Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2496902 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #5425 on: 26 April, 2011, 05:07:13 pm »
This morning: plink. plinkety plinkety plinkety plinkety plinkety plinkety plinkety plinkety etc ...

Broken a spoke in the back wheel again. I'm now running 29er MTB disc rims, 3 cross, good build. Just WTF am I doing to back wheels FFS?  >:(
I like maps me

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5426 on: 26 April, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »
It is either poor spokes or a poor builder. Which is most likely?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5427 on: 26 April, 2011, 09:40:01 pm »
Onna brand spanking noo Pompetamine, too.

Alfine versa with discs? 8 or 11 gears?

« Reply #5428 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:30:19 pm »

The 11 is going to be another 2 months, so I went with the 8. I'll post some pics when I get a moment.

simonp

« Reply #5429 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:36:58 pm »
Went a longish way home and ripped the arse out of it.  Saw a group of riders stopped at the roadside and shouted hello, and the reply came back “Hello Simon!” so I stopped to see who it was; it was my old colleague Donald out with his mates for a ride.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5430 on: 27 April, 2011, 07:40:42 am »
Had a driver behind me on the phone, who put it down immediately I pointed to the rear camera, after making the phone to ear sign.  At the traffic lights he asked "So what are the cameras for then?"  and you should have seen his face when I told him they were to film drivers on the phone.  :D :D

He asked if he was going to get a ticket from the police, and I said, no, probably just a letter.  We chatted for a couple more traffic lights, and I told him he was so nice that I just couldn't report him.  His driving had been decent too, and no attitude at all, and he totally took that driving on the phone was potentially like drink driving.  Cheered up my whole commute, that did.

Otherwise all was lovely, I'm so lucky to be able to ride to work like this.  A car let me change lanes in front of them to go around a stopped bus, and got a big smile and thumbs up from them for my salute of thanks, only afterwards seeing that it was a police car (it was dark).
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #5431 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:20:38 am »

The 11 is going to be another 2 months, so I went with the 8. I'll post some pics when I get a moment.

I'm beginning to think the 11 is a myth just to make me wait for n+1...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5432 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:08:42 am »
Pleasant ride this morning.  Hardly felt like a headwind at all again.  Rode the first half with Butterfly, then rode hard for the rest.  Lovely weather. 

Sadly, the expected light traffic this week hasn't materialised, and there were lots of queues this morning, but it was much much better to be on a bike than in a box.
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5433 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:17:16 am »
Another flat tyre in the morning on the Orbea.  I think my patching technique needs work

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #5434 on: 27 April, 2011, 10:21:21 am »
I tried a different route into work from the GF's house.

I won't be taking that one again. Sinking up to the rims in loose gravel isn't my idea of fun, not on narrow road tyres anyway.

« Reply #5435 on: 27 April, 2011, 07:04:03 pm »
* *** *** black hatchback just gave me a slow left hook followed by instant abuse. Just seen them again, so parked up for breather. Just a grazed shin. Bike OK.

Edit - removed licence number now I'm home and have entered it into operation crackdown web site.

« Reply #5436 on: 27 April, 2011, 08:00:50 pm »
Also on the commute today, someone on a "butchers" bike, complete with bungees, but only luggage was an orange carrier bag carried in his hand.  ???

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5437 on: 27 April, 2011, 08:08:16 pm »
Very fast commute (tailwind assisted).  Punctuated by a few idiotic motorised manoeuvres. ::-)  Best of all was a close left hook by a Royal Mail van, which had a scraping dent all the way along the left side.  Wonder if they've done that before?
Getting there...

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #5438 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:58:22 pm »
Back on the commute after 2 weeks sunning ourselves in the Cornish surfing Mecca...

Lovely sunny day. 18kph NE wind so a fair bit of headwind home. 15C so wearing shorts only was OK.
Cracking ride - 57km & 900m climbing in 2h08 - best for the year so far.

Its a great route! This is a view of part of the commute - Roper hill. 10-14%. Lodge Moor in the foreground, Sheffield in the background. Work is 25km further on to the right.....

The steel dream bicycle in the foreground is an Orbit Photon. (Open image in a new window for better resolution)

« Reply #5439 on: 28 April, 2011, 06:24:35 am »
Only 3.5 C this morning  :o
Ring road widening between the M32 and the UWE continues leaving various traffic furnture encroaching onto the already busy/narrow cyclepath ! How about widening cyclepath at same time ?
Ok,thats my rant over for the day ! Apart from that a nice ride to work, listening to Turn Brakes The Optimist  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5440 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:12:17 am »
I commuted in this morning with a camping load.  Took me one hour moving compared to the (wind-assisted) 48 mins home last night on the fixed.  But it was fun.  Traffic wasn't as bad as it had been Tues/Wed.
Getting there...

« Reply #5441 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:27:11 am »

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5442 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:48:04 am »
Cold but pleasant

« Reply #5443 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:49:17 am »
Only 3.5 C this morning  :o

Yes, 3 degrees here and it caught me out because I’d not checked the forecast the night before.  I turned round after half a mile (before a long downhill) and returned home to swap the sandals for shoes (I can cope with sandals from about 8 degrees but not 3) and to add an extra layer.

« Reply #5444 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:50:48 am »
Quiet morning, and I'm a fully paid up member of Team Slow at the moment (16 miles, 1.5hours)

But. Girlies. And it is girlies I'm talking about, doing the cycling equivalent of that girlie running thing - you know legs everywhere and hands windmilling. PLEASE look round before you wibble around things, or into the middle of the road to turn right. Thankfully, most drivers are nice, but on three occasions that I saw this morning, your continued existence depended on drivers being nice. Oh, and wafting a hand AS you are manoeuvring doesn't really do much, neither does a magic pudding basin on your head.

I'm very happy you are cycling, please put a little effort into trying to continue to do so.

As people will no doubt point out there are a whole host of riders who fail to look, but there is something about the girly way of doing it that both makes me cringe and smile at the same time. Maybe a figment of my imagination?

simonp

« Reply #5445 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:05:21 am »
Windy, isn't it?  But still > 15mph rolling average in a headwind on my Pompino.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5446 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:18:28 am »
I was sworn at by a cyclist this morning while crossing (on foot) a one way street, which he was riding up the wrong way. I tend to take the view that I shouldn't need to look both ways  >:(   Hope the guys in the clip carry organ donor cards.

Sometimes it's the cyclists:

YouTube
        - Bl00dy Cyclists - 4 x wrong way and 2 x close passes

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #5447 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:22:18 am »
...and the rear view:

YouTube
        - Bl00dy Cyclists - rear view

I wonder if they were having a race?

« Reply #5448 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:25:14 am »
I was sworn at by a cyclist this morning while crossing (on foot) a one way street, which he was riding up the wrong way. I tend to take the view that I shouldn't need to look both ways  >:(   Hope the guys in the clip carry organ donor cards.

*does not like*

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #5449 on: 28 April, 2011, 02:18:00 pm »
Went to pick up new axe , which was in rucksack-type bag. Headwind all way home. Big sail area on back. Arse.