Author Topic: Highway code query  (Read 2347 times)

Highway code query
« on: 05 February, 2020, 12:38:58 pm »
I thought there was a reference to motorists need to beware that cyclists may need to move wider (take primary) as it's safer, but can't find it.  Anyone know?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Highway code query
« Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2020, 12:42:12 pm »
Perhaps you're thinking of..

Rule 163 of the Highway Code states that when passing cyclists, drivers should give "as much room as you would when overtaking a car". ... The organisation also recommends the code should require vehicles to give way to pedestrians and cyclists when turning

..?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2020, 12:43:17 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 05 February, 2020, 12:47:10 pm »

Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2020, 01:18:02 pm »

Rule 163 of the Highway Code states that when passing cyclists, drivers should give "as much room as you would when overtaking a car". ... The organisation also recommends the code should require vehicles to give way to pedestrians and cyclists when turning

..?

That one's always irked me, giving as much room as a car is generally due to the constraints of roads being 2 lorries wide, a few cm between wing mirror tips.
What it really means is move over like you would to pass a car, i.e. in the other lane.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2020, 01:46:10 pm »

..?

That one's always irked me, giving as much room as a car is generally due to the constraints of roads being 2 lorries wide, a few cm between wing mirror tips.
What it really means is move over like you would to pass a car, i.e. in the other lane.

It also exacerbates the issue of gutter cycle lanes:  Motorists generally assume that if they stay inside the white line, then they don't have to worry about whatever's in the other lanes.  Which results in dangerously close passes of cyclists obeying the magic paint.

« Reply #6 on: 05 February, 2020, 01:49:33 pm »
Maybe 'wider is safer' never existed; was sure I remembered something though... 

Wonder when the govt will get around to reviewing & updating the highway code re. cyclists

« Reply #7 on: 05 February, 2020, 01:57:08 pm »

Wonder when the govt will get around to reviewing & updating the highway code re. cyclists

Beware!  In the past there's always been a fight to stop them adding unwelcome new rules.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2020, 02:00:02 pm »

Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

You'll notice they don't mention potholes the size of Luton.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2020, 02:04:20 pm »

Beware!  In the past there's always been a fight to stop them adding unwelcome new rules.

Fair enough - best not to assume any changes would be in best interests of cyclists, or have been properly consulted on with cycling orgs..

« Reply #10 on: 05 February, 2020, 02:24:34 pm »
Interestingly, around 2006...   https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaign/new-highway-code-historic-campaign   Looks like CUK's recommendation never made it in...

New Rule before Rule 58 / 18:
Road positioning for cyclists   Insert before Rule 58:
“When you are able to keep up with traffic or where it would be unsafe for you to be overtaken, you should normally ride in the middle of the left-hand traffic lane.  In faster traffic and where there is space for you to be overtaken safely, you should ride to the left of other traffic but never closer than 0.75m to the road edge or another vehicle.”   

This wording encourages cyclists to use road positioning to maximise their safety, in accordance with recognised good practice advice (e.g. in the Stationary Office publication ‘Cyclecraft’).

« Reply #11 on: 05 February, 2020, 07:01:41 pm »
Interestingly, around 2006...   https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaign/new-highway-code-historic-campaign   Looks like CUK's recommendation never made it in...

“When you are able to keep up with traffic or where it would be unsafe for you to be overtaken, you should normally ride in the middle of the left-hand traffic lane.  In faster traffic and where there is space for you to be overtaken safely, you should ride to the left of other traffic but never closer than 0.75m to the road edge or another vehicle.”   

This wording encourages cyclists to use road positioning to maximise their safety, in accordance with recognised good practice advice (e.g. in the Stationary Office publication ‘Cyclecraft’).

Ah yes I remember that, it would have been a good one. Especially as several publications of advice to cyclists mangled it to "you should ride to the left of the road and never further than 0.75m from the road edge". 
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2020, 10:46:49 am »

You'll notice they don't mention potholes the size of Luton.

It would probably be an improvement if Luton disappeared into a pothole...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 07 February, 2020, 07:38:29 pm »

Ah yes I remember that, it would have been a good one. Especially as several publications of advice to cyclists mangled it to "you should ride to the left of the road and never further than 0.75m from the road edge".
Even the CTC's own safe pass campaign mat has mangled it towards that.

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.