Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2483933 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20600 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:42:53 pm »
Cripes, GWS!

(Is the bike okay?)

« Reply #20601 on: 01 February, 2019, 04:28:10 pm »
Cripes, GWS!

(Is the bike okay?)
I think so. Haven't checked yet. Released from hospital.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #20602 on: 01 February, 2019, 06:35:40 pm »
Ouch! GWS! anything/one else involved?

« Reply #20603 on: 01 February, 2019, 07:16:32 pm »
Released sounds like good news. I hope you’re ok.

« Reply #20604 on: 01 February, 2019, 07:35:40 pm »
Ouch! GWS! anything/one else involved?
No idea, I have a 4 hour gap in my memory. Most likely I fell on ice.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20605 on: 03 February, 2019, 09:14:15 pm »
On which subject...going out in the car this morning, -5 degrees and packed, shiny, sheet ice on our road.  Coming the other way was a girl on an MTB doing her paper round.  Normal MTB tyres, normal non-bike clothes, not even a woolly hat, steering with one hand while texting with the other.  It gave me the fantods just to look at her.

I assume she's never fallen off on ice!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #20606 on: 05 February, 2019, 11:06:09 am »
Had a fairly rare (for me) nasty close pass by an anonymous transit at 45-60mph, as oncoming HGV approached.  Close enough for me to have been able to touch the side of the van.  I was in nearside tyre track (A-road) and transit hardly even crossed the centre line...   >:(  I do VIRB my commute and was tempted to submit via Nextbase, but can't see much being done...  Really annoyed me for quite a while post incident.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #20607 on: 05 February, 2019, 11:27:29 am »
Crashed. Hit head. Face full of grit. In hospital for observation as have memory loss.

Just seen this - hope the recovery goes well.

« Reply #20608 on: 05 February, 2019, 07:42:40 pm »
Crashed. Hit head. Face full of grit. In hospital for observation as have memory loss.
Bugger. Hope you get back on the bike soon.
Rust never sleeps

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #20609 on: 05 February, 2019, 11:36:08 pm »
Hopefully the driver will be...
Follow up. Very nice policeman (why are they all so young these days) took a statement and was hoping his sergeant would let him do the visit. Didn't see much hope of a prosecution by the Fiscal as there was no collision but seemed happy to nick the owner for no tax (and hence no insurance) and give them a stern talking to.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #20610 on: 06 February, 2019, 07:59:17 am »
Pleasant ride in this morning especially after last nights soaking. Still dropping below freezing at night, so not much manky spray from the canal path this morning.

« Reply #20611 on: 06 February, 2019, 08:43:25 pm »
Mild (7-8C) ride back, but hit two holes that actually made my bell ping.  Fortunately 65psi in the front 28mm was wasn't* enough to avoid pinch p$nctures.

*flat the next morning.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #20612 on: 06 February, 2019, 10:08:42 pm »
Just seen this - GWS mrcharly

Nice, mild ride home today, past the queues of stationary traffic caused by a crash on the only main road through wetwet Cumbria. I think I could've felt more smug if I hadn't had to fix a puncture before I could ride home ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20613 on: 13 February, 2019, 07:13:15 am »
Halfway home yesterday, a driver decided to pull over and then U-turn as I overtook him. Bike is fine but I had to ride home one-handed. It took an hour for me to get dressed this morning, despite relying on the power of swear. I think my left rotator cuff is gone, judging by past injuries. Time to hassle the GP this morning.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20614 on: 13 February, 2019, 07:16:06 am »
And the police. Hope you recover soon

« Reply #20615 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:12:47 am »
And the police. Hope you recover soon

Absolutely. It's just complete negligence, it wouldn't be tolerated on a work site yet we're all allowed to kill each other out on the road and claim SMIDSY. 

« Reply #20616 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:22:31 am »
Troubling one for me this morning. I rode in, left at 6am, takes me about 35mins.

Near the end of my journey, there is a long stretch of A road with an accompanying cycle path/pavement. It's in pretty bad condition, lumpy and bumpy, but not alot worse than the road next to it. Some commuting cyclists refuse to use it, as is their want (If i was on <25mm tyres, I probably wouldn't either), and incurr the wrath of the baying mob of cagers.

I used it, but I join it slightly later than people would like to avoid 2x turnings that make the cycle path deviate so that you are required to look behind you to see if it's safe to cross. So, I bypass that crap infrastructure design and join it just before it goes from 30 to NSL.

As i indicated and moved off the road onto the cycle path, a Honda SUV thing came alongside (still in the 30) with his FL wheel on the white line, almost scuffing the curb. They then accelerated away harshly as they got to the NSL sign. I can only take that as a punishment pass / "get on the cycle path you lycra ***". If you're THAT unhappy at 0630 on fairly uncongested roads, I really pity you.

Spoiled what was an otherwise nice ride in.

« Reply #20617 on: 13 February, 2019, 06:35:26 pm »
hit the deck this morning

went over some diesel whilst cornering and lost it at ~30km/h

left brifter is smashed beyond repair, grazed right knee, tender palms from impact, pride wounded

« Reply #20618 on: 13 February, 2019, 08:19:48 pm »
Woah ! A fast crash. Bad, but sounds like it could have been worse.

« Reply #20619 on: 13 February, 2019, 08:27:41 pm »
hit the deck this morning

went over some diesel whilst cornering and lost it at ~30km/h

left brifter is smashed beyond repair, grazed right knee, tender palms from impact, pride wounded
Left brifter and right knee !  That sounds spectacular. Hope you get mended soon.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20620 on: 13 February, 2019, 08:30:53 pm »
I had my first shout of "Get in the cycle lane you **&*@@ this morning. Haven't had one of those in months.

Bless.

Except that the wound up twat deliberately took up half the cycle lane so I couldn't go past him on that side and then swung out wide when I tried going past him on the outside. And, to top it all, at the point where I did go past him and he delivered his well thought through witticism, the cycle lane is no more.

Twat.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #20621 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:06:18 pm »
Woah ! A fast crash. Bad, but sounds like it could have been worse.

Fast but not much sliding, fortunately

Left brifter and right knee !  That sounds spectacular. Hope you get mended soon.

I'm sure it was quite a show for the driver behind me and the one waiting to join the roundabout to my left. Not feeling too bad all things considered.

edit: just watched the video, down and then back up and on the pavement in 10 seconds. adrenaline's awesome

« Reply #20622 on: 20 February, 2019, 08:16:32 am »
I was about 50 yards away when a badger wandered out from a wooded verge and sat down in my path. I gave the traditional badger warning shout - 'Oy! Badger!' - and it wandered over to the other side of the road, sat down and watched as I passed.

« Reply #20623 on: 21 February, 2019, 12:53:40 pm »
Not going to lie, coming off turning right on a slippery mini rab, spoiled the commute somewhat.  Not too bad, couple of grazes on leg & achey hand; scraped STI lever & hood.

« Reply #20624 on: 21 February, 2019, 01:43:44 pm »
Saw it was going to be warm today, so wore 3/4's but also needed to lose the jacket.  Its suprising to think that the coldest weather of last winter came at the end of Feb and into March.