Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2496841 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #5450 on: 28 April, 2011, 08:17:31 pm »
Went to pick up new axe , which was in rucksack-type bag. Headwind all way home. Big sail area on back. Arse.

Yeah but you have a new axe
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #5451 on: 28 April, 2011, 08:26:50 pm »
"End of April. Time for a new axe".
As my granny always used to say.....

« Reply #5452 on: 28 April, 2011, 08:32:45 pm »
Went to pick up new axe , which was in rucksack-type bag. Headwind all way home. Big sail area on back. Arse.

Anyone try a close pass?  :demon:

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #5453 on: 28 April, 2011, 09:33:32 pm »
Picture of said new axe is on the "Instruments" thread on OT Gallery.

« Reply #5454 on: 28 April, 2011, 10:01:25 pm »
 :facepalm:

« Reply #5455 on: 28 April, 2011, 10:15:51 pm »

Not yet?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

simonp

« Reply #5456 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:06:33 pm »
So I left work after 10pm in the end, and I had to take a detour because of blue police tape across the road.  First I saw a couple of blues & twos heading /away/ from the scene, then I came upon it, about 5 police/ambulance vehicles in attendance on Coldhams Lane, and the road closed.  Took a right, down a cycle path, rejoined at next side road beyond the closure.  No idea WTF is going on, but when I got to Teversham Drift I saw another police vehicle coming the other way and a /fire engine/ stopped at the roadside with its engine running - waiting to get involved if needed?

simonp

« Reply #5457 on: 29 April, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »
So I left work after 10pm in the end, and I had to take a detour because of blue police tape across the road.  First I saw a couple of blues & twos heading /away/ from the scene, then I came upon it, about 5 police/ambulance vehicles in attendance on Coldhams Lane, and the road closed.  Took a right, down a cycle path, rejoined at next side road beyond the closure.  No idea WTF is going on, but when I got to Teversham Drift I saw another police vehicle coming the other way and a /fire engine/ stopped at the roadside with its engine running - waiting to get involved if needed?

Oh dear. :(

Cambridge News | Latest News Headlines From Cambridge City & Cambridgeshire | National News By Cambridge News | Death is confirmed after house fire in Cambridge

I must have arrived on the scene about 10 minutes after the first fire engine got there.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #5458 on: 29 April, 2011, 08:47:56 pm »

Not yet?

Is there now!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5459 on: 03 May, 2011, 07:59:09 am »
Hedgerows solid white with what I assume to be hawthorn blossom, verges ditto with cow parsley.  Astonishing how quickly things change at this time of year.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5460 on: 03 May, 2011, 08:29:02 am »
First day back on the commute after a week's holiday!  Left home at 7:15, lovely fresh morning and a fast time in.  Shame about the job at the end of it, but hey.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5461 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:30:00 am »
Lovely weather, if a bit cold.  Still, shorts & ss jersey were fine.  However, I must have been invisible, as two very close passes caused me to swear.

On Upper Tooting Road, there was a plaver, with a few cyclists stood at the side of the road with a driver, whose car was still in the middle of the road, part way through a manoeuvre of pulling out of a side road on the right.  Not sure what happened, but I think I can guess.

Bit further on, I had yet another close pass - this time from a Lambeth-contracted Veolia bus.  He then pulled in to the ASL reservoir at the lights.  I stopped in front of him, and explained what he'd done (he didn't seem aware that it was an offence ::-) ), asking for more space next time he passed.

As I turned to get ready for the lights to change, another rider said that the same had happened to him.  But I brightened up about half a dozen riders' commutes when I told them that, by pure happenstance, I have a contract review discussion with Veolia scheduled for later today. ;D

Ironic, really, given that Veolia/Lambeth make so much of a deal about their drivers' cycle awareness training, and that they have warning signs on the back of the buses.

The driver's apology, of course, counted for naught when we came to the place where general traffic merges into the bus lane.  Prat.

Hey ho.  If I can't educate the driver about the rules of the road, he will at least learn that people riding bikes can be influential.
Getting there...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5462 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:34:36 am »

Hey ho.  If I can't educate the driver about the rules of the road, he will at least learn that people riding bikes can be influential.

"With great power comes great responsibility"  :thumbsup:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #5463 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:43:41 am »
You'll report that driver, right?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5464 on: 03 May, 2011, 10:57:32 am »
To Lambeth, Veolia and Roadsafe, you betcha! ;D

Just mid-grink ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #5465 on: 03 May, 2011, 11:06:07 am »
Chuffed!  Fankooo verra much.   :thumbsup:  ;D

Nightfly

« Reply #5466 on: 03 May, 2011, 11:41:56 am »
Lovely weather, if a bit cold.  Still, shorts & ss jersey were fine.  However, I must have been invisible, as two very close passes caused me to swear.

On Upper Tooting Road, there was a plaver, with a few cyclists stood at the side of the road with a driver, whose car was still in the middle of the road, part way through a manoeuvre of pulling out of a side road on the right.  Not sure what happened, but I think I can guess.

Bit further on, I had yet another close pass - this time from a Lambeth-contracted Veolia bus.  He then pulled in to the ASL reservoir at the lights.  I stopped in front of him, and explained what he'd done (he didn't seem aware that it was an offence ::-) ), asking for more space next time he passed.

As I turned to get ready for the lights to change, another rider said that the same had happened to him.  But I brightened up about half a dozen riders' commutes when I told them that, by pure happenstance, I have a contract review discussion with Veolia scheduled for later today. ;D

Ironic, really, given that Veolia/Lambeth make so much of a deal about their drivers' cycle awareness training, and that they have warning signs on the back of the buses.

The driver's apology, of course, counted for naught when we came to the place where general traffic merges into the bus lane.  Prat.

Hey ho.  If I can't educate the driver about the rules of the road, he will at least learn that people riding bikes can be influential.

Priceless  :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5467 on: 03 May, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »
Bloody cold this morning in the sun.  Cheeky east wind

simonp

« Reply #5468 on: 03 May, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »
Whee!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #5469 on: 03 May, 2011, 12:18:31 pm »
Cold knees....not nice.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5470 on: 03 May, 2011, 12:41:51 pm »
You'll report that driver, right?
To Lambeth, Veolia and Roadsafe, you betcha! ;D

Just mid-grink ;)

Reported to Met via Roadsafe and to Lambeth Council.  Unsurprisingly, it is hard to get a complaints contact for Veolia, but have left a telephone message with a senior manager.  Letter to them drafted and ready to roll as soon as I get an address.

Sadly, the Veolia contract review has been postponed. :(

Getting there...

Tourist Tony

« Reply #5471 on: 03 May, 2011, 12:51:50 pm »
Veolia: where from this name she come?

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5472 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:10:14 pm »
Veolia: where from this name she come?

She's one of the 9 modern muses, along with

Accenture,
   Aviva,
   Corus,
   Diageo,
   Emis,
   Lenovo,
   Prius,

and

Qinetiq
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5473 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:18:08 pm »
At least EMIS is a proper acronym - Egton Medical Information Systems.  The rest are just adman PR focusgroup-tested international bollox.
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5474 on: 03 May, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »
Heh, I did put that one in just for you ;)