Author Topic: Marmalade  (Read 72120 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Marmalade
« Reply #50 on: 15 February, 2011, 03:23:59 pm »
I don't think it has an 'r'...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #51 on: 15 February, 2011, 03:32:24 pm »
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #52 on: 15 February, 2011, 05:42:53 pm »
It's OK in an emergency, but although the tin is labelled as Seville oranges, marmalade made from it doesn't seem to have the bite that my recipe does.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #53 on: 04 April, 2011, 11:02:11 am »

Remember - Seville oranges are only available for a short time in January. they freeze well for user throughout the year.

I made a batch of three-fruit marmalade on Saturday:  substitute for Seville oranges a similar weight of:

Lemons (I used 4)
Grapefruit (I used 2)
Ordinary oranges (I used 3)

... all of which came to just over 1.5kg; I reduced the sugar to ~2.5kg, all of which made 9 (standard 1lb) jars. 

Really good - even Dr RJ approves, which means we can make marmalade all year round without needing to freeze Sevilles ...  :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #54 on: 29 January, 2012, 04:07:33 pm »
Finally got round to making some marmalade this weekend. I used a recipe for Oxford marmalade I found online - I like my marmalade dark and not too sweet. I notice Wowbagger's recipe upthread uses 2 parts sugar to 1 part oranges but the recipe I used requires a 1:1 ratio. In fact, I had two 1kg bags of Demerara sugar and a bit over 2kg of oranges, to which I added two lemons, so there was more fruit than sugar.

I'm pretty pleased with the results, though there are a couple of things I'll do differently next time. I cut the peel a little on the chunky side, even for my tastes, and I could have let the initial boiling in water stage go on a bit longer - the peel could have been a bit more tender.

Very happy with the flavour, though - my preferred shop-bought brand is Frank Cooper's, which is pretty tangy compared to most brands, but even that tastes rather sweet next to my version. (I might use a wee bit more sugar next time to knock off the slightly astringent aftertaste.)

I have another couple of kilos of oranges to make another batch, and the local greengrocer has plenty in stock at a good price at the moment, so I'll probably get some more and freeze them. I stuck to a plain recipe this time, but I'll probably experiment with some other flavourings for the next lot - a bit of ginger, apples, maybe some grapefruit, a splash of whisky...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #55 on: 29 January, 2012, 05:00:33 pm »
Sounds good but a relatively low sugar content might make this more likely to go mouldy. Refrigerate and eat fast!

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #56 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »
Where the bloody hel do you buy Seville oranges?   :-\ ??? :-[
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #57 on: 29 January, 2012, 09:23:38 pm »

Our local green grocer had them a coupe of weeks ago

border-rider

« Reply #58 on: 29 January, 2012, 09:25:40 pm »
They were in the supermarket last week. Mrs MV got hers from  Riverford. They do seem to have a short season though

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #59 on: 29 January, 2012, 09:27:35 pm »
\
Waitrose had them, at a price, last week. The greengrocer in Rochford had them at a much more reasonable price the week before. I haven't bought any yet, but we've still got a load in the freezer from previous years.

« Reply #60 on: 29 January, 2012, 09:36:12 pm »
The place I had lunch today, http://www.rootsfarmshop.co.uk/ was selling Seville oranges for marmalade.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #61 on: 02 February, 2012, 12:14:52 pm »
I have just put 6lb of oranges on to boil.

I was going to go out to find some Sevilles at a knock-down price but when I searched the freezer thoroughly I discovered that we'd got about 20lb squirrelled away from previous years.

I'm short of sugar so a Waitrose trip is in order anyway. I'd better check on the jar situation. It looks as though we've got loads.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #62 on: 02 February, 2012, 12:16:07 pm »
I'm not a big fan of marmalade, but I put some in my porridge at Kildale on Sunday morning, and it was very good, Mr Bagger :)
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #63 on: 02 February, 2012, 12:20:25 pm »
Sounds good but a relatively low sugar content might make this more likely to go mouldy. Refrigerate and eat fast!

Good point, thanks. The jars are well sealed but I'll keep them in the fridge to be on the safe side. And there's no danger that they won't be eaten quickly!

d.

citoyen

« Reply #64 on: 02 February, 2012, 12:25:01 pm »
\
Waitrose had them, at a price, last week. The greengrocer in Rochford had them at a much more reasonable price the week before. I haven't bought any yet, but we've still got a load in the freezer from previous years.

They were £2.39/kg in Waitrose round here, or 85p/lb (£1.87/kg) in the greengrocer's on the high street.

d.

noisycrank

• twitter @noisycrank
« Reply #65 on: 02 February, 2012, 03:01:19 pm »
Marmalade.

Marvellous.

And all because we didn't know what to do with these strange fruits! Or so I've heard, but can't find a reference to it now, that when seville oranges were introduced to Britain, people found them too bitter to eat raw and didn't think to peel them before cooking.

I am sure I have been told that orange marmalade was invented in dundee as a way of using something that turned up there on a boat that no one was sure what to do about.

"Popular folklore decrees that John Keiller, a retired merchant, was one day walking through the harbour area in Dundee and came across a Spanish ship which had arrived in the port to seek shelter from a storm. From this ship he is said to have bought a quantity of Seville oranges and taken them home to his wife, who used these unfamiliar ingredients to make an orange preserve – but somewhere in the process something went amiss and she ended up with what we know today as marmalade."

It seems to be a bit more complicated than that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/work/scotland/perth_tayside/article_2.shtml
If you don't like my haircut you can suck my socks!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #66 on: 02 February, 2012, 06:04:57 pm »
I have a local lady who makes very good Seville marmalade for me, but if I wanted to do it myself, how could I do even better, ie stronger and perhaps a little more bitter?  Any other ways other than using more peel and less sugar?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #67 on: 03 February, 2012, 12:22:20 am »
I have a local lady who makes very good Seville marmalade for me, but if I wanted to do it myself, how could I do even better, ie stronger and perhaps a little more bitter?  Any other ways other than using more peel and less sugar?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8902.msg161263#msg161263 refers. This is the best marmalade I've ever tasted, and I've just made 1% of a tonne of it!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #68 on: 03 February, 2012, 12:38:43 am »
Ah, lemons.  Fanx.

« Reply #69 on: 05 February, 2012, 12:15:40 pm »

1kg oranges, 750g lemons.

I'm starting another batch tonight and that'll be straight oranges but with crystallised ginger thrown in with the sugar.

I'm particularly fond of tablespoons of marmalade stirred into yoghurt or fromage frais.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #70 on: 06 February, 2012, 09:32:50 pm »
Marmalade.

Marvellous.

And all because we didn't know what to do with these strange fruits! Or so I've heard, but can't find a reference to it now, that when seville oranges were introduced to Britain, people found them too bitter to eat raw and didn't think to peel them before cooking.

I am sure I have been told that orange marmalade was invented in dundee as a way of using something that turned up there on a boat that no one was sure what to do about.

"Popular folklore decrees that John Keiller, a retired merchant, was one day walking through the harbour area in Dundee and came across a Spanish ship which had arrived in the port to seek shelter from a storm. From this ship he is said to have bought a quantity of Seville oranges and taken them home to his wife, who used these unfamiliar ingredients to make an orange preserve – but somewhere in the process something went amiss and she ended up with what we know today as marmalade."

It seems to be a bit more complicated than that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/work/scotland/perth_tayside/article_2.shtml
Whatever the truth about marmalade's origins, it's interesting how exotic ingredients get used in completely different ways from those in their native area and then become an essential part of their new home's cuisine - potatoes being the most obvious example.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #71 on: 05 May, 2012, 10:40:00 pm »
Following on from one yesterday, just about to jar up another batch of three-fruit marmalade (ordinary oranges; lemons; grapefruit).  This might plug a home-made-Seville gap that seems inevitable, if our current rate of consumption continues.

« Reply #72 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:28:38 am »
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #73 on: 24 November, 2012, 10:40:05 am »
I now have 6lb of Seville oranges on the stove. The only ones left in the freezer are those I bought this year.

By the end of today I should have about 24lb of finest marmalade.

« Reply #74 on: 03 December, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »
Just out of interest do tangerines make good marmalade? I ask because there are loads on sale around here and I might just be tempted to have a go? I can buy limes but lemons are more difficult.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"