Author Topic: Fixing dodgy paint - oh fork!  (Read 1055 times)

Fixing dodgy paint - oh fork!
« on: 30 November, 2021, 10:16:22 pm »
So I got a cheapy (£35 w/ postage) fork to put on my folding bike. It's a 26" fork going onto a 24" bike mind but I think that'll work well enough as I've had trouble finding 24" disc forks for a sensible price. Given the axle to crown sizes of the current and new forks there's only about an inch in it.

However when it arrived I found the paint on the back of the crown, crown race & steerer tube if in a bit of a state as pictured below.

I've been back to the supplier and my choices are a tenner back if I reckon I can sort the paint. Or return for a full refund inc return postage but they don't expect new stock untill mid 2022. Apparently the eBay ad mentioned paint issues due to "being packaged whilst still hot from curing". Though I bought direct from the website which didn't say this and neither does subsequent eBay perusal.

How much work is involved in getting a good enough finish to protect the steel? I really don't care about aesthetics on this bike just as long as it's functional. Is wire-brushing/wooling off the crap paint, and rattlecan primer followed by rattlecan black going to be sufficient? Any issues likely where new primer and paint overlap the extant decent paint? Or should I just give up on and send them back? Most of the other forks I've found have been £100+. And there's all the faff of sorting postage.

Faux-edit: I have just found these which didn't appear whatsover during my previous searching: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144304861839 Might actually be a better choice though it doesn't say whether it's a 1" or 1 1/8" steerer. I'd expect 1 1/8" especially as originally on a trials bike. Hmmm now I'm really torn.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Re: Fixing dodgy paint - oh fork!
« Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2021, 10:23:32 am »
A quick google suggests that the Onza Bird was a 20" wheel bike? 

I'd have thought that the fork you have would be easily sorted if you're not worried about finish quality. I'd probably just flat it down and paint it with Smoothrite, but primer + finish as you suggest also works.  Has the paint that's on there hardened off ok, though? If the steel is covered, is it even necessary to repaint it?  The steerer tube portion could just be coated with waxoyle or similar, as it's inside the headtube.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2021, 01:24:15 pm »
I'd just rattle-can it.

Back in 2005 when I started my website I blogged about restoring my old schoolbike with hammerite.    http://www.nuttycyclist.co.uk/cycling/oldmtb-restore.htm   

That bike still looks as it did when photographed 16 years ago, despite it being the shopping bike and not had the love and attention of indoor storage for the last many years.

« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2021, 07:00:45 pm »
Good catch Phil but looking at some photos of complete bikes it looks like there's a lot of space between tyre and crown making me think it's 20" wheels in a 24" fork.

And the dodgy paint is cracked through to the steel in places.

Given that the two Onza forks I've seen on eBay look like they're in decent condition (and the seller has confirmed they are 1&1/8" steerer) and are the same price as the dodgy paint fork I'm inclined to go for a return and get one of them. Otherwise I'll likely spend more than the tenner refund on paint and the faff of actually doing it.

On the other hand I've got the faff of post offices and lugging boxes about.

Decisions decisions. I think I'll decide in the morning.

« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2021, 07:53:25 pm »
You were right Phil, the Onza fork arrived today and there's maybe 3mm clearance between the tyre and the fork crown. I guess I could take some material off the crown as it's robust to say the least but then I'm back at painting anyway.

I guess with the first fork that leaves me lots of room for the mudguards and whatnot.

This is all turning into a bit of a palaver.  :facepalm:

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2021, 08:29:51 am »
You were right Phil, the Onza fork arrived today and there's maybe 3mm clearance between the tyre and the fork crown. I guess I could take some material off the crown as it's robust to say the least but then I'm back at painting anyway.

I guess with the first fork that leaves me lots of room for the mudguards and whatnot.

This is all turning into a bit of a palaver.  :facepalm:

:-[  Drat! There are times when you really want to be wrong (and they don't all involve Brexit!)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2021, 09:50:36 am »
One of my bikes doesn't have enough clearance under the fork crown, so the mudguard is cut short at the crown, next to the bracket. The only downside is that the underside of the crown gets dirtier.

« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2021, 10:08:40 am »
I considered that. But it's really close. Though as a work mate pointed out I could stick a smaller tyre in there which would help a bit.

I lose track but I think it's a 507-50 at the moment. Might shift the 45 marathon plus from the back and see how much wiggle room that gives me.

That or use the bigger fork and slim the IS adapter down. I have access to a machine shop but not awfully keen on altering brake components too much.