Author Topic: Leather saddle treatment  (Read 997 times)

Leather saddle treatment
« on: 08 November, 2021, 09:15:34 pm »
Here we go then, anything offering better rain resistance than the Spa leather cream for my collection of Aire saddles?

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m18b0s204p2976/SPA-CYCLES-Leather-Cream-60ml
Ingredients: Carnuba, Water, Polyurethane, Paraffin, Turpentine

Proofide?
Ingredients: Tallow, Cod oil, Vegetable oil, Paraffin wax, Beeswax, and Citronella oil.

I have inherited a pot of NAF leather balm..
https://www.naf-equine.eu/uk/tack-care/sheer-luxe-leather-balsam
Key Ingredients Lanolin,Beeswax

I have a feeling this will soften the leather. Best kept for saddlebag buckles and straps

Re: Leather saddle treatment
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2021, 01:15:55 pm »
Rubber shower cap?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2021, 04:54:37 pm »
A traditional leather saddle treatment is Dubbin, it lacks the solvents of leather creams so doesn't soak in/evaporate as rapidly. Best applied in a warm (preferably hot) environment if you want it to penetrate the leather, rather than sitting on the surface. Wipe off any surpluss waxiness before riding.

I have used it on my Spa Aires, it repairs scuffs etc very nicely as well. Tends to put a high gloss (waterprrof) finish on the leather.

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:52:27 pm »
Thanks, that's useful information.

« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2021, 10:32:29 pm »
I think that if you want some weather resistance, use a tack oil and then polish off with pure carnuba wax.

I have some carnuba wax here, will give it a go. If you don't hear from me, it is because I've slipped off my saddle and fallen into a bog.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2021, 11:41:35 am »
My 12 ish year old Spa Nidd, was feeling a bit firm and felt rather biscuit like. So a couple of years ago I treated it to 3 helpings of cooking oil, with 2 fingers dipped in said oil, then smeared/rubbed in/on/under the lip of the addle. First coat disappeared in no time , second one a little while longer, third  one (next day) was left to dry in the sun . I've since repeated with only one application, once since then. Feels a bit like a horse saddle , but due to the mesh underneath , still holds it shape.