Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 452476 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #500 on: 23 January, 2015, 05:40:34 pm »
Most time trials have offset start times, usually measured in minutes, and TTs are definitely races.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #501 on: 23 January, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »
It is too late for them. The riders are demonstrably insane, just for wanting to tackle this record.

It's strange how distance shrinks, the more you do of it. Time and travel don't occupy a fixed space, as the mind discards information it's already seen. Then there's the way that endurance exercise increases the cell mitochondria in the brain.
There's a whole lot of biochemistry going on that might warrant some research.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #502 on: 23 January, 2015, 05:59:16 pm »
Of course it's a race. First defn from google is
" a contest of speed"
...  which it most certainly is.

Most time trials have offset start times, usually measured in minutes, and TTs are definitely races.

OK, you've convinced me. Not that I needed much convincing. It's definitely a race.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #503 on: 24 January, 2015, 07:58:20 am »
I may have this wrong,  ;) but don't the competitors in TimeTrials start and finish at the SAME two points on the Earth's surface and follow the SAME route between????

"Latest sports news flash. Manchester United scored 234 goals at St James' Park while Chelsea scored 256 goals at Villa Park. That means Chelsea won by 22 goals."
Weren't they supposed to be playing on the same pitch?
"No, that doesn't matter. They were both playing football."
Football pitches can be different sizes.
"That doesn't matter either. I've already said, stupid, they were both playing football."

Calling Kurt and Steve's record attempts a 'race' is a chronic misinterpretation of reality.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #504 on: 24 January, 2015, 08:23:44 am »
I may have this wrong,  ;) but don't the competitors in TimeTrials start and finish at the SAME two points on the Earth's surface and follow the SAME route between????

"Latest sports news flash. Manchester United scored 234 goals at St James' Park while Chelsea scored 256 goals at Villa Park. That means Chelsea won by 22 goals."
Weren't they supposed to be playing on the same pitch?
"No, that doesn't matter. They were both playing football."
Football pitches can be different sizes.
"That doesn't matter either. I've already said, stupid, they were both playing football."

Calling Kurt and Steve's record attempts a 'race' is a chronic misinterpretation of reality.
And next you'll be saying the record won't count unless there's a World War on  :facepalm:

(and what about round-the-world yacht racing???? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #505 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:02:40 am »
Still not quite sure I see it as a race, more of an extreme endurance test for two independent participants, and perhaps, more than a race...  Though I'm not quite sure what I mean by this...   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #506 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:13:46 am »
I believe there was a race to be the first to reach the South Pole. Hopefully all participants in this particular race will survive the experience.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #507 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:16:56 am »
I believe there was a race to be the first to reach the South Pole. Hopefully all participants in this particular race will survive the experience.

Steve should be OK. I understand he doesn't eat porridge, and therefore doesn't have anything to do with Oates.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

citoyen

« Reply #508 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:29:34 am »
Although he has gone out and may be some time.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #509 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:33:54 am »

Steve should be OK. I understand he doesn't eat porridge, and therefore doesn't have anything to do with Oates.

Taxi for Wowbagger :facepalm:

citoyen

« Reply #510 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:38:27 am »

TT records aren't course-dependent though, are they?

Neither Steve or Kurt are using the same route as Tommy G.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #511 on: 24 January, 2015, 01:58:21 pm »
When did it become a ‘Race’?

Maybe 'race' isn't quite the mot juste but it's most definitely a contest. And all the more exciting for it.
" a contest of speed"

The only debatable aspect is the offset start times,  but that is splitting hairs. It's still about who averages the highest speed over 365 days.

....plus note the word 'contest'.

It is a competition, there will only be one winner.

Go Go Go Go STEVE!!

H

« Reply #512 on: 24 January, 2015, 02:19:45 pm »
When did it become a ‘Race’?

Maybe 'race' isn't quite the mot juste but it's most definitely a contest. And all the more exciting for it.
" a contest of speed"

The only debatable aspect is the offset start times,  but that is splitting hairs. It's still about who averages the highest speed over 365 days.

....plus note the word 'contest'.

It is a competition, there will only be one winner.

Go Go Go Go STEVE!!

H
^Yessssssss!  ;D ;D ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #513 on: 24 January, 2015, 08:50:32 pm »
Flying today in a west to east direction, but then there was a 24mph westerly wind when he started. Would have been stupid not to have taken advantage of it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #514 on: 24 January, 2015, 09:23:15 pm »

2. How will the riders avoid going insane?

Steve can compose his acceptance speech for when he receives his knighthood.

Or BBC Sports Personality of the Year

For that he'd need to be available for loads of media whoring this year.

I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Or, you need:

a) The panel to put Steve up in the shortlist.
b) about 300,000 cyclists to vote for him on the night.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #515 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:09:37 pm »
It's still about who averages the highest speed over 365 days.

Well, only if you take the audax definition of speed and include all the time off the bike. If Steve gets it, his moving average will almost certainly still be lower than Kurt's.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #516 on: 24 January, 2015, 10:43:39 pm »
It's still about who averages the highest speed over 365 days.

You are gotted that wrongly
It is simpler than it looks.

red marley

« Reply #517 on: 24 January, 2015, 11:24:26 pm »
But one of the challenges of OYTT is that it really is the average speed that counts, as measured over every second of the year. There must be tremendous pressure when not riding as the clock is always ticking and there is no letup. Hats off to all three riders and those that have attempted it in the past.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #518 on: 25 January, 2015, 07:51:59 am »
But one of the challenges of OYTT is that it really is the average speed that counts, as measured over every second of the year. There must be tremendous pressure when not riding as the clock is always ticking and there is no letup. Hats off to all three riders and those that have attempted it in the past.
Yup - same as any other bike race in fact!

The tourDeF doesn't stop the clock for pee-stops,  its just like Audax in that sense. So your pedantry is wrong this time,  js :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #519 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:28:51 am »
The ape man has a video up showing he snapped his bars of his bike yesterday, fork failed. very fortunate he didn't crash and has backup. 

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #520 on: 25 January, 2015, 08:42:47 am »
ive just watched that!!!

(I think it was the steerer where it leaves the head-tube)

that is bad luck - and quite a good excuse for a support vehicle.

Of course Steve would have fixed it with a stick splint ....
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #521 on: 25 January, 2015, 09:39:56 am »
Interesting validation of Steve's choice of steel....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #522 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:00:15 am »
The ape man has a video up showing he snapped his bars of his bike yesterday, fork failed. very fortunate he didn't crash and has backup.

Do you have a link to that, perchance? I visited Tarzan's website but couldn't find any videos.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hillbilly

« Reply #523 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:01:34 am »
That could have been nasty.  I see his left forearm is heavily bandaged - I'm presuming he came off, hopefully not a speed.

hillbilly

« Reply #524 on: 25 January, 2015, 10:02:43 am »
It's on Facebook.  Search for Kurt searvogel ham'r.