Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2496709 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #10100 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:14:54 am »
Jurek.

Ok. So let's give this another go then.

Jurek

Top stuff.

Relevant bits crossed.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #10101 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:19:35 am »
Indeed. :thumbsup:

Keep it up (hopefully).

I've spent far too long not commuting this year, so I'm determined to keep going, even though I'm using sub-optimal bikes for it.

(Most finish building the new commuter...)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10102 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:26:48 am »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10103 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:34:22 am »
I had an interesting commute this morning. 

Firstly, Buterfly & I set out a bit late (knackered after the weekend, and trying to do boring home stuff round the edges - kudos to Butterfly for managing so much laundry! :thumbsup: ).  But it was sunny, and Butterfly's legs obviously still thought they were on the Van Nicholas, because she got the tandem moving really well.

Loads of cyclists in Streatham was pleasing to see, and Butterfly had a big grin on her face all the way to work.

OK, so we were delayed by the level crossing gates being down for three trains, but it didn't break our rhythm too much.  And the car which pulled out on her at one roundabout and the car which was dissuaded from doing so by my impersonation of a car horn at the next roundabout didn't mar the mood.  Nor did the car which was reversing onto the road without looking, to whom I gave a stern 'NO!'.  I felt a bit like Barbra Woodouse, though I can manage without the plaid skirt.

I saw a chap carrying a bike over his shoulder.  I noticed that the carbon forks were completely snapped through.  Wondering how it was that he was walking after such a catastrophic failure, I wheeled around and stopped to check he was OK.

He's a courier (though no work today, I fear).  A little hungover, he explained that he hadn't been on the bike when it happened.  It seems there had been some misunderstanding after he had crashed out at someone's flat last night, and the disgruntled other party had sent the bike in freefall from the top of the block of flats.  Given that, it is amazing that the rest of the frame looked so good.  But the forks, as I say, were snapped, and the front wheel was more heart shaped than round.  I suspect he was hoping to salvage the hub.

Anyway, rather than go to a bike shop first off, he was heading for a beer and a sit down in the sunshine.  He seemed cheerful enough in the circumstances, so I wished him well, and rode on.

Lastly, I saw Peewit.  Or, rather, he saw me and waved as he passed by along New Kent Road.  Good to see a friend cycling happily. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #10104 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:37:09 am »
Miss Dan the Elder did rush hour traffic for the first time, on the way to school. She showed good road sense and everyone was courteous to everyone else, even after I'd dropped the Misses off.  :thumbsup:

Si_Co

« Reply #10105 on: 28 May, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »
Cracking ride in even if I did end up with an unplanned aerial protein breakfast as i came down Warburton Bridge   :sick:

« Reply #10106 on: 28 May, 2012, 01:18:08 pm »
Train today, just to remind me why I don't more often.

Going into the station there was a blind chap, trying to cope with the Monday morning crowds, whose collective way of dealing with it was to try to avoid running into him but otherwise treat him as an obstacle. What was everyone afraid of? Did they think blindness is contagious? I have to say, given the way people behaved maybe it is. All it needed was a couple of minutes to help him onto his platform, he should not have had to feel grateful. Sometimes, my fellow humans make me feel a little dirty.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #10107 on: 28 May, 2012, 04:41:24 pm »
Jurek.

Jurek
Hope it went well.  Commute and working day.  And best wishes for many more good ones to come.
Looking forward to your commute comment later!

« Reply #10108 on: 28 May, 2012, 08:51:32 pm »
Jurek.

Jurek

Oooo, good luck!

« Reply #10109 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:03:05 pm »
Hope it went well.  Commute and working day.  And best wishes for many more good ones to come.

It did. Thanx (All).

And trains (sometimes) suck.

On the fixer tomorrow. \0/

Oh, I guess that means I'm going back...

« Reply #10110 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:06:09 pm »

It did. Thanx.

Top stuff!  All the best for day 2 of the commute.

« Reply #10111 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:17:28 pm »

It did. Thanx.

Top stuff!  All the best for day 2 of the commute.

Ta!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10112 on: 28 May, 2012, 09:38:27 pm »
*wonders whether he can ride up to Jurek's in time to commute down to his work with him* ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #10113 on: 29 May, 2012, 09:18:08 am »
30 minutes door to door at a pace sufficiently unrapid so as not to break into a sweat  :).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10114 on: 29 May, 2012, 11:11:11 am »
Last night, my commute went over the river and along Embankment as far as Putney Bridge.  Into Richmond Park, where I eased off to ride over Spankers Hill while being all Fotherington-Thomas ('Hello birds!  Hello sky!  Hello deer next to the road!').

As I turned back on to the perimeter road, a chap on a Langster said 'Thanks for the tow up Priory Lane' :D

tbh, I knew there was someone there, but I thought it was an MTBer who'd pissed me off on Richmond Rd, so I was wondering why he hadn't been shaken off as I raised the speed. ;D

Rather than go home the usual way, I had looked at a map and seen a more direct route to get to the stupidmarket at Rose Hill.  Coombe Lane.  Seemed inoffensive enough, but I have now learned about another hill in SW London of which I was not previously aware, but I was acutely aware at the time of my introduction, especially in my legs.

But it was a reasonable route nonetheless, and I did have a long descent before winding through really quiet back streets before being spewed out onto a dual carriageway up to Rose Hill.

After buying slightly more than I has bag space for (I removed a load of excessive packaging to make it all fit), I was glad that the route home was mainly downhill.

A nice sunny commute.  Lots of people just having fun.  Lovely.
Getting there...

Si_Co

« Reply #10115 on: 29 May, 2012, 12:39:14 pm »
A tailwind and a race with a colleague for the last 3 miles, bike beats smart car  :thumbsup:

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #10116 on: 29 May, 2012, 12:41:15 pm »
Was ready to set off early & have a steady 50min ride into work this morning. However, a flat back tyre meant a 40min/19mph avg thrash to get me in with 5mins to spare  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10117 on: 29 May, 2012, 01:03:08 pm »
 :thumbsup: to the last four posts.

<fast show>Isn't cycling brilliant?</fast show>

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10118 on: 29 May, 2012, 01:40:00 pm »
I had a 3 leg commute this morning. Stage 1 was down to work to cajole 150 students onto buses at 7:30 in the morning. Amazingly, only 3 slept in and missed them). Then I went back home the long way (5 miles instead of 2) to have breakfast and pick up 300 exam scripts I collected last night on the way home. Stage 2 was back into work (well within 200 yards of work) when I remembered that, whilst I'd remembered the 300 scripts stacked in boxes on the rack, I'd forgotten another 50 which were stuffed in a messenger bag. Stupidly, I just turned around and rode back home to collect the messenger bag which was still sitting on the stairs. I should have offloaded the scripts I did have at work first. Stage 3 was to return with the bag as well.

Fortunately, its only a short commute, but it does mean I've already climbed "that sodding hill" twice and I've a re-run this evening on the way home.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #10119 on: 29 May, 2012, 01:55:42 pm »
Last night, my commute went over the river and along Embankment as far as Putney Bridge.  Into Richmond Park, where I eased off to ride over Spankers Hill while being all Fotherington-Thomas ('Hello birds!  Hello sky!  Hello deer next to the road!').

As I turned back on to the perimeter road, a chap on a Langster said 'Thanks for the tow up Priory Lane' :D

tbh, I knew there was someone there, but I thought it was an MTBer who'd pissed me off on Richmond Rd, so I was wondering why he hadn't been shaken off as I raised the speed. ;D

Rather than go home the usual way, I had looked at a map and seen a more direct route to get to the stupidmarket at Rose Hill.  Coombe Lane.  Seemed inoffensive enough, but I have now learned about another hill in SW London of which I was not previously aware, but I was acutely aware at the time of my introduction, especially in my legs.

But it was a reasonable route nonetheless, and I did have a long descent before winding through really quiet back streets before being spewed out onto a dual carriageway up to Rose Hill.

After buying slightly more than I has bag space for (I removed a load of excessive packaging to make it all fit), I was glad that the route home was mainly downhill.

A nice sunny commute.  Lots of people just having fun.  Lovely.

He He, Coombe Lane aka 'use the effing cycle lane alley'.

« Reply #10120 on: 29 May, 2012, 01:56:21 pm »
Some sort of major incident on Tooting Bec Road up towards Mitcham Road had the whole road closed and cordoned off. Not sure why, but I hope no-one has been hurt.

« Reply #10121 on: 29 May, 2012, 03:36:56 pm »
@Alexb - it was a serious collision. A female runner was hit by a car at about 7.30am this morning. I arrived just before the paramedics and it was a distressing scene. I hope the woman pulls through.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10122 on: 29 May, 2012, 03:45:52 pm »
Fingers crossed.
Getting there...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10123 on: 29 May, 2012, 08:23:39 pm »
Surprisingly cold and damp today, after yesterday's sunshine.
On the top of the hill, it was dense heavy cloud of the all-penetrating wetness kind, and it condensed on everything making much wetness.   The subsequent descent was correspondingly cold.

So now the question arises: Will the Snow Roads have snow, hail, or sunshine?  ( The wind is assumed. )
I think I'm going to need a big pack to cover the eventualities.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10124 on: 29 May, 2012, 08:49:25 pm »
Second commute of the week for me and two more planned which considering I usually only grace the office with my presence once a week is a bit of a shock to the system!  The good weather seems to have drawn all of the fair weather cyclists out, either that or the realisation of how utterly grim the tube will be on a day like today.

Whilst it's great to see so many cyclists out on the road even if their tyres are flat and their drivetrains rusty and in need of adjustment I wish they'd show more common sense. Too many rljers and way too many who, just because they've seen the highlights of a stage of the Tour de France on Channel 4 about 6 years  ago think they know about bunch riding*. FFS, leave more space when you're overtaking and get off my back wheel, my well adjusted disc brakes will stop me faster than your poorly maintained rim brakes could ever dream of and I'd enjoy the resulting involuntary colonoscopy from your head down posture than you would.

Oops, this has turned into a bit of a rant, it really was both a nice ride in and back!

*For the record I probablly have little bunch riding experience than them save to say that I don't enjoy it, even moreso in heavy traffic, and especially with riders I don't know.