Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3903823 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23675 on: 11 July, 2020, 05:58:34 pm »
Out from my place in darkest Susssex with my Chum the Czeating Czech. Up to Leith Hill then picked up the route of the Surrey Hilly Fifty of fond memory. Many cyclists out, only one shite driver as far as I recall. Coffee and cake on top of Ranmore Common, then over to and up Box Hill, which was Very Busy. Achieved something near R17 coming down Pebble Hill. Flatter after that to get home and a pint of foaming ale in the Sex Oak topped the day off. 80km or so.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23676 on: 11 July, 2020, 10:35:57 pm »
The second day of my camping tour, I left Middleton in Teesdale at 8.30 and arrived in Dufton 11 and a half hours later a broken man. Though a pint at the Stag worked wonders.

The intervening time was about 9 miles of cycling, 15 miles of hike-a-bike and a couple of miles a mix of the two. Fabulous views down Scordale (which is the next-but-one valley south from High Cup and of a similar nature, facing across the Eden Valley to the Lakeland Fells from the western side of the Pennines), slight shame about the route error which meant I had to drag myself and my bike down a precipice next to a waterfall.

More of the same tomorrow, though hopefully with better-chosen tracks.

« Reply #23677 on: 11 July, 2020, 10:47:36 pm »
Yes!

54 miles and I reckon I could have comfortably(ish) done 100k. I'm tired but not spent but I set off late and needed to get home for dinner. Which I inhaled.

Contact points are a bit sore and my left ankle was sore before I started from my recent running.

Unfortunately my left foot is the one I rest on at junctions and the like so the twisting the ankle to release the pedal and then propping up on the ball of my foot has exacerbated that a bit. Suspect it'll be stiff/sore tomorrow.

But that's the first time I've done more than 50 miles in a day since 21st June 2019. And htat was three separate rides with a BBQ between #2 & #3. I haven't done 100km since October 2018. So I'm aiming for 100+ by the end of the month. But not tomorrow. Tomorrow will be lazy lazy.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #23678 on: 12 July, 2020, 08:27:00 am »
Yes!

54 miles and I reckon I could have comfortably(ish) done 100k. I'm tired but not spent but I set off late and needed to get home for dinner. Which I inhaled.

Contact points are a bit sore and my left ankle was sore before I started from my recent running.

Unfortunately my left foot is the one I rest on at junctions and the like so the twisting the ankle to release the pedal and then propping up on the ball of my foot has exacerbated that a bit. Suspect it'll be stiff/sore tomorrow.

But that's the first time I've done more than 50 miles in a day since 21st June 2019. And htat was three separate rides with a BBQ between #2 & #3. I haven't done 100km since October 2018. So I'm aiming for 100+ by the end of the month. But not tomorrow. Tomorrow will be lazy lazy.

You might already have done this, but if you can, turning the release setting on your pedal to minimum could help.
If you’ve got several pairs of shoes, ones with the most worn cleats may be a help as well.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #23679 on: 12 July, 2020, 04:20:38 pm »
Did some hills today, went over the downs to Froyle, then Frensham and Rushmoor to go up to Hindhead for the first time this year.  I didn't try any of the cafes but took Fernden Lane and Quell Lane to go up Bexleyhill.  The Garmin was trying to tell me it was 29% at the top, but I know it is only 18%.  It's still steep.  The contractors working for SSE let me through the roadworks west of Milland which gave me a run at four hills in a row (Hawkley, Empshott, Newton Valence, and Four Marks) before heading home to a very welcome cup of tea.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #23680 on: 12 July, 2020, 06:11:41 pm »
Yes!

You might already have done this, but if you can, turning the release setting on your pedal to minimum could help.
If you’ve got several pairs of shoes, ones with the most worn cleats may be a help as well.
I think the pedals are at their loosest but I did replace them at some point so will check.

The cleats are fairly worn, in fact with a roll and jerk I can pop out so probably don't want to go any looser on the pedals.

It's normally ok even on long rides if I've been riding a lot. I think it's largely a lack of being used to it along with my new uptake of running.

Will keep an eye on it and see.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23681 on: 12 July, 2020, 06:40:08 pm »
Cafe run.  We were on fixies and caught and passed all the MAMILs (and some younger ones) on their carbon bikes.  One pair caught us after some red lights but, after soft-pedalling behind them for a couple of miles, we left them again.  Average speed was Very High.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23682 on: 12 July, 2020, 08:39:47 pm »
Tilebagging expedition up the west side of Coventry.  Somebody's tarmacced the Kenilworth Brownway (yay!) and installed new Silly Sustrans Gates™ (boo!) since I last used it.

bairn again

« Reply #23683 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:10:04 pm »
My first ride in July after a 1000 mile June. 

Myself and Sandra took the tandem up to Kinrossie just north of Perth and did a lovely 62km loop losely based on Scone The Flat Way audax.    Parked up at the village hall which has much room. 

Cracking day out, al fresco ice creams were taken at Meigle 42km joining the berry pickers in the seated area near the shop (we were too late in setting off to catch the joinery café open.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/52389348

« Reply #23684 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:14:04 pm »
Our first haul on to the top of the South Downs this year. Up Streat Hill, left to Blackcap, then a crazy descent down to East Chiltington and back to the van. Stunning. I'd forgotten how magical it is up there, and how lucky we are having access to it.

One puncture on one bike, the first time i've encountered through axles in the flesh. Other members of the party had no idea how to get it off (including the owner).

We met a chap at one field boundary who we thought was going to be a grumpy farmer, but his opening line was "Have you seen a pair of peacocks anywhere ?" Cue a 10 minute chat about peacocks, the local pheasantery, the gorgeousness of the day, when his roof had been tiled, etc etc.

Delighted to report I can still get up Streat Hill in one hit in my middle ring - I was rather worried the lack of commuting miles had knocked my condition a bit.
Rust never sleeps

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23685 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:19:51 pm »
150k on essex lanes, what a fine day for it! now trying to figure out what the purple flower plants are.

« Reply #23686 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:29:06 pm »
Flax ?
Rust never sleeps

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #23687 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:39:49 pm »
Yes, yes I have. Cycled along the Stroudwater canal path from Eastington to Chalford and back. Apparently my first ride for three years. Very much enjoyed it.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #23688 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:43:57 pm »
150k on essex lanes, what a fine day for it! now trying to figure out what the purple flower plants are.

Probably Borage.

« Reply #23689 on: 13 July, 2020, 07:22:40 am »
45 miles out to Dinton Pastures and back via Knole Hill and ncn4 then south of maidenhead through bray. Lovely warm sunshine and light winds made a very pleasant Potter on the sun ez3  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #23690 on: 13 July, 2020, 08:23:13 am »
Looks like borage to me too

« Reply #23691 on: 13 July, 2020, 10:37:04 am »
Myself and Sandra took the tandem up to Kinrossie just north of Perth and did a lovely 62km loop losely based on Scone The Flat Way audax.    Parked up at the village hall which has much room. 

Will add that to our to do list of day rides.  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23692 on: 13 July, 2020, 03:22:06 pm »
Looks like borage to me too

i've come to that conclusion too, thanks for the suggestions. initially while searching for (purple flower field) images i dismissed borage as it seemed a different shade of blue/purple. but it could be due to lighting, blooming season, time of day etc.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23693 on: 14 July, 2020, 02:07:06 pm »
A painful 38k, after a week of tectonic shift problems. Legs didn't want to work. New shorts didn't help; the shape of Assos Mille doesn't seem to suit me and it felt as if I were fighting elastic all the way round.

Lots of holiday-makers about, to judge by the ones on the cycle track who just stare when you say "bonjour". Must be city-wights, all thinking "what did he mean by that?"  Was glad to turn off and climb a hill, even if it did hurt.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23694 on: 14 July, 2020, 03:48:53 pm »
111km yesterday from Burton to Stafford over Cannock and then back. Felt wonderful after weight loss.
Weather cool but mainly dry.
Great to be out

« Reply #23695 on: 14 July, 2020, 07:35:27 pm »
A gentle bimble around Rutland water in the company of Mrs Miggins. She rode my Ice sprint whilst I used Sonder fatty. A pit stop was taken at the Horse and Jockey for their excellent roast beef with eye watering horseradish baguettes. Splendid!!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23696 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:21:17 pm »
Drove to Malvern to meet a friend and then a ride around in a large-ish loop to Upton-on-Severn - back to Malvern and tea, scone, jam & cream sitting outside at a little cafe.  A pleasant tootle.

« Reply #23697 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:39:03 pm »
Well I decided to investigate a potential shortcut to the campsite for tomorrow. Over a mile of pushing the bike, nearly fell over several times, smacked my ankle with a pedal three times, stinging nettle up one shin, and a wasp down my jersey that I nearly slapped thinking it was a fly at first.

And then it started raining!

Twas great  ;D

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #23698 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:53:44 pm »
Nipped in to Richmond Park to celebrate the re-opening of the 'eastern roads'.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23699 on: 14 July, 2020, 10:58:41 pm »
More tilebagging in the badlands of the north.  I brought the wrong shoes for the COR section.  (I also brought the wrong bike for the COR section.)