Author Topic: Any bright ideas? - fraudulent online sales using my address  (Read 1023 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Probably not likely, but anyone got a good way of stopping someone using my address to 'sell' stuff online using my home address as the 'collection' point?

Short story - a couple came around a couple of weeks back looking to collect the 'garden table' we had for sale.  They showed me a chat thread online somewhere where they were clearly given our postcode and house number.  We apologised and told them it was nothing to do with us.
Thought not much of it until tonight when I arrived home on my bike to discover a lady standing outside my house with a tablet in hand looking confused.  When I enquired if I could help she showed me a chat thread on something like facebook messenger - same thing as before only this time a 'wooden shoe rack'. again postcode and house number were ours.

I've tried a google of our house address and postcode and found not much.  I did ask her to show me which website but there was a language barrier and I didn't really feel like insisting on a forensic look at her private tablet.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Re: Any bright ideas? - fraudulent online sales using my address
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2019, 07:43:09 pm »
I would start by informing the police. I'm not sure if what they are doing is actually illegal but there's probably a dodgy reason behind it

caerau

« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2019, 07:51:35 pm »
True, but I should probably caveat this a little - I don't know that they're actually selling - it could be a freecycle type thing and they've just made a mistake with the address - I shall ask the next person if money exchanged hands if I can.

I don't really doubt it's dodgy as heck but without full knowledge that it is fraudulent for sure, I suspect the police will be as interested as I am in dressage.

I had to cancel my MasterCard and get a new one recently due to a fraudulent transaction, I do worry a little about id theft on this one...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:27:39 pm »
Do you have any ebay or other online selling accounts? If so, check they've not been subverted.

caerau

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:29:15 pm »
I have sold three things on Ebay in my life I think - and that's it.  I shall take a look though - good shout  :thumbsup: