Author Topic: [HAMR] Tarzan (Kurt Searvogel)  (Read 451803 times)

Re: Tarzan.
« Reply #675 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:31:40 am »
100bpm? That's rubbish, I averaged 161 on the way to work yesterday and I wasn't even trying!

::-)

« Reply #676 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:32:03 am »
A chap I knew years ago got his golf handicap down on the ‘gentlest’ course in the area. He bragged about his single figure.
When he played the course my buddies and I played, we blew him out the water.

Think on that, Kurt.

Why should he? He's not playing golf...!

He has some advantages just now, and he's playing to them - as he should. When Florida starts heating up - and it will quite soon - and then later starts chucking enormous thunderstorms at him, Steve will (eventually!) have the advantage of the UK's far more benevolent summer. But, whatever the circumstances, that was a mighty impressive day's ride!

Dohhh,,

Its a metaphor.

« Reply #677 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:35:40 am »
^--- There's friendly rivalry and then there's just mean spirited sniping. 400k in under 13 hours is impressive in any conditions. It's extraordinary after 3 weeks of 300km days with another 49 weeks to go.

Agreed. And with an average HR < 100. Astonishing!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #678 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:37:01 am »
It was a very good ride. Purely out of interest (not sniping to be clear), I wonder how much of that he did on the bent.

It will also be interesting to see how he backs it up today, or whether it's taken quite a lot out of him.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #679 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:41:35 am »
What’s his average Wattage?

If this ain’t much, his HR won’t be much.

hillbilly

« Reply #680 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:53:30 am »
What is his favourite colour?

« Reply #681 on: 29 January, 2015, 10:57:38 am »
What’s his average Wattage?

If this ain’t much, his HR won’t be much.

We don't know.  Strava is only giving its estimates rather than readings from a power meter.  They will be high because they won't take into account that he's mostly riding downwind.

I did track his average power and energy expended vs Steve for a few days.  It was suggesting that he was taking a fair bit more out of himself than Steve was to ride at his pace.   But I gave up when I realised that the wind thing meant it was probably not a like-for-like comparison.  It would be interesting, if we had the data!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #682 on: 29 January, 2015, 11:05:01 am »
100bpm? That's rubbish, I averaged 161 on the way to work yesterday and I wasn't even trying!

Pfft! I hit 192 on the 2km between Gartnavel and the Western Infirmary and wasn't trying...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #683 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:24:35 pm »
I'd love to see how his heart rates compare between the two bikes.

Now I have a HR monitor I'm giving this some serious thought comparing the bent to the upright. There's a very nice 1k drag close to me which averages at just under 4%. Going to try and compare going at various speeds and all out. Watch this space...

I'll also be interested to see that.  My anecdata is that while my overall performance on recumbent and functionally similar  upright is comparable (at standard 1000m/100k hilliness), my heartrate is higher on the upright for the same perceived level of effort.  I have to really work to hit 190BPM on a 'bent.  Also, I've just started riding a Brompton, which is understandably slower than either and results in horrendously high heartrates without really trying.

« Reply #684 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:39:10 pm »
I'd love to see how his heart rates compare between the two bikes.

Now I have a HR monitor I'm giving this some serious thought comparing the bent to the upright. There's a very nice 1k drag close to me which averages at just under 4%. Going to try and compare going at various speeds and all out. Watch this space...

I'll also be interested to see that.  My anecdata is that while my overall performance on recumbent and functionally similar  upright is comparable (at standard 1000m/100k hilliness), my heartrate is higher on the upright for the same perceived level of effort.  I have to really work to hit 190BPM on a 'bent.  Also, I've just started riding a Brompton, which is understandably slower than either and results in horrendously high heartrates without really trying.

Freewheel down a known gradient ( through still air ) on the Diamond Frame and note your ‘Equilibrium Velocity’.
Repeat on the recumbent and you’ll find your EV is faster.

This is because the ‘bent has a lower Cd. It will have a lower CdA and therefore require less Watts to maintain a steady speed on the flat.

The Brommie will have a higher Cd again, having a larger X-Section area, cus you’re sat more erect than the Touring DF.

« Reply #685 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:40:18 pm »
Also, I've just started riding a Brompton, which is understandably slower than either and results in horrendously high heartrates without really trying.

I've still only ever ridden audaxes on a Brompton. Perhaps some day I should try big wheels and see if it's easier...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #686 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:40:49 pm »
It's the HR average <100 that astounds me.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #687 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:45:18 pm »
Kurt has usually started by now - presumably he's giving himself a lie in after yesterday's exploits.

« Reply #688 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:52:56 pm »
Kurt has usually started by now - presumably he's giving himself a lie in after yesterday's exploits.

This, of course illustrates the debate - Is it really worth pushing the boat out one day if you suffer for it the next? Surely 2 days at 180 (360) are better on your body than 1 day at 200 and then struggling to dp 160 the next?  Even if the total mileage is the same.

Vive Plan Teethgrinder!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #689 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:54:48 pm »
Freewheel down a known gradient ( through still air ) on the Diamond Frame and note your ‘Equilibrium Velocity’.
Repeat on the recumbent and you’ll find your EV is faster.

This is because the ‘bent has a lower Cd. It will have a lower CdA and therefore require less Watts to maintain a steady speed on the flat.

The Brommie will have a higher Cd again, having a larger X-Section area, cus you’re sat more erect than the Touring DF.

Well yes, obviously.  That's why recuments are good on the flat.  I think the Brommie's losses over the DF are more from the small wheels (which are truly awful on certain types of road surface), silly suspension and gears-inna-can, though once you do get some speed up it is like riding with a parachute.

But I'm thinking more about climbing, when it's basically weight vs power.

What's interesting that it's subjectively easier to work at a higher power output (assuming that's what the heartrate is reflecting) in a more upright position.  Not sure if that's psychological (ie. that I'm trying to maintain a habitual speed and cadence in spite of greater power losses) or biomechanical.  Which is why it'll be interesting to see how Kurt gets on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #690 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:55:34 pm »
Also, I've just started riding a Brompton, which is understandably slower than either and results in horrendously high heartrates without really trying.

I've still only ever ridden audaxes on a Brompton. Perhaps some day I should try big wheels and see if it's easier...

It's certainly more comfortable :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #691 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »
This, of course illustrates the debate - Is it really worth pushing the boat out one day if you suffer for it the next?

Depends what you count as pushing the boat out. I'd say riding for 12 hours at an average heart rate of 94bpm is taking it reasonably easy (notwithstanding that most of us would struggle to cover half the distance at that level of effort).

Still too early to say if there will be any side effects of that ride.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #692 on: 29 January, 2015, 01:59:46 pm »
This, of course illustrates the debate - Is it really worth pushing the boat out one day if you suffer for it the next?

Depends what you count as pushing the boat out. I'd say riding for 12 hours at an average heart rate of 94bpm is taking it reasonably easy (notwithstanding that most of us would struggle to cover half the distance at that level of effort).

Still too early to say if there will be any side effects of that ride.

Whether he overcooked it or not, he's having a damn good lay-in this morning. Its now 9am and the SPOT hasn't fired up yet.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #693 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:08:40 pm »
Indeed. Just looked at the weather for Key Largo and it looks like a perfect day for riding (slightly overcast, 16ºC, 1mph wind), which makes the late start seem especially odd.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #694 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:10:33 pm »
He could just be having one of those short days he promised himself at the start.

« Reply #695 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:10:57 pm »
It's the HR average <100 that astounds me.

I dread to think how slowly I'd have to cycle to keep my av HR under 100 for any amount of distance*...   My av HR on a 15km commute (with two 'hills' is around) is around 150bpm.

* going to have to give it a go now...  ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #696 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:11:06 pm »

Pfft! I hit 192 on the 2km between Gartnavel and the Western Infirmary and wasn't trying...

That was just the stress of driving in Glasgow!

;)

« Reply #697 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:15:50 pm »
Tarzan's tracker has just fired up. 2:15pm

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #698 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:16:48 pm »
Aye, Vehicle transfer and away.

He has started this late before and still done big mileage not that late.

« Reply #699 on: 29 January, 2015, 02:17:29 pm »
Aye, Vehicle transfer and away.

He has started this late before and still done big mileage

He's started a long way from where he finished last night.