynwy there are a couple of extra BOATs that could be included, but unfortunately the steep descents (>10%) on road tyres and rim brakes mean I'm sticking to the tarmac for those!

The real question, though, is whether to try to ride through the ford before Claerwen Farm, or wade the bike through?

The real question, though, is whether to try to ride through the ford before Claerwen Farm, or wade the bike through?

Afon Claerddu ford?

or http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/411693

Probably a shoes off and wade job for me...  :) 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels

Afon Claerddu ford?

or http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/411693

Probably a shoes off and wade job for me...  :)

That's the one  :thumbsup:

I think I'll see what it's like when we get there, and how I'm feeling balance-wise (on a road bike on a distinctly off-road section).

Phil W

You could always set proximity alarms on your GPS that say Gravel or Road or some such so you know which to take when you get to the confusing bits.

chillmoister

• King of Compton
if the small lanes are anything like some of those around Hampshire and West Sussex after this Winter it is going to be difficult to tell the difference between off and on road sections.
appearing in a tea room near you

simonp

I am definitely a DNS as I have not ridden more than about 110km in a day this year. Not fit enough for a 600k, especially not one with additional challenges.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Has anyone actually bought a drink - in sweaty lycra - at the Cross Foxes Inn?? It looks very powsh inside:)

[This might be the first time I pass it at beer O'clock ... ]

Has never ridden RAAM
---------

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
Has anyone actually bought a drink - in sweaty lycra - at the Cross Foxes Inn?? It looks very powsh inside:)

[This might be the first time I pass it at beer O'clock ... ]

Yes — a group of Welsh Ride Thing riders did.  It's very powsh inside and a bit pricey, apparently.