Author Topic: Eric "Merckx" Millington  (Read 353 times)

Eric "Merckx" Millington
« on: 22 April, 2024, 07:20:49 pm »
It is with sad regret that I must inform you of the passing of Eric Millington from Wolverhampton.  Eric was one of the earliest members of AUK and was a very strong rider using massive gearing on his bike and became known locally as "Merckx" Millington.  I will try and add further details as and when I get them.

Re: Eric "Merckx" Millington
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:34:26 pm »
How sad, I remember him well from my early years of cycling, class rider,hard as nails and very friendly.

Was a regular on the old Windsor chester as I remember

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:52:02 pm »
Before my time but I hope there is a piece in Arrivee. I might ask Barry Parslow what he remembers of Millington.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 07:32:33 pm »
I believe that Eric rode and finished the first ever Windsor-Chester-Windsor (600k) back in 1976 and 'towed' a group for quite some distance to the finish in the wind and rain of that year.  He was also a good friend of the late Dave Pountney and never had a driving licence so had to ride to and from the events that he entered.

The funeral is next Wednesday 1st May in Albrighton near Wolverhampton.  Please PM me if you wish to attend and I will send you the details.