Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2496704 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #2950 on: 14 October, 2010, 02:39:22 pm »
I set off 30 minutes later today, not planned, but Queenstown Road was empty today, why? In fact most of my commute had really light traffic.

It just seemed like normal for me today, not particularly busy or empty, but I was running a bit later today.

The theme for today's commute seemed to be broken down buses.  I saw three buses stopped well away from where they would normally stop, with their hazards on.  One had the engine cover up, so was obviously FUBARed in some fashion, but I assume the other two were also waiting for help, since they weren't near a bus stop, and had no passengers on board.  I can't remember the last time I saw a broken down bus, so three in one day is odd.  It must be the old saw about waiting for a bus, and then three come together... ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

simonp

« Reply #2951 on: 14 October, 2010, 02:41:39 pm »
I was slow.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2952 on: 14 October, 2010, 03:47:41 pm »
I was slower.

Getting there...

« Reply #2953 on: 14 October, 2010, 03:50:53 pm »
I was average. I'll be slow as anything tonight after 90 minutes of 5-a-side.

Tube tomorrow as I has exam.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #2954 on: 14 October, 2010, 04:13:32 pm »
22.94kph rolling average; for the whole month my rolling average is 25.76 which includes one 120-ish km ride at 27.65kph rolling average.

I've yet to do a non-fixed ride this month.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2955 on: 14 October, 2010, 08:49:57 pm »
I was tired and heading towards the car keys at 6:30 am when I actually decided to cycle in. So I was late and rushed because I couldn't find my bike lock key. Twelve miles took me 70 minutes 'cos I was slow and cold and useless.

But, somehow, due to early-evening--cycling-induced-happiness, I arrived back home warm, speedily and bouncing with energy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2956 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:08:53 am »
Took the tourer to work.  Managed to keep my average above 20kph, but I felt shit at the end of it.  When it rained, it was starting to feel like an epic ride :(

I got to work, parked my bike, and lay down on the floor for a bit. :-\
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2957 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:11:56 am »
It felt really slow today on the bike  :( No matter, I finish work at 2p.m. yipppeeeee!

« Reply #2958 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:22:43 am »
Coming up to the cyclepath out of copmanthorpe, I can see a woman walking a medium sized dog on the path. "blast", thinks I, "The path's narrow there, I hope she pulls the dog aside when I shout excuse me".

50yards short of woman and dog, dog turns and looks back at me. 20 yards away, it looks again. Then the dog steps off the cyclepath, still looking at me, pulling the owner with it. Sits down until I'm past, then gets up and walks back onto path.

No, it wasn't a seeing-eye dog. But could well have been. Made my day, that did.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2959 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:38:12 am »
Coming up to the cyclepath out of copmanthorpe, I can see a woman walking a medium sized dog on the path. "blast", thinks I, "The path's narrow there, I hope she pulls the dog aside when I shout excuse me".

50yards short of woman and dog, dog turns and looks back at me. 20 yards away, it looks again. Then the dog steps off the cyclepath, still looking at me, pulling the owner with it. Sits down until I'm past, then gets up and walks back onto path.

No, it wasn't a seeing-eye dog. But could well have been. Made my day, that did.

POTD - really made me smile.   :) :thumbsup:
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2960 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:50:34 am »
Then the dog steps off the cyclepath, still looking at me, pulling the owner with it. Sits down until I'm past, then gets up and walks back onto path.
Dogs for the hard of thinking. What a good idea.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2961 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:37:34 am »
Why does everybody give their stats in kph?  I happily do metric for distances I can measure with my arms and hands but I think of rides and speeds in miles, when in this country at least.

Nice day for it.  14 mph average and I topped 30 a couple of times - not something I often have a chance to do on my stoppy-starty route.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #2962 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:52:31 am »
Why does everybody give their stats in kph?  I happily do metric for distances I can measure with my arms and hands but I think of rides and speeds in miles, when in this country at least.

Thou' up to 40 of them (= 1mm).
mm up to about 10 of them.
Inches from 1/2 to 12.
Feet, yards and miles thereafter.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2963 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:54:58 am »

Km are used for audax - I believe that's why.

I like using metric on my bike computer, because I notice sooner if my speed is dropping off.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #2964 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:56:37 am »

Km are used for audax - I believe that's why.

I like using metric on my bike computer, because I notice sooner if my speed is dropping off.

Yep - lots of audaxers on here an you just get used to thinking in km. In fact its a right pain to have to think in miles and mph.
Owner of a languishing Langster

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2965 on: 15 October, 2010, 11:57:52 am »
Why does everybody give their stats in kph?  I happily do metric for distances I can measure with my arms and hands but I think of rides and speeds in miles, when in this country at least.

Because it makes them seem faster :) and it's decreed by THE RULES rule 24

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2966 on: 15 October, 2010, 12:10:00 pm »
Because we are living after the Age of Enlightenment?
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2967 on: 15 October, 2010, 12:13:59 pm »

Nice day for it.  14 mph average and I topped 30 a couple of times - not something I often have a chance to do on my stoppy-starty route.

My bike computers are all measuring in km

If you are reading anything from me mentioning a distance in km or a speed in kph, simply convert to miles by dividing by two and then adding an eighth

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #2968 on: 15 October, 2010, 12:57:59 pm »

Mmmh
Reasons: being forrin, Audax, being used to it!

That said, I had a superb commute home yesterday over the peaks. Setting sun through broken clouds and into darkness. Nice and cool. Againsterly not too hard....
Averaged 40300 furlongs per fortnight for the 36 miles....  :demon:  ;)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2969 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:15:29 pm »
Because we are living after the Age of Enlightenment?

Aye, but we're living in very unenlightened Britain, where the distances and speed limits don't match the Napoleonic standards.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2970 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:23:32 pm »
Shame to be so far behind the French, isn't it? ;D

I use metric cause I'm too lazy to convert chains to thou.
Getting there...

gordon taylor

« Reply #2971 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:26:10 pm »
I'm glad to see a lot of marker paint round the potholes on Shepherds Bush Street. Hopefully it'll be less of an obstacle course soon.

« Reply #2972 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:35:38 pm »
I'm with itsbruce on the km debate.  I live in an imperial country where signposts indicate miles.  I still drink pints. etc

Even riding in continental Europe I do not change my computer, simply because I'm used to thinking in miles.  I mentally convert distances to miles, but I only spend about 4 or 5 weeks a year on the continent so it's no imposition.

I do find it an imposition, even alienating when people post about a 65km ride at 24.125kmph, what's wrong with 41 miles at 15 mph?   Or even post both?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2973 on: 15 October, 2010, 01:37:31 pm »
I've measured this country, albeit on a map, but it seemed to be metric to me ;)

btw, I don't drink pints.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2974 on: 15 October, 2010, 02:11:44 pm »
I'm with itsbruce on the km debate.  I live in an imperial country where signposts indicate miles.  I still drink pints. etc

Even riding in continental Europe I do not change my computer, simply because I'm used to thinking in miles.  I mentally convert distances to miles, but I only spend about 4 or 5 weeks a year on the continent so it's no imposition.

I do find it an imposition, even alienating when people post about a 65km ride at 24.125kmph, what's wrong with 41 miles at 15 mph?   Or even post both?

Britain, Britain, BRITAIN!  Standing alongside the USA — along with Burma and Liberia — against the rest of the metric world.   :thumbsup:

Alternatively, Britain can just get over its imperial/anti-European bias, stop mixing metric and imperial systems, and join the rest of the civilised world.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: