Author Topic: Malcolm Elliot in Tour of Britain  (Read 2146 times)

Really Ancien

Malcolm Elliot in Tour of Britain
« on: 08 September, 2008, 07:44:50 pm »
I haven't been paying close attention to this so I was surprised to find that 47 year old Malcolm Elliot is not only still riding but came over the line in 9th place today in Newbury. It's a good thing I turned 50 last week, so I've got an excuse.

Damon.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Malcolm Elliot in Tour of Britain
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2008, 09:02:29 pm »
Malcolm Elliott - carved from millstone grit.
Getting there...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2008, 07:40:35 am »
Oooh. I hate Mr. Elliot (I don't but you know what I mean - and don't tell him I said that - he could probably beat me to a pulp one handed).  There I was quite happily using the, "Once you're past 40 your body takes much longer to recover after exercise and muscle mass loss accelerates." as the perfect excuse for being the slowest in the (any) group and then our Mr. Elliot (re)starts winning Premier Calendar events beating chaps half his age and now he does this.  Gahh!  And don't get me started about Mme Longo.  :)

*Wanders to look for another excuse all the while muttering to himself* 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:13:04 am »
I remember I met him a couple of times in the Peak District.*  Never claimed to be a climber, but was hard as nails.

* Going opposite directions.  If he was going my way, he'd have passed in a blur
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2008, 07:19:33 pm »
He won the Tour of Britain in 1987. I think he was #1 in the world sprinter rankings around that time. Could be wrong about that, but sprinting was his strong point. Also rode the TDF at least once. I'd have never expected him to be riding this year in the Tour of Britain.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:09:36 pm »
He won the points competition in the Vuelta 20 bloomin years ago & is still a top class sprinter :o
chapeau  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:20:25 pm »
mainly famous in my house for being the only rider in the peloton without a cyclist's tan (allegedly)
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2008, 11:40:52 pm »
Even more remarkable if you believe the stories of the hard partying that kept him occupied between retiremnt and comeback. A Class act!  ;)