Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2496691 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #14150 on: 23 September, 2013, 10:43:21 am »
Fog with idiots in fog. Most of them had put their lights on. Honestly, car manufacturers who make silver cars should be painted silver themselves and stood on a dual carriageway in the fog.

And warm again - back to just a single summerweight top and shorts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14151 on: 23 September, 2013, 11:00:48 am »
For the first time in weeks, I was on the commute.

Missed it, amazingly.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #14152 on: 23 September, 2013, 01:09:51 pm »
You know how some drivers see a bike and it triggers a pavlovian need to overtake, regardless of circumstances?

I was following a van along Southwark Street this morning, at about 20mph, and the taxi driver behind me kept trying to edge past, even though I was keeping pace with the van and assertively taking the lane, so he would come alongside me a bit, then have to drop back when we reached a pinch point.

Psychologically, he probably saw it as me who was holding him up rather than the van.

What can you do?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14153 on: 23 September, 2013, 01:13:00 pm »
Uzi.  It's the only language they understand.
Getting there...

« Reply #14154 on: 23 September, 2013, 02:21:53 pm »
You know how some drivers see a bike and it triggers a pavlovian need to overtake, regardless of circumstances?

I was following a van along Southwark Street this morning, at about 20mph, and the taxi driver behind me kept trying to edge past, even though I was keeping pace with the van and assertively taking the lane, so he would come alongside me a bit, then have to drop back when we reached a pinch point.

Psychologically, he probably saw it as me who was holding him up rather than the van.

What can you do?

Yes, I was struggling to understand the motivation of the woman driving the XC90 in front of me who was attempting to push past a woman cycling with a child in a child-seat and a small child (about 8 I'd guess) on a small bike in front of her. Even from my position behind the 4WD I could see the parked car on the right after the bend, so knew that the Volvo would not fit - but she just. kept.. trying...

Of course, in her car was a single, perfect, offspring, surrounded by two tons of privilege driven by an idiot.

This was on a 90 degree, blind, right hand bend

citoyen

« Reply #14155 on: 23 September, 2013, 02:22:32 pm »
I find it hard to believe that they are capable of anything so evolutionarily advanced as language.

citoyen

« Reply #14156 on: 23 September, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »
Of course, in her car was a single, perfect, offspring, surrounded by two tons of privilege driven by an idiot.

Beautifully put.  ;D

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #14157 on: 23 September, 2013, 05:12:38 pm »
The sun came out and apart from the sudden glut of unmarked police cars blue and twosing through Tooting it was a nice trip home.

« Reply #14158 on: 23 September, 2013, 08:04:18 pm »
On the way into work, there was some filming going on at one of these shops, on Abbeville Road.  I could see that it was going on, because I could see the lights almost from the A205, once I went around the slight turn where Abbeville Road joins the south circular.  this is several hundred foot away, in normal daylight conditions so bright lights.

I couldn't see exactly what they were doing, whether they were filming outside of the shop, or whether it was "sunlight" shining through the window, and was late enough for work that I didn't want to stop and see what was going on.  Slightly interesting.  I only catch something being filmed every couple of years in London (on average).  I guess I don't spend enough time around the high profile stuff, which probably has film crews around fairly regularly!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #14159 on: 24 September, 2013, 08:38:53 am »
Fog. People driving slower than usual on dipped headlights :thumbsup: BMW barrelling along on full-beam ::-)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #14160 on: 24 September, 2013, 08:44:49 am »
Shame I didn't look out the window when I woke up - I would have left home earlier to enjoy the fog.

Drivers were good, but I couldn't believe the number of cyclists not using lights.  :facepalm: Yes, it's 'day', but visibility is poor. 
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #14161 on: 24 September, 2013, 08:58:02 am »
Shame I didn't look out the window when I woke up - I would have left home earlier to enjoy the fog.

Drivers were good, but I couldn't believe the number of cyclists not using lights.  :facepalm: Yes, it's 'day', but visibility is poor.

Agreed, there were lots of people cycling like idiots out there this morning. No lights, wobbling all over the place, riding on pavements and RLJing. Seriously, the conditions were tricky but people cycle like dicks.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14162 on: 24 September, 2013, 09:52:04 am »
Well I managed to make it to the gorup ride point before they set off today (we are having a cycle to work week). Unfortunately that meant that there were three of us, and all of us are in the CUG.

On the plus side, despite the low take up of organised commutes* there are a lot more bikes on site this week, and the Police security marking people were very busy yesterday when they came to site. Hopefully that will keep up for the next few days as well :)

7:30 is still the worng time to arrive at site though, far too much traffic compared to my normal 8:20 arrival time.

*We are running these rides because in our roadshow survey one of the main responses to 'what would encourage you to ride to work' was to be shown safe routes to site.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

simonp

« Reply #14163 on: 24 September, 2013, 10:35:29 am »
Thick fog on the A38 on Red Hill. Heavy traffic in Bristol, I overtook many of the cars that passed me in the fog.

fuzzy

« Reply #14164 on: 24 September, 2013, 10:40:38 am »
Left an hour early this morning as Swindon Town FC are entertaining Jose and his Chelsea Boys this evening- need to get away early to bag a parking space and a good bench to nom my chish and fips before the game.

It was dark so had to deploy the headlight for the first time this autumn (Joystick on a helmet mount). It was also foggy. I was silver by the time I arrived at work ;D

Had to take my clears off as well- too bloddy misted to see through.

citoyen

« Reply #14165 on: 24 September, 2013, 10:50:10 am »
Not the widest road, me cycling one way, bus stopped on opposite side.

Predictably, numpty behind tried to overtake me, while numpty coming other way tried to come round bus.

Head-on collision only narrowly avoided.

The mind boggles.

« Reply #14166 on: 24 September, 2013, 10:53:06 am »
Bike = 'Must overtake'

'nuff said.
Rust never sleeps

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14167 on: 24 September, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »
An eventful ride in to work this morning.  As I was descending a hill in a traffic queue my left hand suddenly lost all resistance from the brake lever. I assumed the cable had pulled through and I could fix it at work. It surprised me to find that my back brake is contributing more to my stopping than my front.  I hate riding in stop start traffic with inadequate braking.

At work I noted that the cable was OK and something more serious has happened.  I have to find a new screw.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14168 on: 24 September, 2013, 01:19:03 pm »
Took the pretty way in this morning.  Came in past East Surrey Hospital, heading for 2nd exit on the roundabout. Driver of car coming in at first exit made as if to go, with me in the way.

I braked and gave her a Hard Stare. She stopped and mouthed an apology. I smiled and blew her a kiss.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14169 on: 24 September, 2013, 03:05:29 pm »

After a bad patch, I was seriously considering turning my rear on, in one of its epilepsy inducing modes, but 30 seconds later I was in bright sunshine.  The fog around Croydon was particularly patchy and localised.  This was at about 9-30, I don't exactly get up early. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #14170 on: 24 September, 2013, 06:38:45 pm »

After a bad patch, I was seriously considering turning my rear on, in one of its epilepsy inducing modes, but 30 seconds later I was in bright sunshine.  The fog around Croydon was particularly patchy and localised.  This was at about 9-30, I don't exactly get up early. ;D

I had fog all the way in, all the way to Albert Bridge. On the North side of the bridge it was clear and bright. I'd love to have seen a view of London from a plane this morning - I'd guess the South side of the city was lost under fog, right up to the Thames and then clear visibility further North.

citoyen

« Reply #14171 on: 24 September, 2013, 07:37:46 pm »
Ride home abandoned due to spoke breakage. FFS.

Lucky I was near a station.

That's three bikes in the workshop now. Ho hum.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #14172 on: 24 September, 2013, 07:53:31 pm »
Well, that was an eventful return journey.

First, the winner of the Bad Parent Award.  It is understandable that if one has to carry a large bag as well as push a pram containing a child one might carry the bag in one hand and push the pram with the other.  That is what today's winner was doing.  "Where's the 'bad' bit?" I hear you ask.  As the woman walked along the pavement carrying her bag, she was pushing the pram along the cycle lane - against the flow of rush hour traffic.  :facepalm:  (Cable Street, for those interested).

Then we had two people standing here, at the bottom of the ramp, between the bollards,  having a chat.  Maybe they were attracted by the pretty blue paint?

I've saved the best for last.  Arrived at a zebra crossing, with a crossing pedestrian, the same time as another cyclist.  Cyclist carries on through, hugging the kerb, just in front of the ped as he was finishing his crossing.  I questioned, in a not overly loud voice, his intelligence.  Ped finished crossing, I carried on and passed said cyclist.  He catches up with me at the next set of lights, says nothing.  A third cyclist comes around us and proceeds to jump the red light.  I say something even less charitable about the RLJer.  At this point the 'zebra-jumper' turns to me and, with a straight face, says "You seem to have a problem with people cycling."  My gob was well and truly smacked, otherwise I would have fallen over laughing.  I was dressed as I usually am on a commute in this weather: jersey, lycra shorts, SPD sandals, mitts, cycling cap.  Obviously I have a problem with cyclists.  ::-)  I replied "No, I have a problem with people who think the law doesn't apply to them just because they're on a bicycle."  The lights turned green, and I went on my merry way, shaking my head in utter disbelief.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #14173 on: 24 September, 2013, 09:29:54 pm »

Herbert's must have you on their Christmas card list by now - I'm assuming it is they that are attending to your needs..... ;)

citoyen

« Reply #14174 on: 24 September, 2013, 09:53:35 pm »

Herbert's must have you on their Christmas card list by now - I'm assuming it is they that are attending to your needs..... ;)

Actually, I mostly prefer the DIY route but I try to put business their way when possible. The owner is a very decent chap.