Author Topic: Podium Drag Queens Will Not Feature at Giro Amsterdam Stages  (Read 5513 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Podium Drag Queens Will Not Feature at Giro Amsterdam Stages
« Reply #25 on: 22 February, 2010, 04:33:35 pm »
I suspect you'll find it's the other way around: lots of women are put off watching cycle racing due to the totty factor.

Odd that, whenever the Tour is on and there are frauen around, they're all "cor, look at his lovely bum!"  ;D  The boy-totty factor is strong.

Although somewhat lacking in recent years...  :'(

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #26 on: 22 February, 2010, 04:40:14 pm »
I think people underestimate how professional the podium girls are - just watch how they manage the stage, bringing forward the local dignitary who doesn't know where to stand, reassuring the youngsters, making sure they are in the background for photos and the "important" people are centre stage.

all done with minimum fuss and maximum grace. 
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #27 on: 22 February, 2010, 06:11:59 pm »
For those neanderthals amongst us who still enjoy such things, there's a daily-added-to array of podium totty/others here PezCycling News - What's Cool In Pro Cycling  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #28 on: 06 March, 2010, 08:28:19 pm »
My newspaper has an article about the selection of the Giro Miss in Amsterdam. The local TV-station of Amsterdam makes a show out of that, starting March 24.

Apparently there is one guy that applied, and he made the last 10, he was fluent in Italian.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #29 on: 06 March, 2010, 08:37:25 pm »
The point of the eye candy is to appease the wheezing old commercial codgers and club tie brigade.  It's sexist, exploitative and vulgar in my opinion.   Cycling is one of the few sports that really indulges in this now.   It serves no justifiable purpose.

As for whether competitors are male, female or intersex:  Why does it really matter?   They're all human beings.

gordon taylor

« Reply #30 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:01:19 pm »
The point of the eye candy is to appease the wheezing old commercial codgers and club tie brigade.  It's sexist, exploitative and vulgar in my opinion.   Cycling is one of the few sports that really indulges in this now.   It serves no justifiable purpose.

+1. That's what I was trying to say, but you phrase it better, PB.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »
If the podium team disappears who are the riders going to cop off with then? :demon:

« Reply #32 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:57:29 pm »
If the podium team diappears who are the riders going to cop off with then? :demon:
the drag queens and homosexuals of course

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #33 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:46:42 am »
The point of the eye candy is to appease the wheezing old commercial codgers and club tie brigade.  It's sexist, exploitative and vulgar in my opinion.   Cycling is one of the few sports that really indulges in this now.   

The Olympics has podium girls.  So too does athletics.  Nobody seems to mind about these.  What makes the cycling podium girls so distasteful ?
Aero but not dynamic

gordon taylor

« Reply #34 on: 07 March, 2010, 07:54:24 am »
The Olympics alternates between male and female assistants at the medal ceremonies.

Males here:  http://www.minamat.com/assets/images/autogen/a_sydney1.jpg

Females here: http://news.bn.gs/images/articles/20080819111205540_1.jpg

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #35 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:02:11 am »
The Olympics alternates between male and female assistants at the medal ceremonies.

Males here:  http://www.minamat.com/assets/images/autogen/a_sydney1.jpg

Females here: http://news.bn.gs/images/articles/20080819111205540_1.jpg

Well I never !  I must've only noticed the female ones  :)  Do they arrange it that the men present at the women's events and vice versa ?
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #36 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:34:10 am »
Do they present at all ? I believe they carry the medal and trophies out and a dignitory presents them to the athletes. This is what happens in the Tour de France.

« Reply #37 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:40:23 pm »
And the athletics and Olympic medal bearers don't then surround the champion in excessively close attendance for photographs.   

« Reply #38 on: 07 March, 2010, 05:42:01 pm »
And the athletics and Olympic medal bearers don't then surround the champion in excessively close attendance for photographs.   
that's because they are not representing commercial sponsors I think. That's the difference.

« Reply #39 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:14:42 pm »
"I would not be surprised if she was male or intersex."

Why on earth would you make such an assumption? Simply "oh a WOMAN couldn't do that"? Now that's the reason why there are girls on the podium.

I know proves little, but she was twice married.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Zoidburg

« Reply #40 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:19:33 pm »
"I would not be surprised if she was male or intersex."

Why on earth would you make such an assumption? Simply "oh a WOMAN couldn't do that"? Now that's the reason why there are girls on the podium.

I know proves little, but she was twice married.
Because it was common, a gender test at the 36 Olympics would have ruled out almost the entire field in some events.

If they are competing with men at elite levels then sorry - they are most likely male or borderline.

And quite frankly she looks like a bloke - not a boy - a bloke with a heavy brow, jawline, build etc etc.