Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2496704 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #18700 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:17:09 am »
Mild, Murky and Muggy today. Yuck
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #18701 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:22:15 am »
Even though there was only a small amount of rain on my commute, the northern end of Tooting Bec Common, where it always floods was spectacularly flooded.  There was probably over 500 feet of path where the water was over 6 inches, and around 100 foot or so, where it was a at least a couple of feet deep.

I had to abandon the "one foot out of pedal, and other foot wobbling at the top of stroke" approach, that would keep my feet dry, because the drag from the water was just too much.  The value of waterproof shoes is somewhat less, when the tops of the shoes are below the water level !

After that, there was some sort of accident on Queenstown Road, under one of the railway bridges, that I still can't work out.  They must have moved vehicles and/or bicycles/pedestrians before I got there, but the traffic was backed up to the A3, with the normal number of people making things worse by poor road positioning, or deciding to do U-turns and three-point (or five or seven ...) turns.

It took me about 20 minutes longer than usual to get into work, which is almost as bad as when I'm cycling through fresh snow and ice. :o
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #18702 on: 23 June, 2016, 09:24:23 am »
Manchester seemed to be utterly deserted this morning  ???

fuzzy

« Reply #18703 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:54:44 am »
Manchester seemed to be utterly deserted this morning  ???

Perhaps they have all taken the advice of Boris, Gove and Farrage too literaly?

« Reply #18704 on: 23 June, 2016, 01:07:57 pm »
Even though there was only a small amount of rain on my commute, the northern end of Tooting Bec Common, where it always floods was spectacularly flooded. ...

Video:

« Reply #18705 on: 23 June, 2016, 01:41:43 pm »
... After that, there was some sort of accident on Queenstown Road, under one of the railway bridges, that I still can't work out. ...

This car was crunched up on Queenstown Road early this morning, but was gone by the time I got there

... and Latchmere Road was fairly flooded, under the bridge at 5am.

It looks like Queenstown Road did suffer from some flooding, but there were a couple of cars stopped under the bridge, which weren't clearly incapacitated, but the police were directing vehicles around them.

« Reply #18706 on: 23 June, 2016, 01:49:48 pm »
... It looks like Queenstown Road did suffer from some flooding, but there were a couple of cars stopped under the bridge, which weren't clearly incapacitated, but the police were directing vehicles around them. ...

It appears that both those cars were there much earlier, and the water level was higher, so presumably they "died" in the flooding, and it had lowered by the time I came past.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #18707 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:01:29 pm »
Outpaced by a _baby_ rabbit this morning and the rabbit took off from a standing start.  Dear God, I must be getting old. :)

Stopped for a minute or so to watch a B52 taking off.

Reek of goats at Home farm, Netherton.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18708 on: 23 June, 2016, 08:43:56 pm »
If the rabbit outpaced the B52 you're alright.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #18709 on: 23 June, 2016, 11:18:24 pm »
Probably the sunniest commute so far for me. It was also quite sticky so I took it easy (Cyclist excuse #41).
Coming home was a different matter; it was quite chilly although could have been easily remidied if I'd stopped to put on more clothing. I didn't of course.
I forgot to take in any underwear so I had to use my emergency pants. I need to remember to take in two pairs tomorrow.

« Reply #18710 on: 24 June, 2016, 08:16:35 am »
Running late today due to trying to figure out the repercussions of last nights national stupidity (how effin much :o ) so was grateful for the tailwind.

Even better when I heard one of Trafford council's mini street-sweepers approaching from behind on Church Road, a big effort to get on the back of it, much to the chagrin of Warrington Road Club guy who couldn't quite make it. My word those things can shift, it's not very often I can do 30mph up a 2% slope  ;D

Is this guaranteed every day in our brave new world?

« Reply #18711 on: 24 June, 2016, 10:02:49 am »
I think roadsweeping will become a thing of the past, while hills will get steeper.  2%? Why you couldn't even leave Europe with that.....could you?

« Reply #18712 on: 25 June, 2016, 01:47:04 am »
Soaked on the way in. Thoughts such as "I may need the waterproof later" should really be "I'll put the waterproof on now otherwise it'll be too late"  :facepalm:. Some fast times on Strava and, it has to be admitted, bordering on reckless filtering. That's what riding angry does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3-6AmdoeY *

To add insult to injury, my delivery route took me to Brexit central:- East Manchester.

I got soaked on the way home as well. It didn't seem to matter as much.

*From Groundhog Day. That's a film I can watch over and over again.

« Reply #18713 on: 26 June, 2016, 11:40:45 pm »
My last commute for a week, I'm on holiday 'til next Sunday.
I took it easy on the way in to work, a severe case of ICn'tBA although I did enjoy it,
Coming home was rather Mancunian and I was glad of the improved mud-guards and wearing a waterproof always gives me permission to cruise.
I hope the weather improves otherwise we're not going to be doing much riding next week.

« Reply #18714 on: 27 June, 2016, 08:14:24 am »
Nice tailwind this morning and something to chase up Kings Road meant it should have been a good commute, unfortunately it was marred by turning the corner in Flixton to find someone had levered up a manhole cover and wedged a no entry sign in with a ‘to polish scum’ placard underneath, the police were just getting out of their motor to deal with it.  >:(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18715 on: 27 June, 2016, 08:20:54 am »
Maybe someone had polished the manhole cover?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #18716 on: 27 June, 2016, 10:02:12 am »
Painless ride in today, the saddle sore I inflicted on myself last weekend has finally deflated and stopped giving me gyp

« Reply #18717 on: 27 June, 2016, 07:48:48 pm »
I had to take the notes from last week's course into work this morning. A week's worth of 'death by PowerPoint' in one pannier doesn't half alter the handling.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #18718 on: 28 June, 2016, 08:13:33 am »
Not a lot to report this morning, all very quiet, I suspect a lot are nursing sore heads.

« Reply #18719 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:31:42 pm »
Knackered, and a bit of a cold. But it was sunny and light tailwind.  Mudguards are off in prep for my holidays and amazingly, Euros were bought before that fukkin vote.

« Reply #18720 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:00:06 pm »
And this evening I pulled up behind someone with a parrot in a cage cum rucksack thing on their back

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7365/27966386545_3816d9bde4_k.jpg

« Reply #18721 on: 29 June, 2016, 08:14:24 am »
Totally under dressed for the Mancunian weather last night meant I really had to get a shift on to keep warm, I do love it when I'm the quickest thing on the road to Flixton, though being overtaken by a cyclist does seem to cause some folk to want to keep their foot on the loud pedal until they realise they are about to drive into the car in front, you can feel the frustration when you just keep making progress up the outside  ;D

Steady cruise in this morning until the last half mile when a bit of SCR ensued.

« Reply #18722 on: 30 June, 2016, 08:31:35 am »
Absolutely drowned last night, and the instant I got home someone switched the tap off and the sun came out  ::-)

Very quiet again this morning, I'm a bit puzzled why its so dead at the moment.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18723 on: 30 June, 2016, 09:01:47 am »
Very quiet again this morning, I'm a bit puzzled why its so dead at the moment.

The "Remain" voters have emigrated.  It's lovely here in Burkina Faso.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #18724 on: 01 July, 2016, 08:29:42 am »
Hung around at home for a bit this morning to avoid setting off in a deluge, it paid off as I got a break in the weather.

I was aware that they have coned off the bus and cycle lane outside the old Hyde's brewery so was not surprised that after I took my place in the traffic flow and was holding a steady 28mph less than two bike lengths away from the van in front the woman behind went for the overtake, so I left her hanging out there into the oncoming traffic until I judged that the look on the passengers face had reached abject terror then hit the brakes to make a gap for her, just to whizz straight back past less than 2 seconds later as she reached the back of the jam.  ::-)

Its all good fun.