Author Topic: Coffee - Grinders and Coffee Makers  (Read 8922 times)

plum

Re: Coffee - Grinders and Coffee Makers
« Reply #50 on: 28 January, 2012, 06:42:58 pm »
I can't hear any clicks other than the switch itself.

I've just discovered something though, contrary to what I said earlier the dripping doesn't start until after I've switched the pump on. So when turned on everything is as it should be, then it delivers the coffee but doesn't shut off the water supply to the dispenser properly. Also when I said before that there is clean water coming out at the same time as the coffee that must imply that the water is coming from somewhere other than the bit that goes into the coffee spout.

Following your other suggestion I discovered something else, once the water has been dripping for a while the top plate gets stupidly hot, almost burned myself when I tried to turn the steam knob. Much hotter than normal. When steam is coming out the dripping stops but starts again as soon as I turn the steam off, and just like before continues to drip until I turn off the power.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Re: Coffee - Grinders and Coffee Makers
« Reply #51 on: 29 January, 2012, 10:56:17 am »
Do you think the boiler is overheating?  Water coming out at boiling point when you press the brew switch?

I suppose it's possible there's a failed thermostat.  I had the brew thermostat on a Rancilio Silvia pop a few years back, but in that case it had failed off rather than on.  In that case, it was a straightforward replacement (maybe £5 for the part and five minutes of fettling), but again can't comment on details of the Delonghi machines.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.