Author Topic: YACF search  (Read 2250 times)

YACF search
« on: 12 March, 2021, 07:50:36 pm »
I'm trying to search for posts mentioning the keyword "Techalogic" and I seem to be getting unrelated results to the keyword. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Here's a snapshot of my search criteria.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: YACF search
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2021, 08:00:13 pm »
Using the YACF search.  It's terrible.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2021, 08:01:01 pm »
Try using Google site search.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2021, 08:04:50 pm »
To wit type in:
blah site:yacf.co.uk

Where 'blah' is your search term
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2021, 10:23:18 pm »
To wit type in:

Tried that using Gus's 'Techalogic' search term and it found it straight away. But oddly, when I click on the link it just takes me to the board, not the individual post or even thread.  ???
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2021, 10:24:09 pm »
But just in case it helps Gus, this the post (his) that it found:
1 result (0.22 seconds)

The Knowledge - Yet Another Cycling Forumhttps://yacf.co.uk › ... › General Category
Safety camera for commuting, Techalogic DC-1. Started by GusGF. 0 Replies 114 Views, Last post March 06, 2021, 06:10:18 pm by GusGF · 3TTT Status stem.

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2021, 11:18:50 pm »
To wit type in:

Tried that using Gus's 'Techalogic' search term and it found it straight away. But oddly, when I click on the link it just takes me to the board, not the individual post or even thread.  ???

What exactly did you find?

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2021, 11:24:55 pm »
To wit type in:

That's a great tip. Am aware of Google advanced search but like your suggestion even more  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2021, 12:30:49 am »
One of the things about the YACF Search is that it searches where you are - so if you are in Ctrl-Alt-Del, that's where it searches. If you want to search the whole site, click Home first.

It still won't search very well....
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 13 March, 2021, 12:40:40 am »
YACF's Advanced Search is better than just typing your search term into the box up there //// but can still be deeply suXX0r.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #10 on: 13 March, 2021, 03:33:28 pm »
Putting Techalogic in the YACF Advanced Search box with GusGF in the user box returns.. your post from 6 March!
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=118600.msg2600091#msg2600091

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 13 March, 2021, 06:00:27 pm »
To wit type in:

That's a great tip. Am aware of Google advanced search but like your suggestion even more  :thumbsup:

I find it really useful for searching for recipes on the Guardian website :D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #12 on: 13 March, 2021, 11:49:17 pm »
It's difficult to answer without knowing for sure what you expected to find. YACF site search worked for me and found the 6 March thread. It didn't find this thread - I wonder whether the index doesn't get updated instantly? You can specify which categories to search in an expansible box below the search terms.

Where there's debate is over what a search should do when it's found the direct hits. Techalogic is a weird word. If a search is looking for near misses, it may come up with rather random results. Again, to have a good discussion of search, I think you'd need a number of examples with more typical words, and some indication of your expected results in each case.

One odd effect can be that Google uses its huge database of content to learn about similar words. So even if you pointed Google at just this site, you wouldn't necessarily get the best results, because there wouldn't be the same base of content to learn from. Whereas the Google trick above uses the whole Google index, and then filters it.

« Reply #13 on: 20 March, 2021, 12:15:16 am »
The non-advanced search box does some bizarre stuff.

For example, if you are in Ctr-Alt-Del, and do a search for firestick (was trying to think of something to search for that wouldn't have many hits), it comes back with thirty pages. Only one of those has text in the search results page with firestick highlighted in orange. From what I can see, the other pages returned have absolutely nothing in them that refers to firestick and are completely random. Any clues as to why it returns what it does? Other than being a bit rubbish!

« Reply #14 on: 24 March, 2021, 05:33:43 pm »
I checked, and advanced search gets the same results, with default settings, as basic search. So you can look at advanced to see what settings it's using. However, it doesn't help much in answering your question.

I tried searching for "gkrsvyelm" which is, (at least as far as I know!), a meaningless string. I still got loads of results, but obviously none where I could see why they were included, except that one or two contained other meaningless strings (perhaps being the words most like my string). So I'm pretty sure the relevance search does its best to find something close, whatever you enter.

If you search "fire stick", i.e. with a space, you do get results that make a basic kind of sense, i.e. they contain both words, reasonably close together, albeit they concern fires and sticks as opposed to Amazon products. Pure speculation, but it appears to do better at relevance if it's dealing with common words, which would give it a larger set of records to go at. Whereas I tried "pecking", as in "pecking order", as something that might appear only once or twice, and got equally strange results as for "firestick". Actually Google suggests that "pecking" is significantly more common than "firestick" in YACF.

If you search "Amazon firestick" then results for Amazon overwhelm those for firestick. I think that, somehow, the search does better with words that are common in the forum. It may simply be faiing to index some threads. But it may even set to discount words that occur less than N times (or N+1 in the case of a cycling forum). It may also not recognise that "firestick" and "fire stick" may be closely-related strings, instead treating words as quite separate because one is not an obvious stem of the other.

These are more vague and speculative musings than answers, sorry.

« Reply #15 on: 24 March, 2021, 10:07:18 pm »
To wit type in:

It's found the post title on the board at the time when the post was current, rather than the post itself.
You can go to the cached version of the board and find the post there.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2021, 10:18:05 pm »
SMF search is rubbish.  Use Google with "site:yacf.co.uk" in the search string.  I knew there was a reason we let their spuders in.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #17 on: 25 March, 2021, 03:47:42 pm »
Ah so it's not just me.
Yesterday I wanted to refind the Brucey thread, amazingly not only did it not find the thread, it didn't find a single post by him.

Must remember google can search the forum.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk