Author Topic: Coffee - Grinders and Coffee Makers  (Read 8877 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Coffee - Grinders and Coffee Makers
« Reply #25 on: 10 October, 2011, 08:05:37 pm »
Now thinking of the Porlex hand grinder for work (damn you all!)

Anyone used one - how long to grind about 20g of beans?

20g of beans?  That's one mother of a breakfast shot, Tony  :D

My Hario mill takes about 150 winds (so maybe between ninety seconds to two minutes) to grind me enough coffee for a double shot in the Aeropress.  That's about 14g and a pretty stiff hit of the nasty first thing in the am...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #26 on: 11 October, 2011, 05:06:05 pm »
Now thinking of the Porlex hand grinder for work (damn you all!)

Anyone used one - how long to grind about 20g of beans?

Depends on the grind size of course. For pour over filter coffee my Kyocera two cup ceramic burr hand grinder needs about 90 to 110 turns of the handle. The difference being the blend of beans and how they are roasted.

I have no experience of the Porlex or Hario but imagine they are fairly similar.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #27 on: 15 October, 2011, 11:49:48 am »
I find myself using my Swissgold one cup coffee filter more than my Aeropress or Pavoni espressso machine.   It's less faff and makes good coffee.  The one cu unit includes a "water regulator" which would appear to fulfll the function of a pour over kettle.

http://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item110310.aspx
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #28 on: 05 January, 2012, 11:14:10 pm »
Damn you all.
No thanks to you lot, today via Mr Postie I recieved a Porlex mini grinder and an Aeropress .....

About an hour ago, armed with instructions from Has beans, 17g Union revalation blend coffeee beans and some hot (but not boiling) water I made my first Aeropress 'espresso'.
It was unbelievably delicious.
I'm still flying around the ceiling.
I need to speak with my Doctor in the morning about doubling the dose of my Beta-blockers.

PS - Brekkie bomb and Jailbreak are in the post ....

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #29 on: 06 January, 2012, 09:51:22 am »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If one shot of Revelation has you "flying around the ceiling", may I suggest handling the Breakfast Bomb with extreme caution...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #30 on: 06 January, 2012, 10:33:23 am »

I now have one of these beasties in my kitchen. It's a Mazzer, and cost and unfeasibly silly amount of money, but....

.......the espresso is noticeably better than when grinding with the £120 MC2 I used for many years.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #31 on: 06 January, 2012, 11:08:33 am »
Just catching up on this thread cos I'm considering getting a grinder. Some good and useful advice on that score - thanks.

However, I'm somewhat surprised at the number of comments advocating the use of paper filters from people who I thought considered themselves serious coffee enthusiasts.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly drink filter coffee and I would definitely agree that you're better off sticking to filter rather than waste money on a crappy espresso machine. But I thought paper filters were a real no-no.

I use a Swissgold permanent filter myself, and although I don't consider myself an aficionado, I reckon I can tell the difference between coffee made with that and coffee made with a paper filter.

Am I only fooling myself?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 06 January, 2012, 11:36:38 am »
Am I only fooling myself?

I can't say.  For myself, when I want long coffee  (espresso isn't always what I crave) I am quite fond of pourover using Hario paper filters in one of their plastic cones.

I always, always, always wash it through with boiling water first, though.  It warms up the filter cone and cup and gets rid of any bleachy nastiness from the paper.

Also, I hate washing permenant filters - with the paper, you just chuck and go  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

citoyen

« Reply #33 on: 06 January, 2012, 11:53:17 am »
Also, I hate washing permenant filters - with the paper, you just chuck and go  :)

If convenience overrides all other concerns, wouldn't you be better off drinking instant? ;)

d.

« Reply #34 on: 06 January, 2012, 12:08:21 pm »

If one shot of Revelation has you "flying around the ceiling", may I suggest handling the Breakfast Bomb with extreme caution...

EEK - The Bomb has landed .....

« Reply #35 on: 06 January, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »
To my taste, certain coffees are suited to certain methods of preparation and some need a light-dose and some sort of unpressurised filtration. I'm pretty happy with bog-standard paper filters and a cheap plastic cone. My favourite light roast coffees taste a bit papery anyway, and I'm not aware of the paper adding anything. Never tried a swissgold though.

Vac pots seem to be making a comeback, although now they are called 'siphons'  ;)
I smashed mine about 6 years ago and haven't replaced it. I think they have the edge on filters for producing clarity of flavours but certainly the Cona I had needed a hefty dose and was time-consuming to use and clean.

citoyen

« Reply #36 on: 06 January, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »
I'm not aware of the paper adding anything.

Aiui, the problem is more what the paper takes away than what it adds.

My experience is that the permanent filter produces a slightly fuller body and stronger flavour, but I'm willing to accept that this may be an illusion.

d.

« Reply #37 on: 06 January, 2012, 01:03:04 pm »
I use Melitta filters and feel my coffee is fine.

But I like mine with foamed milk which presumably could obscure any paper taste should there be any.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #38 on: 06 January, 2012, 01:11:45 pm »
Aiui, the problem is more what the paper takes away than what it adds.

That's my understanding.  In particular, absorption of oils into paper filters.  It's quite plausible that this will vary according to type of paper.  Charlotte's pre-wetting approach might help too (and will certainly improve the temperature profile).

I'd say there are probably too many variables in filter coffee preparation (some of them quite subjective) to say one method is optimum.  Personally, I love my Cona vac pot (bought the day I broke my old Bodum one): consistently nice smooth coffee, lab-glassware looks, and for me pretty easy use and cleaning.  I accept others will disagree, especially about that last one.

« Reply #39 on: 06 January, 2012, 02:12:57 pm »
It certainly is subjective, and anything I post comes with a hefty YMMV caveat.

I am quite tempted by a new vac pot, but I think it might be pushing the limits of my hugely indulgent wife.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #40 on: 06 January, 2012, 02:38:58 pm »
I think I have a bodum vacuum pot.  At least, I assume it is what it is.... It's been in the box and never used since I was given it several years ago, as a christmas present.  Funnily enough I actually took it down from the top of the cupboard yesterday and gave it a dose of looking at.  Might even see what happens if I use it....

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #41 on: 06 January, 2012, 02:47:47 pm »
I think I have a bodum vacuum pot.  At least, I assume it is what it is.... It's been in the box and never used since I was given it several years ago, as a christmas present.  Funnily enough I actually took it down from the top of the cupboard yesterday and gave it a dose of looking at.  Might even see what happens if I use it....

Definitely worth a go if you like a nice clean, smooth, cup of filter coffee.  From memory:

• The documentation which came with mine suggested leaving it on the heat for a ludicrously long time after the water has gone up to the top chamber.  Something like 7 minutes, IIRC.  Obviously adjust to taste, but I'd suggest starting with rather less than that!
  • The plastic "filter" was a bit problematic, and had a tendency to clog (i.e. 90% of your coffee is stuck in the top chamber, nothing happening!).  Grinding coarser helped, but the thing did fail from time to time for no readily-apparent reason.  Don't be too discouraged if this happens.  Incidentally, I've never had this problem with my Cona, and I'm 99% sure that the Cona glass rod filter would fit in the Bodum pot...

Just give me a shout if you've got any questions about it.

« Reply #42 on: 12 January, 2012, 11:22:15 am »

I'm on my first 'Bomb' right now ... I may be some time  8)

plum

« Reply #43 on: 28 January, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »
I have an entry level Delonghi espresso maker [model 330 s I think] and it's gone on the blink, water leaking from the bit where the coffee holder clips in. Anyone had any luck getting something like this serviced?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #44 on: 28 January, 2012, 04:34:48 pm »
I have an entry level Delonghi espresso maker [model 330 s I think] and it's gone on the blink, water leaking from the bit where the coffee holder clips in. Anyone had any luck getting something like this serviced?

First thought is that it might just be some coffee grounds left on the gasket where the portafilter seats.  Careful cleaning might be all that's needed.

If not, it could be a failing gasket.  Don't know the specific model you're talking about, but they're generally quick and easy to replace.

« Reply #45 on: 28 January, 2012, 04:40:45 pm »
What Dasmoth said - new gaskets and shower screens are cheap and easy to fit IME with Rancilios.

plum

« Reply #46 on: 28 January, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »

First thought is that it might just be some coffee grounds left on the gasket where the portafilter seats.  Careful cleaning might be all that's needed.

If not, it could be a failing gasket.  Don't know the specific model you're talking about, but they're generally quick and easy to replace.
Thing is water is leaking out when the heater is on but the actual water dispenser is turned off, so there should be no water coming out of the thing whether the coffee holder [portafilter?] is in place or not. When I switch the pump on to deliver water it pours coffee and clear water comes from above, when I turn the pump off the water continues to drip out until I turn the main switch off. And I'm not talking little drips, I left it turned on the other day and it emptied the whole water reservoir over my kitchen worktop.

Not that I've written your suggestions off, I haven't looked at the thing close enough to really understand the path the water takes on its way to the cup. I've already ordered some descaler and I'll look at the gaskets first chance I get.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #47 on: 28 January, 2012, 04:54:04 pm »
That's a bit worrying.  There's probably (but can't find much hard spec information for this machine...) some kind of solenoid-controlled valve between the boiler and the grouphead, and if that's gummed open, there might be a problem.  Professional and enthusiast machines with three-way valves are designed to be backflushed (lots of information on the web about this), which -- amongst other things -- keeps the valve clean.  I'm reluctant to recommend backflushing this machine without knowing more about how it's plumbed up, though.

Do you heave a solenoid clicking when you turn the brew switch on/off?

plum

« Reply #48 on: 28 January, 2012, 05:06:31 pm »
Just tried it without the coffee holder in place. When I turn on the main power switch water starts dripping out, a drip every second or two. Continues to do so until I turn the power off. No audible clicks.

I can't imagine how it could possible be drawing water from the reservoir though, surely there's no pump in action until I actually turn it on? Maybe it just emptied its contents over the worktop when the reservoir was already very low and I imagined the rest. Sure looked like a lot of water though when I was cleaning it up.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #49 on: 28 January, 2012, 05:39:55 pm »
If there is a solenoid, it ought to click when you press the brew switch.  No click suggests either "no solenoid" or "something wrong".  If there isn't a solenoid, a few drips are probably to be expected.

Do you get more drips when it's in steaming mode?

It's possible there's a water-level sensor in the boiler and it automatically runs the pump for a few seconds when the boiler gets low.