Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2497021 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #7725 on: 09 November, 2011, 12:36:57 pm »
Second day of commuting on fixed. Did my 31km route in. Managed not to use the brakes, even down Barrington Hill. Put my foot down twice. I'm finding trackstanding harder fixed than with gears, mainly because it's a bigger gear than I'd normally trackstand in. Going to try for no brakes, no dabs on the way home. Averaged just shy of 27kph, which I was pretty pleased with given the dicking around I did.

Which way?

Actually, ignore that question - either way down Barrington Hill would be something.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7726 on: 09 November, 2011, 01:12:35 pm »
On the way in, I was nearly sideswiped by a bimbo in a bimmer (failed to look to her left before pulling out of a side road on the right, which is also just before a pinch point in the road - she looked extremely shocked when I yelled out inches from her side window, although I'd anticipated and braked hard enough that we'd not have actually made contact).

I've witnessed the MattH motorist yell.  It's fearsome.

« Reply #7727 on: 09 November, 2011, 01:28:59 pm »
Second day of commuting on fixed. Did my 31km route in. Managed not to use the brakes, even down Barrington Hill. Put my foot down twice. I'm finding trackstanding harder fixed than with gears, mainly because it's a bigger gear than I'd normally trackstand in. Going to try for no brakes, no dabs on the way home. Averaged just shy of 27kph, which I was pretty pleased with given the dicking around I did.

Which way?

Actually, ignore that question - either way down Barrington Hill would be something.

The way down to Barrington. Not brave enough to try it down to the T-junction in Haslingfield yet.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #7728 on: 09 November, 2011, 07:00:51 pm »
Close overtake by a BMW 2 seater going way too fast in a 30mph zone.
He was not at all chuffed that I overtook him 3 times after that over the next 6km on the way out of Sheffield....  :D

« Reply #7729 on: 09 November, 2011, 07:55:38 pm »
Yay - did the 28.5km route home with no brakes and no dabs, despite the railway crossing barriers being down. Managed to average over 27kph too. This fixed business is good fun.

« Reply #7730 on: 09 November, 2011, 08:04:51 pm »
i think the bump on the head is why i don't remember it. I have no recollection of even leaving work. It'll come back slowly.

Hope you're better soon.
It does seem like an elaborate scheme to get the phone number of a nurse, it has to be said. ;)

« Reply #7731 on: 09 November, 2011, 09:29:29 pm »
I crossed central London this afternoon, which was an experience as it was in lockdown mode due to the student demos. Lots of roads blocked with lines of police and black helicopters above. The police generally let me through, so I was riding down deserted roads (The Strand, Fleet St etc).  Got a little bit lost around Spitalfields , then spent some time trying to find the right building at Canada Square. I used parts of the London Sightseer route - I knew this audax lark would come in useful  :thumbsup:

A good run back, but lots of stationary traffic going towards Trafalgar Square (all of which seemed to be black cabs).

A total of 96 miles today; didn't quite get the century, but not bad for a working day  :thumbsup:

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #7732 on: 09 November, 2011, 10:06:16 pm »
I've been keeping an eye on travel reports as I'm involved in an event in Waterloo this evening. The TfL website was saying 'Due to large numbers of black cabs traffic is slow moving in Trafalgar Square.'
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #7733 on: 09 November, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »

« Reply #7734 on: 09 November, 2011, 10:29:21 pm »
Why when South Gloucestershire Council want to do a survey of the traffic ( which at 7:00 in the morning is stationery ) do they place their 'surveyors' right in the middle of one of the busiest cycle routes in Bristol.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7735 on: 09 November, 2011, 10:33:14 pm »
To make their cycling stats look better?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7736 on: 10 November, 2011, 02:03:13 pm »
More on my crash.

That's me that is.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #7737 on: 10 November, 2011, 02:08:10 pm »
More on my crash.

That's me that is.

Crumbs, that's scary. Not a good way to get yourself in the paper. Hope you get better with all speed.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #7738 on: 10 November, 2011, 02:16:30 pm »
More on my crash.

That's me that is.

Blimey Charlie, you're in your 50's?  :o

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7739 on: 10 November, 2011, 02:21:25 pm »
Glad to see it referred to as an "incident".

Hope yer bonce heals soon.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7740 on: 10 November, 2011, 03:18:06 pm »
No comments yet...
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7741 on: 10 November, 2011, 03:22:13 pm »
More on my crash.

That's me that is.

Blimey Charlie, you're in your 50's?  :o

That was my reaction too - Tim, I think I've met you only once irl (on Mad Jack's a few years ago) but I would have placed you the right side of 40. Proof that cycling takes years off you!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #7742 on: 10 November, 2011, 10:22:01 pm »
No comments yet...
There is scope. I for instance am overjoyed to read that the driver of the car was unhurt.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7743 on: 10 November, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »
Oh lordy.
I've agreed to meet someone tomorrow morning at 06:00 for a 40 mile ride in over the cairn, and I'm a whole bottle of red in.

< not the first time>

--
R

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7744 on: 10 November, 2011, 11:03:07 pm »
No comments yet...
There is scope. I for instance am overjoyed to read that the driver of the car was unhurt.

I was pleased that the piece didn't mention whether or not you were wearing one of those things.

Hope the recovery continues and the other outcomes are satisfactory
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #7745 on: 11 November, 2011, 12:14:29 am »
No comments yet...

I'm first commenter. Though I can understand why there aren't any others. It took me five goes to get through the captcha test.

Anyhow, in case you're wondering, the "***" is "WTF", which apparently this paper deems unacceptable.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7746 on: 11 November, 2011, 07:34:10 am »
I was pleased that the piece didn't mention whether or not you were wearing one of those things.
I was expecting that as first comment.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7747 on: 11 November, 2011, 07:43:06 am »
No comments yet...

That wa my first thought.  Why the feck do they always insist on putting that in?

GWS Tim  :-*
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7748 on: 11 November, 2011, 12:17:22 pm »
Made schoolboy error on commute in today on fixie...The rear p fairy visited and on trying to changing tube discovered that 15mm spanner was not in rucksack....:-(

JohnT

« Reply #7749 on: 11 November, 2011, 01:28:32 pm »
Went up and down Barrington Hill in both directions yesterday. Coming down it today, my new leg braking muscles were really feeling it, so I let the bike have a run. Did 52kph @ 161rpm.