Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2497024 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #16250 on: 03 December, 2014, 09:41:27 am »
After getting very cold on the way home yesterday I overcompensated this morning.

I thought it would be a really cold one, as everything was freezing up when I went to bed, but by the time I set off this morning it had just about all melted. A tiny bit of frost in the hedges, and lots of noise from the studded tyres.

Just the right time of day to see Muncaster Fell silhouetted against the golden glow of the rising sun too which was nice :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #16251 on: 03 December, 2014, 10:27:24 am »
down south there was a frost on the cars this morning but the roads were damp rather than slippery. I was not on my thickest gloves yet and still using the thin cap under the helmet rather than a wooly hat.

Otherwise an incident free ride in.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #16252 on: 03 December, 2014, 10:32:17 am »
Brighton, old horse, was frost-free, for them's that are interested.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #16253 on: 03 December, 2014, 01:20:42 pm »
Ice on the way up and on the top of Otley Chevin this morning. However, wearing two pairs of socks, thermal longs and tights, baselayer, jersey, armwarmers, gillet, waterproof and two buffs was complete overkill. I was boiled in the bag.

ian

« Reply #16254 on: 04 December, 2014, 03:23:57 pm »
Finally cycled home for the first time in several weeks yesterday (got the train in) owing to a literally side-splittingly and ball-achingly unfunny period of illness. Expected to it to hurt more than it did. London traffic takes a bit of re-adjustment, surprising how quick you become unused to it.

A did have to shed a lot of clothes in Streatham, the climb up Brixton Hill reminded me that it wasn't as cold as I'd imagined it would be. I apologise to the people of Streatham High Street for the impromptu strip-tease.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16255 on: 04 December, 2014, 07:29:09 pm »
Frost free.  Scratched top tube, scuffed saddle.  Don't ask how. Not an off.  Absolutely fucking fuming about it.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16256 on: 04 December, 2014, 08:27:46 pm »
Just realised that for logistical reasons I need to take the train tomorrow.  This will be some sort of record as it will mean that I haven't used the bike to commute for a full week.  I honestly don't remember when that last happened.  (Other than periods of holibobs, obv)
It also means that other than a pub trip on Monday, I've not ridden at all since last Wednesday.  That's 9 days and counting.  That could also be some sort of record.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16257 on: 04 December, 2014, 08:38:39 pm »
It also means that other than a pub trip on Monday, I've not ridden at all since last Wednesday.  That's 9 days and counting.  That could also be some sort of record.

You're missing out: They've done a stunning job decorating the Bristol Road for Christmas this year.  Lots of pretty sparkly stuff glistening at corners...   :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16258 on: 05 December, 2014, 01:36:11 pm »
That reminds me: as I rode to the ACB meeting last night, all the shops on the Gloucester Rd above Pigstye Hill were open although it was almost 8pm, and they had strung lights and decorations all along the pavement and shop fronts. Very pretty it was, as well as a complete surprise to me, and I didn't mind that the traffic was almost rush-hour style.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuzzy

« Reply #16259 on: 05 December, 2014, 08:22:49 pm »
You know that moment when you think you are about to die- when your life flashes before your eyes and you think FUCK ME! ?

Well, I had it tonight. Descending Quarry Wood Road, prolly doing about 30mph having negotiated and accelerated through the mid descent right hairpin. Just before the braking zone for the left hander at the bottom of the hill, as I rode over the slightly rough road surface, the vibration extinguished my front light- suddenly I'm hooning downhill in pitch black :o

By the time I had got to a slightly lighter patch of road and bled the speed off in a straight line (not turning in the dark as that bit of road is often strewn with grit and other debris) I was just about to run off the road into the bushes on the ouside of the bend apex.

As I said earlier f***me.......

« Reply #16260 on: 05 December, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek !!
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16261 on: 05 December, 2014, 09:56:54 pm »
A good illustration of the "two is one and one is none" principle, which I inconsistently remember to apply to bicycle lighting.

That said, I've done descents like that with an abundance of excellent lights, only to be met by a patch of dense fog halfway down.  It's hard to brake, steer, clench, swear and switch off a head torch at the same time.

« Reply #16262 on: 05 December, 2014, 09:57:50 pm »
Part of my body just emitted an involuntary squeak.
One I am sure your recent experience familiarises you with.....

« Reply #16263 on: 08 December, 2014, 07:56:01 am »

Today I actually remembered to grab a shot of these horses from the Fly6 before it went off of the end of the memory card.  I probably see them at least once a week, presumably when they go out early to miss the busier commuter filled roads.  Given the uniformity of look (albeit not an obvious uniform) I presume that they're members of the Household Cavalry from Hyde Park Barracks.  Typically there's anything from two to twenty riders, sometimes with horses pulling a carriage.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #16264 on: 08 December, 2014, 11:01:56 am »
That'll be these folk (From a year or so back)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16265 on: 08 December, 2014, 11:05:02 am »
Part of my body just emitted an involuntary squeak.
One I am sure your recent experience familiarises you with.....

What have you and fuzzy been up to?

« Reply #16266 on: 08 December, 2014, 02:12:53 pm »
Re-assembled the new bike at the weekend. Very happy to report that the new drivetrain is noiseless. I'd forgotten what a delight it is to ride such a svelte machine. And what a gorgeous day today. Beats sitting in traffic x 10.
Rust never sleeps

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #16267 on: 09 December, 2014, 09:18:46 am »
Nice cycle in after nearly three weeks off the bike through illness. What a nice trip in! It was cold but I managed to dress perfectly and the weather led to the cycle traffic being much lighter along CS7. Got in in less than 40 minutes which isn't bad considering my time off the bike!

fuzzy

« Reply #16268 on: 09 December, 2014, 09:24:08 am »
It was a tad fresh this morning so broke the skull cap out of hibernation.

Incident free ride in and finished with a glorious sunrise over the school.

Crappy phone pics to follow at some stage on The Other Thread

« Reply #16269 on: 09 December, 2014, 09:37:09 am »
pleasant ride to the stn, and from the other stn to the office.

Sat at traffic lights and a brompton rider pulled up alongside and told me that I had a funny looking design of bike!  ;D (the e-stay frame!) I refrained from replying "look who's talking!"

The only drawback with  using the 'double decker' bike racks at the London station is that they're first come first served, and I keep on forgetting where I've parked the bike each evening...  :facepalm:
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16270 on: 09 December, 2014, 10:41:20 am »
Re-assembled the new bike at the weekend. Very happy to report that the new drivetrain is noiseless. I'd forgotten what a delight it is to ride such a svelte machine. And what a gorgeous day today. Beats sitting in traffic x 10.

Wish mine was. Rode in using the clanky freewheel on the singlespeed. Even though the freewheel is noisy it still works ok so it'll do until the better replacement turns up. It was a bit breezy. Should make the return rather easier than the ride in.

What a difference an extra tooth made to the hill from Broken Arm Bridge* though! I've not got up that hill singlespeed since my crash had to walk it when I had my first go for a while last week. Today I didn't even get out of the saddle until the short steep section right at the top. :)

*It's actually Low Mill Bridge officially

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #16271 on: 09 December, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »
Anyone who uses Kings Road - it will be very bad/closed this evening. 

Awful collision at Gunter Grove area - I can't tell you whether it was a pedestrian/cyclist/motorcyclist under the truck but I passed as the air ambulance was coming in (about 2:30)

I truly hope that it isn't as serious as it looked and I keep my fingers crossed for positive news.

Edited to add that it is, very sadly, a fatality involving a female pedestrian.  My condolences go out to her family and friends.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/woman-pedestrian-dies-after-being-hit-by-lorry-in-chelsea-9913321.html
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Si_Co

« Reply #16272 on: 10 December, 2014, 06:34:45 pm »
A touch breezy. Chapeau to those further north heading east. west. Doh  :facepalm:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #16273 on: 10 December, 2014, 06:39:52 pm »
Well that was interesting. Ever got the feeling your bike has a mind of it's own?

Maybe take a heavier bike tomorrow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16274 on: 10 December, 2014, 08:07:26 pm »
Small wheels are more useful than heaviness in that situation, I think.