Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2496884 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #5225 on: 06 April, 2011, 01:12:38 pm »
Way-Hey!

First time this year for shorts in the morning!

« Reply #5226 on: 06 April, 2011, 01:22:40 pm »
I guess Nutty is trying to find ways to deal with his heatstroke...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #5227 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:07:50 pm »
loveley ride in shorts  :thumbsup:   need to get a new rear wheel for my road bike i think so i can throw in a few miles in after work aswell  :thumbsup: 
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #5228 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:20:24 pm »
Wish I'd been on the bike. Fatality at Surbiton pretty much shut down South West Trains this evening at rush hour. Had to bail to the tube to get to the nursery in time to pick up baby GB.

No more train though as the bike shop should be getting the mounting bar for the child seat tomorrow which means I can deliver/collect baby GB by bike.

« Reply #5229 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:46:18 pm »
Paused part way up Elm Grove to lend an allen key to a chap with alarmingly loose handlebars, who was hill training in preparation for lejog. A nice sunny ride home.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5230 on: 06 April, 2011, 08:55:14 pm »
Much faster ride home.  Oh - and the first outing for my hairy legs this year :thumbsup:
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5231 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:07:09 pm »
Much faster ride home.  Oh - and the first outing for my hairy legs this year :thumbsup:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5232 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:08:23 pm »
I thought that too, and what a fab pic!
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5233 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:15:11 pm »
This is always a weird time of year.
Morning: Altura jacket, under gloves under my mitts (looks 'orrible but works for me)
Evening: Short sleeved top and pannier stuffed full of clothing.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #5234 on: 06 April, 2011, 09:50:16 pm »
Morning: Altura jacket, under gloves under my mitts (looks 'orrible but works for me)
^^ This ^^.

I have often wondered what time I should leave home so that I can do an 8 hour day at work, AND the air temperature is the same on the way in as on the way home again. (i.e. it doesn't matter what that temperature IS, but there must be a horizontal line that's 8 hours long on the temperature/time graph.)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #5235 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:18:52 pm »
^^ This ^^.

I have often wondered what time I should leave home so that I can do an 8 hour day at work, AND the air temperature is the same on the way in as on the way home again. (i.e. it doesn't matter what that temperature IS, but there must be a horizontal line that's 8 hours long on the temperature/time graph.)

It'll change each and every day, and it would be tricky to predict in advance, but you can retrospectively work it out if you fine a graph of a day's temperature with enough granularity.

The personal weather station thread might give you some useful links...

Taking Wow and Dez's info: Last 24 Hours Weather: Southend-on-Sea,Essex it looks like it's sometime between 10.30am and 6.30pm for today.

« Reply #5236 on: 06 April, 2011, 10:24:01 pm »
I had this on Sunday's commute:

Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #5237 on: 06 April, 2011, 11:28:37 pm »
I'll Roadsafe her in the morning.  I wonder how indignant she'll be?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #5238 on: 07 April, 2011, 05:10:48 am »
I'll Roadsafe her in the morning.  I wonder how indignant she'll be?
Hi Wendy. Is it just me or are car drivers just becoming more impatient and aggressive with there driving ?

Anyway good work ! enjoyed the film clips in a cringing way.

Keep it up !

Thanks

Alouicious

« Reply #5239 on: 07 April, 2011, 07:34:39 am »
Ah well, I've delayed this from yesterday.

I got my bike out of the car at 04:55, prep'ing for my commute. I looked up at the starry sky to see if Orion was visible.

I saw a bright light ( brighter than any of the stars ) travelling northward at quite a rate of knots. There were no navigation lights and the intensity of the light didn't fade as the thing passed.
It travelled half the horizon ( directly overhead to horizon ) in about 15 seconds. Visible all the way.

It was totally silent. The speed was similar to a low flying helicopter, but they make a row and their lights flash. Satellites travel West to East. This thing was travelling South to North.

There were no discernable con-trails when sunlight illuminated the sky half an hour later.

If it was high altitude, it must have been travelling at least ten times the speed of a commercial jet aircraft.
If it was low altitude, I couldn't hear any engines or rotor pulsation. Nor constant or flashing navigation lights.

???

« Reply #5240 on: 07 April, 2011, 07:45:15 am »

I got my bike out of the car at 04:55, prep'ing for my commute. I looked up at the starry sky to see if Orion was visible.

I saw a bright light ( brighter than any of the stars ) travelling northward at quite a rate of knots. There were no navigation lights and the intensity of the light didn't fade as the thing passed.
It travelled half the horizon ( directly overhead to horizon ) in about 15 seconds. Visible all the way.

It was totally silent. The speed was similar to a low flying helicopter, but they make a row and their lights flash. Satellites travel West to East. This thing was travelling South to North.

There were no discernable con-trails when sunlight illuminated the sky half an hour later.

If it was high altitude, it must have been travelling at least ten times the speed of a commercial jet aircraft.
If it was low altitude, I couldn't hear any engines or rotor pulsation. Nor constant or flashing navigation lights.

???

ISS.
Look here.

Alouicious

« Reply #5241 on: 07 April, 2011, 07:46:29 am »
I'll Roadsafe her in the morning.  I wonder how indignant she'll be?

You could have made the local BBC news web page.

"Woman cyclist punches male car passenger".

The car's female driver stopped intentionally to present to you the opportunity.

Alouicious

« Reply #5242 on: 07 April, 2011, 07:47:26 am »

???

ISS.

Inter Stellar Spacecraft ????

« Reply #5243 on: 07 April, 2011, 07:50:19 am »

???

ISS.

Inter Stellar Spacecraft ????
International Space Station.
Look here.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5244 on: 07 April, 2011, 08:10:07 am »
I'll Roadsafe her in the morning.  I wonder how indignant she'll be?

You could have made the local BBC news web page.

"Woman cyclist punches male car passenger".

The car's female driver stopped intentionally to present to you the opportunity.

Err, a more accurate headline would have been:

"Burly Zimbabwean bloke who uses woman's name on a popular cycling forum punches male car passenger"

Except I don't think Mike (for it is he) would punch someone.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5245 on: 07 April, 2011, 08:19:18 am »
Ahhhhh, the skylarks singing, the sun poking over the horizon, pinky clouds, the first cowslip of the year, floppity bunnies, all the fluffy lambs and the roe deer barrelling out of the hedgerow at full tilt and missing me by bloody inches....
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #5246 on: 07 April, 2011, 08:36:25 am »
Ahhhhh, the skylarks singing, the sun poking over the horizon, pinky clouds, the first cowslip of the year, floppity bunnies, all the fluffy lambs and the roe deer barrelling out of the hedgerow at full tilt and missing me by bloody inches....

surely not? Been out for a couple of weeks at least, here.

« Reply #5247 on: 07 April, 2011, 08:38:41 am »
Quote from: TheLurker link=topic=26458.msg908008#msg908008
 and the roe deer barrelling out of the hedgerow at full tilt and missing me by bloody inches....
[/quote

Now describe that from the deer's point of view.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #5248 on: 07 April, 2011, 09:11:28 am »
Best draft ever this morning. Picked up a 6 wheel dumper truck in the Kingston one way and he took me all the way to Sunbury Cross.

He was a smooth and considerate driver and there was not a single hairy moment.

Bliss !
Rust never sleeps

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5249 on: 07 April, 2011, 09:18:32 am »
Grand day for a ride! :thumbsup: :D

But I'm inside at my desk running the year end :(

Lovely commute, mind, if you ignore the two drivers who tried to hit me within ten minutes and the gridlock at Clapham Common and the idiot motorcyclists and the crazy Spanish bus driver at Newington. ;D

I really enjoyed it.  Lots of cyclists out.  People enjoying walking in the sunshine.  Still enough people who wanted to hide in a metal box to jam up the streets, but a lot of people were really enjoying the morning.  Wonderful.
Getting there...