Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2496987 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #17850 on: 08 January, 2016, 06:57:48 pm »
According to Mr Google, this is what Major Bonk looks like.

I made his acquaintance  tonight, but I couldn't quite make out his features.

FWIW, from commutes passim I knew to have some food-y thing on me, but given the weather, ICNBA to stop.

Aaaaand rest.

spindrift

« Reply #17851 on: 08 January, 2016, 08:36:50 pm »
some scrotey little kid feinted me on the shared use path, it was absurd, he saw me and moved apart from his two mates and started stroking his chin then turned his back, it was blindingly obvious what he was going to do and sure enough when I drew level he spun around and lunged. It was appalling acting and I cut him dead.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #17852 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:55:37 am »
Nice run in- left it until late to make the decision with regards the weather and it stopped raining! Beats PT every time!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17853 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:37:22 pm »
Exhibit A: A youthful looking cyclist on a splendid fixed gear bicycle.
Exhibit B: A large and deep puddle spanning the width of the road and extending for around 50m of its length.
Exhibit C: A pair of soggy and cold feet. There may be some causal relationship involving Exhibits A and B.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #17854 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:47:44 pm »
Exhibit A: A youthful looking cyclist on a splendid fixed gear bicycle.
Exhibit B: A large and deep puddle spanning the width of the road and extending for around 50m of its length.
Exhibit C: A pair of soggy and cold feet. There may be some causal relationship involving Exhibits A and B.

Anyone we know?  :P

« Reply #17855 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:49:49 pm »
Me.(nothing to do with the ^ above post)
First time in Lycra for nearly three weeks.

Now for the good news.
Unlike post-xmas last year, the trousers I wear to work continue to fit me.

« Reply #17856 on: 11 January, 2016, 07:59:31 pm »
Unlike post-xmas last year, the trousers I wear to work continue to fit me.
These would be the 40" waist pair you bought especially last year then!  ;)

« Reply #17857 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:33:50 pm »
There was a little flooding on the Tooting Bec Common cycle path, yesterday afternoon.  Thankfully it had gone by this morning. ...

... and again, this morning.

I'm just about to depart on my journey home, and I hope it will have drained away during the day.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17858 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:54:11 pm »
Getting cold out there. I did my 20 mile long homeward* route this evening. Got rained  from climbing the big hill about 6 miles from the end all the way home, and I'm still trying to warm my thighs up in front of the fire nearly two hours later. Enjoyed the ride, but need to layer up better!

*In that it eventually goes home after heading in the wrong direction for quite a long way.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #17859 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:33:13 pm »
Rode into work today and the last song on my Aftershokz's was David Bowie loving the alien. Went inside and heard the very sad news.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #17860 on: 11 January, 2016, 10:24:13 pm »
Cold enough on the school run today that I actually put on socks for the karate run this evening!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17861 on: 11 January, 2016, 10:54:48 pm »
Cold enough on the school run today that I actually put on socks for the karate run this evening!

Uh-oh.  It'll be studded tyres weather by the end of the week.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17862 on: 12 January, 2016, 08:17:27 am »
No danger of snow here in the deep south!

But nice ride in this morning. No rain!

I've not been at work Fri and Mon and really notice the benefit of an early ride this morning. I feel awake, fresh and clear-lunged.

« Reply #17863 on: 12 January, 2016, 08:31:13 am »
Rose out of the saddle to go over the canal bridge at Stretford and <pop>......the saga of the broken spoke continues.

menthel

« Reply #17864 on: 12 January, 2016, 12:49:43 pm »
Visitation yesterday near home so walked back. Nice enough in this morning although I did get a little warm after deploying a slightly misjudged merino underlayer from torm!

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17865 on: 12 January, 2016, 12:51:03 pm »
Came home early. Lovely clear roads. And, wow, daylight! That really makes a difference. I could see the huge extent and depth of the puddles I rode through in darkness and ignorance this morning.

But, warning to anyone heading West this evening: it's bloody windy. Good news for those heading East, of course.

« Reply #17866 on: 12 January, 2016, 12:58:16 pm »
On the way in, an horrible wind. But nice and dry.Lets up the tyre stays up this week  :facepalm:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17867 on: 12 January, 2016, 03:33:37 pm »
Almost got taken out by a suicidal moggy when decending at 50+ km/h, but otherwise a good ride in.  :)

Looks like I'm going to get wet in an hour or two though and the wind is biting cold. Maybe not a day for another long ride home :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #17868 on: 12 January, 2016, 05:16:27 pm »
I finally spotted the Mystery Brommie Rider tonight, and he was taking a peculiar route to the station (I assume he comes from the station as there's a Cycle Heaven sticker on his bike and why else would you ride a Brommie in Darlo?).

I was on the cyclepath, and studded tyres. He was on the road.

I overhauled him near the college, so I drew the following two conclusions:

1. The path is quicker than the road
B. Studded tyres are still quicker than Brommies.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17869 on: 12 January, 2016, 05:53:52 pm »
You can get Brommie-sized studded tyres these days.  Ideal if you want a really good workout, have to get multi-modal in winter, or are investigating the effects of salt exposure on Brompton rear triangles.

menthel

« Reply #17870 on: 12 January, 2016, 06:01:55 pm »
Was bloody windy on the way home!

« Reply #17871 on: 12 January, 2016, 08:30:16 pm »
You can get Brommie-sized studded tyres these days.  Ideal if you want a really good workout, have to get multi-modal in winter, or are investigating the effects of salt exposure on Brompton rear triangles.

£60 for a pair though! :o
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17872 on: 12 January, 2016, 08:39:39 pm »

£60 for a pair though! :o

Come back in August?

« Reply #17873 on: 13 January, 2016, 12:25:48 pm »
Nice ride out to my first Morris dancing practice last night, up through Cranham and along the other side of the valley. However I counted 14 cars with only one working headlight in the 20km I traveled, most of them on the unlit country lanes.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #17874 on: 13 January, 2016, 12:55:00 pm »
However I counted 14 cars with only one working headlight in the 20km I traveled, most of them on the unlit country lanes.

D.

Sadly, this appears to be increasingly 'normal'. Play the game of "count the cars I encounter without coming across one with busted lighting" and my personal experience is you are unlikely to reach 100 before starting again at 1.