Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2496789 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #17700 on: 25 November, 2015, 09:00:08 pm »
@mcshroom

Is it possible that the clips were becoming loose due to age or wear and tear?

If so it may have reached a timely end, rather than an untimely one.

S/he's right.  You need a New! Shiny! GPS to go on the New! Shiny! custom built Audax bike that you also Need.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #17701 on: 25 November, 2015, 09:27:59 pm »
Mrs C has been asking me what I want for Christmas for months now. She's worse than Donkey in the Shrek movies. "Are we there yet?"

(click to show/hide)
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #17702 on: 27 November, 2015, 09:18:09 am »
Old Kent Road and the entire Elephant and Castle gyratory system this morning :  :o

Me on a bike circumnavigating even the roundabout by using Elephant Road and nipping over Old Kent Road :  8)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17703 on: 27 November, 2015, 09:21:32 am »
The wind is back, and due to swing North just in time for me to head home :(

Need to work out what's scraping a bit on my singlespeed. It's a once/pedal revolution thing and only when putting some effort in. I'm guessing I've bent the chainguard a bit and it's catching the bash-guard on the crankset at a certain point in the revolution.

Also hoping that I've got the settings right now and today's ride in is classed as a cycle ride and not a run by my phone's Strava App. Missing my Etrex
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #17704 on: 27 November, 2015, 09:22:20 am »
I'm sure it misses you too Marcus.
Milk please, no sugar.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17705 on: 27 November, 2015, 04:15:29 pm »
On the commute last night (albeit a train part of a mixed-mode journey).  I was sat in the inadequate bike storage space on a train from Victoria to Sutton.  Opposite me sat a young man with a mop of floppy hair looking a bit tired.  The retention strap being quite crappy, every time the train lurched (this was Southern; they do it all the time), the bike rolled back towards the chap's foot, so I tried to hold on to it and not disturb his rest, such as it was.

At Mitcham Junction, he got up, a bit unsteadily, and went to the toilet.  Great moaning sounds emanated as he summoned Huey.  This continued on through Hackbridge and Carshalton, till, approaching Sutton, I heard the driver's voice, and then a posh young lad saying 'I'm locked toilet'.

How glad I was to be getting off!  As I waited for my connecting train, I heard a conversation by walkie talkie to the effect that the doors had been forced open.  The passengers hoping to go on home to Cheam, Ewell & Epsom were to be sadly disappointed for a long while yet. :\
Getting there...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #17706 on: 27 November, 2015, 04:18:15 pm »
On the commute last night (albeit a train part of a mixed-mode journey).  I was sat in the inadequate bike storage space on a train from Victoria to Sutton.  Opposite me sat a young man with a mop of floppy hair looking a bit tired.  The retention strap being quite crappy, every time the train lurched (this was Southern; they do it all the time), the bike rolled back towards the chap's foot, so I tried to hold on to it and not disturb his rest, such as it was.

At Mitcham Junction, he got up, a bit unsteadily, and went to the toilet.  Great moaning sounds emanated as he summoned Huey.  This continued on through Hackbridge and Carshalton, till, approaching Sutton, I heard the driver's voice, and then a posh young lad saying 'I'm locked toilet'.

How glad I was to be getting off!  As I waited for my connecting train, I heard a conversation by walkie talkie to the effect that the doors had been forced open.  The passengers hoping to go on home to Cheam, Ewell & Epsom were to be sadly disappointed for a long while yet. :\

Let's hope he isn't Patient Zero of Teh End Times.
Milk please, no sugar.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17707 on: 27 November, 2015, 04:18:51 pm »
Ha!  Could be...
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17708 on: 27 November, 2015, 05:18:01 pm »
(Sings)

Oh dear!  What can the matter be?
Floppy-haired youth is locked in the lavatory...

(FX: Storms of recorded applause stolen from Benny Goodman concert)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #17709 on: 27 November, 2015, 07:53:26 pm »
Rain. So much rain.

Very glad workplace will let me wear pyjamas.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #17710 on: 27 November, 2015, 08:00:36 pm »
Not a bad journey tonight at all.

Also, spotted a yacfer passing Norwood Junction station at about 18:40.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17711 on: 27 November, 2015, 09:07:51 pm »
Rain, double headwind, cold - Yep, definitely heading for winter
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17712 on: 29 November, 2015, 07:45:24 pm »
Unless the din I can hear outside blows through then tomorrow will be fun. 😞

Hmm. Can we do Samsung smilies?  ☔⚡☁🚴

Also worried. I have about 50 commutes left.

« Reply #17713 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:16:06 am »
Very cold rain. On mornings like this I have to repeat to myself not to even think about it and just get going.  Almost always the right decision for me.

Pancho

« Reply #17714 on: 30 November, 2015, 12:15:54 pm »
Proved to be a benign ride in this morning - much to my surprise. Quite a lot of motor traffic as well - disturbing the peace of my rural leg and prompting me to play traffic jamming on the urban leg.

No rain.

I'll shoot off early today.

mhP

« Reply #17715 on: 30 November, 2015, 03:35:31 pm »
Very cold rain. On mornings like this I have to repeat to myself not to even think about it and just get going.  Almost always the right decision for me.

Are you in Edinburgh, sg? I felt a gentle smatter around 9am but jeans were enough to keep me dry through the centre of town. Hellish slog up Regent Road and overtaken by a lady with a basket on her handlebars.

Pancho

« Reply #17716 on: 30 November, 2015, 04:45:17 pm »
Not so benign coming home. A grind into the wind for half the ride, followed by a brief salty soak (even though I'd missed high tide), and then a leg with the wind (and rain) behind me. All in all, a pretty good day's storm riding!

« Reply #17717 on: 30 November, 2015, 10:00:24 pm »

Are you in Edinburgh, sg? I felt a gentle smatter around 9am but jeans were enough to keep me dry through the centre of town. Hellish slog up Regent Road and overtaken by a lady with a basket on her handlebars.

Yep, I ride from ingliston park&ride to city center, Im usually changed and at my desk for 8.15. WFH tomorrow though. Parents evening (which is from 4pm these days)

fuzzy

« Reply #17718 on: 01 December, 2015, 01:37:37 pm »
Not so benign coming home. A grind into the wind for half the ride, followed by a brief salty soak (even though I'd missed high tide), and then a leg with the wind (and rain) behind me. All in all, a pretty good day's storm riding!

Pancho Storm Rider. There's a film character name to conjure with :thumbsup:

« Reply #17719 on: 01 December, 2015, 01:54:15 pm »
First commute after 4weeks off. 20mph headwind all the way in, but I missed the rain. Incident free aswell.

I will be looking forward to a wind assisted ride home!

« Reply #17720 on: 01 December, 2015, 01:56:51 pm »
I will be looking forward to a wind assisted ride home!
Nah. It'll have swung round and reversed direction by the time you leave for home.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #17721 on: 01 December, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »
Ain't that the truth! Headwind this morning and would you believe it! The flag is flying Easterly meaning my westerly commute home is headwind-tastic!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #17722 on: 01 December, 2015, 03:44:33 pm »
[Gloat] A light head wind in this morning, and it looks like a stiff tail wind home again [/gloat]
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Pancho

« Reply #17723 on: 01 December, 2015, 05:08:24 pm »
Not too much wind. No rain. Bit of spray on the coastal leg.

Bit boring really!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17724 on: 01 December, 2015, 05:34:04 pm »
Caught the train today.  No idea why.  It's not particularly wet and windy in Brum.  Well, only like normal winter depression stuff.
Now, I know that the best, nay, ONLY way to find your mojo is to get on your bike and hunt it down, but......
Maybe tomorrow.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.