Author Topic: Bagman on B17  (Read 1288 times)

Bagman on B17
« on: 08 May, 2021, 02:08:26 pm »
Hi,

After a couple of years using the carradice classic rack I decided to try a bagman sport.  Mainly because I often catch my leg on the bag when mounting and need a second attempt because it sits higher than the saddle.   

Today I have fittted the bagman sport, and to my surprise find that it's not a very good fit on the Brooks B17.  I had assumed it would be ideal, surely the B17 is the target market?  I can't see that I've made any mistake in the fitting, but let me know if I have.

As you can see from the pictures the bracket only has one possible position.  The quick releases presses up against the rear end of the rails, and the bracket cannot go any further back because the rail bends at that point.  I only just managed to fit the saddle back on the seatpost too, the seatpost bracket only just fists on the remaining rails, so I have no choice about the fore-aft position now.  Thankfully it seems to suit my position well enough once I swapped the 110 stem for 100.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3yRuih6yEd8o2SrX9

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Bagman on B17
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2021, 06:47:53 pm »
You have fitted it correctly, but something isn’t quite right. In your third picture the bracket looks a bit angled and/askew. You do sometimes have to manoeuvre the bracket a bit while tightening so that it settles into the right spot before the last turn or two of the bolt. I’d suggest loosening the bolt a little (until there’s a bit of movement) and seeing if some manipulation encourages the bracket to settle into a position that allows you to tighten it up a bit straighter.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2021, 08:38:54 pm »
The problem is twofold:

1. Brooks saddles have shorter rails than most
2. You don't ride with much setback

Possible solutions are:

1. A different saddle with longer rails (you may need Cyclo bag loops, as few other saddles have them built in)
2. An SQR, which clamps to the seatpost instead.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2021, 08:57:45 pm »
Surely with a Bagman you don't actually need loops on the saddle?

I'd also say the angle of the top part of the Bagman doesn't look right, but I'm not sure why.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2021, 09:16:35 pm »
The Bagman still uses the loops, although the third strap goes around the Bagman rather than the seatpost.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2021, 09:32:24 pm »
The Bagman still uses the loops, although the third strap goes around the Bagman rather than the seatpost.
Not that QR version.
It is tight, the QR top plate always pretty much touches the rails on a B17 and depending on your post clamp they may simply be incompatible. A different post or saddle might be a different story.
See this photo
https://eadn-wc04-3021648.nxedge.io/cdn/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/bb114add8f8c42253ad20ee00d9aeeaa/a/l/all_2.jpg

If you can do away withthe QR feature, a standard bracket (Using the bag loops) will fit batter, I have the necessary part kicking about if you want it.

Paul

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2021, 10:22:33 am »
I think it’s a combination of the replies. The bagman doesn’t look properly seated when the saddle is attached to the seat pin. This could be because:

a) the saddle is too far forward on the pin which means there isn’t enough rail left for the bagman to clamp on to properly, or;
b) the clamp on the pin is taking up too much of the rails.

If it’s a), you need to slide the saddle back (which I think you’ve already done, hence the new stem).
If it’s b) you need either a different saddle, a different seat pin or a different method of carrying your saddle bag.

Paul

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2021, 10:27:53 am »
Or you might be able to file some of the bagman and/or seat pin clamps where they touch (assuming they do). You might be lucky and find that the metal on one or other is not critical. It looks as though you wouldn’t need to remove very much to get the right fit, but you would probably void any warranty by doing so.

« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2021, 08:00:39 pm »
Filed down the pars of both my Bagman QR clamps so that they can cope with the rails as they flare out towards the saddle top (I have a Sport, plus on my other bike just the QR - that hovers above a pannier rack).

Works fine.  There is a lot of metal on the Bagman clamps that can be filed off without compromising its strength or integrity.

« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2021, 09:53:24 pm »
 Bagman construction is  'industrial'

« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2021, 09:21:43 am »
if your legs are long enough to keep the bag off the rear wheel, or you have a rear mudguard, an SQR system is a great investment. You can swap bags between bikes (I've got a little'un for day rides and a big'un for weekends or shopping) and quickly take them off when you go to the cafe.