Author Topic: DIY Audaxes For Dummies  (Read 9512 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
DIY Audaxes For Dummies
« on: 05 January, 2011, 03:29:48 pm »
This year I fancy having a go at devising and riding some DIY audaxes as I like route planning and need a new challenge.  I know that you can use a GPS track to prove where you've been but I would like to collect ATM receipts etc as its nice and old school.

Is there a step-by-step guide to explain how I go about things?  I have had a shufty but nothing is jumping out at me.  Or does someone fancy tapping out some words of wisdom?

Love un stuff  :-*

Re: DIY Audaxes For Dummies
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2011, 03:37:01 pm »
Links to various useful threads in this one:-

How Do I ... DIY'S
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2011, 03:37:27 pm »
Have you browsed the FAQs at the top of the audax/cyclosportive board?  There's a section on DIYs which might well answer your needs. If there's anything not covered, a specific question here will, I'm sure, provide at least 20 mutually contradictory responses!

edit - beaten to it by Greenbank.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »
Smashing, thanks.  I will have a careful read.

« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2011, 04:43:45 pm »
You might wish to read my text as well - http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/diy

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2011, 09:00:26 pm »
OK, I'm a bit confused.  Do I have to get in touch with my local organiser (Zoom) and get a brevet card before the ride?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2011, 09:07:21 pm »
Another question: one route I have in mind is home (Essex) to my parents (West Sussex) via fun bits of London.  I could make this route 150km.  Is this distance acceptable or are the allowed graduations 100, 200, 400, 600km?

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2011, 09:39:29 pm »
Do I have to get in touch with my local organiser (Zoom) and get a brevet card before the ride?
In the immediate absence of aforesaid Zoom - who might be along in a minute anyway -  it would be a good idea to get in touch with him in any case - I've always found him knowledgeable and helpful and for your first time it'd be an idea to get any advice from him.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:50:57 pm »
Another question: one route I have in mind is home (Essex) to my parents (West Sussex) via fun bits of London.  I could make this route 150km.  Is this distance acceptable or are the allowed graduations 100, 200, 400, 600km?

yes a 150km is allowed  :) I think I've had this request before as a 150km ride is a vital part of at least one AUK award (as well as an accepted calendar and perm distance)

however 250 350 etc will only get rounded down to the next 100; it's to do with rationalising the number of perm distances that need to be defined on the website.

HTH

« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:24:42 pm »
And yes, you do need to obtain a brevet card, virrtual or other, before you ride.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2011, 06:44:52 am »
OK, thanks chaps for the advice.  So, for the sake of the hard of thinking (that's me folks) the sequence of events I need to follow are:

1. Rejoin AUK
2. Contact Zoom for a few brevet cards (send SAE)
3. Devise my route(s) ensuring that the shortest distance between controls (every 60km) adds up to the desired distance (one can use Google maps set to walking to check this)
4. After the ride send signed brevets with ATM receipts etc to Zoom with SAE
5. Zoom sends back validated brevet (assuming I haven't cocked the ride up) - BINGO

One final question: Zoom, please can you PM me your address and the cost of half a dozen brevets?

What have I missed out?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2011, 07:10:39 am »
Sorry, just thought of something else.  What are the time limits for DIY Audaxes?

Chris N

« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2011, 08:28:04 am »
One final question: Zoom, please can you PM me your address and the cost of half a dozen brevets?

What have I missed out?

Looking on the AUK website? ;)

DIY PERMANENT SERIES (south east organiser) 200

Sorry, just thought of something else.  What are the time limits for DIY Audaxes?

From the AUK Handbook:
5.7 Speeds: events shall be run within maximum and minimum overall speeds and riders checked through a series of controls which have predetermined opening and closing times and which must be published in the brevet card for calendared events.
(i) The minimum speeds may not be altered and shall be:
for events up to 699km - within the range 14.3 to 15kph;
for events from 700 to 1299 km - 13.3kph;
for events from 1300 to 1899 km - 12kph;
for events from 1900 to 2499 km - 10kph; and
for events over 2499 km, 200 km per day.
http://www.aukweb.net/handbook/handbook.pdf

Oscar's dad

« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2011, 08:34:29 am »
^^^  Brilliant, thanks!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 06 January, 2011, 08:37:35 am »
OK, thanks chaps for the advice.  So, for the sake of the hard of thinking (that's me folks) the sequence of events I need to follow are:

1. Rejoin AUK UK
2. Contact Zoom for a few brevet cards (send SAE)
3. Devise my route(s) ensuring that the shortest distance between controls (every 60km) adds up to the desired distance (one can use Google maps set to walking to check this)
4. After the ride send signed brevets with ATM receipts etc to Zoom with SAE
5. Zoom sends back validated brevet (assuming I haven't cocked the ride up) - BINGO

What have I missed out?
I think you've missed out telling him when you will ride. (Step 3.5?)
If you just buy the one brevet card online, you state your planned date at that stage - simple.

If you buy mulitiple cards, you'll need to submit an entry form for each ride, and should notify the org if you postpone.

[see other threads for discussion of the various subtle variations that can crop up on this theme!]

For completeness, I'll ask the other FAQ:

If I submit a route which is confirmed as 230km min distance between controls, how much time do I get?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oscar's dad

« Reply #15 on: 06 January, 2011, 09:37:47 am »
How do I buy a brevet card on-line?

« Reply #16 on: 06 January, 2011, 09:44:45 am »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17 on: 06 January, 2011, 09:48:22 am »
You chaps are the best  :thumbsup:

I shall be rejoining AUK later today.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #18 on: 06 January, 2011, 10:29:44 am »
Suggest that to check distance*/plan route you actually use via Michelin set to bicycle as that's what Martin will use.  Thus you won't be caught out by subtle differences between the two (already discussed ad nauseam in some other thread).

*Official distance is of course shortest route between the controls you specify, regardless of what route you actually take.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #19 on: 06 January, 2011, 10:51:55 am »
Just had a look at ViaMichelin as I have not used it before - looks good, thanks for the tip.

I have now joined AUK UK, ordered a couple of OS maps and am happily contemplating devising, entering, riding and completing my first 150km DIY audax.  I think I will aim for April.  Exciting stuff!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #20 on: 07 January, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »
Having said I want to do it in the old school way and collect ATM receipts I have just been reading up on doing DIYs by GPS.  Sounds good!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #21 on: 08 January, 2011, 09:29:42 pm »
If you do use Via Michelin, be aware it doesn't allow many intermediate points.  It's no biggy - you just need to split the ride up - I did it one pair of controls at a time and added them all up at the end myself.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #22 on: 08 January, 2011, 10:39:35 pm »
If its a Brevet Populaire (ie less than 200km), the speeds can be relaxed to less than the Brevet Randonneur speeds. I'm not sure if there's actually any limit on the minimum speed, but you should agree it with the organiser before the ride. There's plenty BP events with 10km/h minimum, so that should be fine if you want.

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 09 January, 2011, 12:46:20 am »

For completeness, I'll ask the other FAQ:

If I submit a route which is confirmed as 230km min distance between controls, how much time do I get?

You'll get just over 16hrs  (14hrs for the basic 200 and another 2 hrs plus a bit more for the extra 30 based on a minimum average of 14.3kph)

It will however go down as a 200 in the results for simplicity.

HTH  :)

Sorry, just thought of something else.  What are the time limits for DIY Audaxes?
If its a Brevet Populaire (ie less than 200km), the speeds can be relaxed to less than the Brevet Randonneur speeds. I'm not sure if there's actually any limit on the minimum speed, but you should agree it with the organiser before the ride. There's plenty BP events with 10km/h minimum, so that should be fine if you want.

the short answer is I'm not sure; all DIY's whether by card or GPS use a standard minimum of 14.3kph. I know a calendar Populaire and some shorter perms can have it reduced but should I be allowed to reduce it on DIY's for some riders and not for others?

and the GPS validation software will not accept speeds below this, it will just say you are out of time.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #24 on: 09 January, 2011, 07:08:07 pm »
I think any Populaire Permanent it's perfectly reasonable to just say 'a day' though obviously as Organiser it's up to you.  (The validation software may need a tweak in a future version.)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll