Author Topic: Gently Bentley 200k - 2019- Surbiton  (Read 3019 times)

Gently Bentley 200k - 2019- Surbiton
« on: 13 March, 2018, 11:18:25 am »
Surprised this hasn't had a mention yet.  This is my first audax since my aborted LEL and the start of my 3rd attempt at an SR series.

Looking forward to it, judging by the weather forecast might be a bit nippy at the start.  This is the first ride of Kingston Wheelers SR series.  Hoping to complete them all but lets see.

Anybody else?

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
Re: Gently Bentley 200k - 18/03/18 - Surbiton
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2018, 12:31:46 pm »
Well, there must be somebody else as the event was already fully subscribed when I tried to enter!  :'(

It looks a very fine route, so I'm a bit envious of those who got in. I'll try to be more proactive next year. Hope you enjoy it Dominic :thumbsup:
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2018, 02:36:58 pm »
I'm in. Just thought it polite to wait for the organisers to start the thread.

A few days ago it looked like this would be in sunny spring weather, but now looking like yet another frozen winter ride.

I'm aiming for my first SR this year and, after hearing rumours of rides filling up, have already entered the full KW series.

« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2018, 05:00:10 pm »
I'll be there

« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2018, 07:53:12 pm »
Sarah doesn't have a YACF account.  Given the expected weather, she is allowing entry on the line as we expect there will be a reasonably high number of DNS.  Just turn up and we'll do our best to get you entered once we know we have enough Brevet cards.  Entry was closed a few hours early when we reached our 150 rider limit.  Sarah did update the calendar event a few weeks ago stating that entry may close early if the ride filled up.

For those who don't make it round this one, we have the Rowlands RAAAmble in September which counts towards the Kingston Wheeler SR series.  I'm not sure what the rider numbers are for the Amesbury Amble and Dauntsey Dawdle but I do know that the Wander Wye is almost full.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:13:22 pm »
Damn, I was really looking forward to this one, but have gone down with another bad cold / virus on returning from Spain, so it's looking uncertain whether I'll make it along. Will have to see on the day. So much for audaxers having a better immune system... :(
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:53:04 pm »
Sarah and I have deliberated long and hard on whether we should cancel this ride on a/c of the weather forecast and potential for ice on the roads.

We have decided it will go ahead on Sunday as planned, but riders who don't want to take the risk can ride any time in 30 days after Sunday, as a perm. You must turn up on Sunday to collect your brevet cards, even if you intend to ride as perm.  Any cards not collected by 8.15am will be available for EOL riders.

Sarah will be sending full details soon to all riders by email.

The weather forecast has further deteriorated since my earlier post, and is showing amber warnings for both Saturday and Sunday, so the event is very regrettably CANCELLED.

There will be a perm option. Sarah will email full details out to riders later this evening.

« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2018, 06:20:32 pm »
Shame, thanks for the prompt decision and update.  Look forward to the rest of the Kingston Wheelers rides.

Gently Bentley 200k - 18/03/18 - Surbiton **CANCELLED **
« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2018, 09:31:14 pm »
I am doing Gently Bentley as a perm next Tuesday 17th around 8am if anyone else yet to do theirs. Weather forecast is on for VERY good.

Re: Gently Bentley 200k - 18/03/18 - Surbiton **CANCELLED **
« Reply #10 on: 16 April, 2018, 10:24:42 pm »
I did this today. It’s a lovely ride.
Skip the food at Lasham Gliding Club and head to the garden centre.
Also, ignore the road closed signs after passing the Black Swan at Ockham and crossing the M25. You can get through it. The road is a bit muddy but the flood water has gone.
Have a great day

Gently Bentley 200k - 18/03/18 - Surbiton **CANCELLED **
« Reply #11 on: 10 March, 2019, 09:37:32 am »
I can’t find a new thread but I’ve checked my emails, can’t find anything right now but just checking if there is a car park option?

Edit: sorted out a plan.

Re: Gently Bentley 200k - 18/03/18 - Surbiton **CANCELLED **
« Reply #12 on: 10 March, 2019, 08:35:45 pm »
I can’t find a new thread but I’ve checked my emails, can’t find anything right now but just checking if there is a car park option?
Edit: sorted out a plan.

Dan the organiser will email riders with all this kind of info along with route sheet and GPX in the next few days. Helpers rode the route today...bit blustery, with hail to finish...hopefully that will all be gone by next week... :thumbsup:

Re: Gently Bentley 200k - 2019- Surbiton
« Reply #13 on: 11 March, 2019, 08:28:25 am »
This thread closed

new thread here for 2019 event

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111354.0