Author Topic: Glyph in Twitter name  (Read 1878 times)

Glyph in Twitter name
« on: 06 January, 2021, 09:04:54 pm »
 ???

How do I add a small symbol (not an emoji) to my Twitter handle?

Copy and paste from an existing tweet doesn’t work  in “edit profile. Saving the image of the glyph produces a file with the extension .svg.

I am clearly missing something obvious.

ian

Re: Glyph in Twitter name
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:22:10 pm »
Unicode, I assume, would work.

▲►▼◀︎

ETA: see this for more information.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:45:08 pm »
Alternatively, you could not bother, and make life that little bit easier for screenreader users and those reading in ASCII.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:51:05 pm »
What sort of symbol? Are you sure its not an emoji?
Try looking it up on Emojipedia. Can copy and paste from there. https://emojipedia.org/

« Reply #4 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:54:47 pm »
Alternatively, you could not bother, and make life that little bit easier for screenreader users and those reading in ASCII.

Fair.

I am not normally given to using them but I would’ve added the NHS blue heart if I’d known how. I can use the hashtag if the urge persists. Right now, I’m more in a “fuck blue hearts, stay in your houses” mood.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:57:09 pm »
the NHS blue heart

*googles*

Ah, I'm about 105% certain that isn't [Yet - Ed] a unicode character.  Which is why you can't add it.  Usernames have to be text.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:57:53 pm »

Is it true the Artist Formerly Known as Prince was killed by a cadre of annoyed blind assassins in a Dan Brown stylee?

ian

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2021, 09:59:01 pm »
the NHS blue heart

*googles*

Ah, I'm about 105% certain that isn't a unicode character.  Which is why you can't add it.  Usernames have to be text.

💙

« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2021, 10:02:59 pm »
Usernames have to be text.

Ah - ok. Thanks.

I see there is indeed a blue heart in MacOS emojis and symbols, but it’s not the same blue heart.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2021, 10:05:06 pm »
Usernames have to be text.

Ah - ok. Thanks.

I see there is indeed a blue heart in MacOS emojis and symbols, but it’s not the same blue heart.

Yeah, that's an emoji.  It's a text character.  💙

From some cursory googling, the unicode consortium (quite sensibly, IMHO) don't permit private symbols to be added to the character set.  Which is why we don't have a Coco-Cola emjoi, or an Apple logo[1], or that Prince thing.  The NHS logo would appear to fall foul of the same rule.

[1] Unicode define Private Use Areas where developers are allowed to do what they like with the code points without conflicting with officially assigned characters.  There's an Apple logo in there.  If you're on an Apple system.  Other OSes are free to use it for a CDC character or whatever.

« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2021, 10:06:52 pm »

Twitter substitutes emojis for its own glyphs, which is also why you can't copy them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2021, 10:18:46 pm »

Twitter substitutes emojis for its own glyphs, which is also why you can't copy them.

Ugh, why?  Is that an xkcd://927 thing, or do they have a proper reason?

« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2021, 10:41:36 pm »

Probably some sort of brand consistency across platforms type reason.

Also it means seeing the newest coolest raddest emojis isn't dependent on having an iPhone receiving system updates.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13 on: 07 January, 2021, 02:57:36 pm »

I guessed that was the xkcd standards one. Looked, had it confirmed and cheered.

I need to get out more (for my daily excercise, staying within my local arera, obvs).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)