Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 460045 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #575 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:23:48 pm »
Looking again at the video of the Cervalo's forks/steerer breaking, the Giant on the carrier behind the van already seems to me to have the rear derailleur at a bit of an odd angle. Had that already broken and it only came to light when he tried to use it?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #576 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:25:32 pm »
So far this is paying off, but the test will come once Steve's kit reaches the mileage that Kurt's already has on it.

Steve's still only ridden one of the bikes, hasn't he? It will be interesting to see what difference the choice of equipment makes on this record.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #577 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:28:06 pm »
Possibly; the video seems to have been shot at dawn.

I do wonder if Kurt is trying to do all his fettling himself, which is a lot to take on with the riding. 

I agree that top end equipment, while saving a few grammes, will be less robust.  Worth going a step or two down the ladder.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #578 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:29:12 pm »
No good will come of this building of bicycles out of compressed soot, you mark my words.

Time to stop hankering after that M5 CHR :-\
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #579 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:32:18 pm »
Kurt's bikes seem good quality, probably a bit knackered after his previous long distance rides or/and mishandling. one component i'd be doubtful is rolf prima wheels (16 spokes front and rear) - they are definitely strong wheels, i've seen them on tandems before, but i'd like more spokes for peace of mind, especially as he's big and strong rider.

eta: the elbow pad that broke is flimsy plastic profile design (i've got one of them), better to choose something more robust

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #580 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:33:26 pm »
Mike Hall rode round the world on a Dirty Disco.  Hanker away, Mr L. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #581 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:34:34 pm »
I was surprised he was not on fresh bikes from a sponsor.  That's kinda sad, as I would have hoped that one of the big US firms would want to get behind the effort.
Getting there...

« Reply #582 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:39:19 pm »
I'd got the impression he  was happy to fund it himself from his own business, and perhaps hadn't gone on a quest for sponsors.

« Reply #583 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:55:04 pm »
I'd got the impression he  was happy to fund it himself from his own business, and perhaps hadn't gone on a quest for sponsors.

From his blogs it looked like he had initially set aside the plans to undertake the challenge until the UMCA published the regulations, then he decided to give it a go. That delay to commit removed the opportunity to seek sponsors in advance and may now backfire both financially and in terms of using worn equipment. Alternatively the manufactures of his current bikes may wish to provide new replacements to prevent further negative publicity due to equipment failure.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #584 on: 26 January, 2015, 02:58:49 pm »
In which case, as true sporting BRITONS, we should be shouting from the rooftops precisely how terrible $SOOTBIKES are until the manufacturer does the necessary ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #585 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:15:10 pm »
With a potential mileage of over 80,000, there are going to be maintenance issues for all trialists.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #586 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:33:04 pm »
Steve is aiming to spread the mileage fairly evenly amongst his three bikes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #587 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:47:09 pm »
He's not daft.  And I think having disc brakes should make the wheels last a lot longer.
Getting there...

hillbilly

« Reply #588 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:48:30 pm »
based on Facebook, Kurt is hoping to line up sponsors (there is reference to liking his page to make it easier to get sponsors). 

I hope he gets some.  Like his page to help out.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #589 on: 26 January, 2015, 03:49:41 pm »
I hope so.  It would be a shame if mechanical issues made the difference ultimately.
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #590 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:15:17 pm »
The year record could be the new hour record: now that the UCI have stopped demanding you race the hour on a bike from 1970, the UMCA should start insisting you ride the year on a bike from 1940.

Yes?
I think there should be a vintage section of all records.
Quilled onto parchment, never to be seen on t'internet.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #591 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:53:26 pm »
I hope so.  It would be a shame if mechanical issues made the difference ultimately.

Yep, mishap or mechanical would be a sad way for one person to 'lose'.  While there is obviously good naturedly partisan support here for Steve, no-one would want the issue to be decided by issues other than physical ability and mental fortitude.  Sure Kurt is buying his support with money and Steve with goodwill but they are both dependent on others for much beyond their own riding choices and skills.

« Reply #592 on: 26 January, 2015, 05:59:14 pm »
No good will come of this building of bicycles out of compressed soot, you mark my words.

Don't say that Mr Mayor, I've just set aside a corner of my already appallingly grubby flat for the use of all sorts of basic tools, bits of bin bags, tapes, various bits of paper, liquid foam, SOOT glue, and a fair bit of SOOT fabric! TG has inspired me [seriously] to get off my lazy arse and do what I've been thinking about doing for the last 8 years. And I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing. For better or for worse, it will be done. And, I've decided to stay off the juice until it's done too. I'll let you know :-\  :facepalm:

Anyway, getting back to Kurt [as it's his thread]....he makes me laugh. He's quite a character. Very kind of improvisatory, bit impulsive, maybe a bit unpredictable [as well as being a phenomenal athlete] . Just a feeling I get.

Something else though, and I think it's about the sheer scale of the United States. Unless he's going to stay in one small area of the US [and that could bring issues with the weather] it's a lot more difficult for him to set up the degree of community support that Teethgrinder has going for him [and I'm referring to those who are physically helping him with meals, bikes, home support etc. He has a Team, right? Does Kurt have a team? Maybe he does, I don't know. If he wanted to, it's possible for TG to go anywhere in the UK and stay with people and he'd still be never that far from home. Tarzen doesn't have that, not unless he decides to restrict his movements. To me, he's much more isolated than TG. And that's just a geographical thing, not because of what kind of person he might be. Each rider will have to dig real deep into mental reserves later on, there's no telling what kind of mental landscape they could be inhabiting. To have that degree of support might be a very important factor for maintaining balance later on. It's still all a bit of a novelty at the moment.

I remember reading this in October:

I'm more concerned about the psychological effects during the attempt than anything else to be honest. I think that could be a big maker or breaker.
Garry Broad

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #593 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:05:01 pm »
^^^^^wot e said.

Can you imagine the call? "HELP!!! Steve needs to borrow a worthy steed urgently to finish off the section through Lymeswold-on-the-Cheese"

I would imagine that there would be many offers of assistance from this congested yet closely packed island.

H

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #594 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:31:03 pm »
Yea, good post Senor Broad.

A blue sky thinking thought: Kurt (and team) might start to realise the power of crowd-sourced support,  and look to generate some later in the year.
(His team are more likely to drive this, the quicker he pisses them off ;) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LMT

« Reply #595 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:32:33 pm »
I was surprised he was not on fresh bikes from a sponsor.  That's kinda sad, as I would have hoped that one of the big US firms would want to get behind the effort.

Dunno if the 'bent was given to him by Bacchetta but John Schillter (Bacchetta designer) fitted the bike for him.

LMT

« Reply #596 on: 26 January, 2015, 06:35:02 pm »

Don't say that Mr Mayor, I've just set aside a corner of my already appallingly grubby flat for the use of all sorts of basic tools, bits of bin bags, tapes, various bits of paper, liquid foam, SOOT glue, and a fair bit of SOOT fabric! TG has inspired me [seriously] to get off my lazy arse and do what I've been thinking about doing for the last 8 years. And I haven't really got a clue what I'm doing. For better or for worse, it will be done. And, I've decided to stay off the juice until it's done too. I'll let you know :-\  :facepalm:....

I hope to see it on the line in Paris...

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #597 on: 26 January, 2015, 08:04:51 pm »
Blowing a 20 mph westerly in Florida - Kurt's just done an east to west transfer to take advantage of it (I assume) hope it's not due to another mishap  :-\

edit: having looked again the transfer wasn't as far as I thought it was. Wonder why he did it in a vehicle if it was only 6 miles? Is this a pattern we're going to see alot if there's a short stretch of headwind?

« Reply #598 on: 26 January, 2015, 08:13:15 pm »
Blowing a 20 mph westerly in Florida - Kurt's just done an east to west transfer to take advantage of it (I assume) hope it's not due to another mishap  :-\

Well, 3pm+ there as we speak, and that journey he's done is only about 50km....heading south now?
Garry Broad

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #599 on: 26 January, 2015, 08:23:02 pm »
Yes, moving south and tracker's logged another 6 miles since the transfer :)