Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627644 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5500 on: 23 November, 2014, 05:31:23 pm »
Bad cat. Again. Her latest attempt at flight resulted in a nice tendon-deep gash on her back leg (the blood everywhere is another grumble). Now she's supposed to wear a collar to stop her picking at the stitches. That's not working out. Her attempts to remove said collar have included:

• pushing head into collection of wires behind computer before yowling and pulling everything out
  • pushing head into collection of wires behind TV before yowling and pulling everything out
  • wedging head between chair back and dining table and then flinging her body off the side before yowling loudly for rescue
  • running backwards around and around the living room / bed room / bathroom / hallway dragging said collar along walls and floors while yowling
  • attempting to reverse downstairs in the hope that the steps will pull it free with predictable bump bump bump yowl results
  • generally knocking everything over, she clambered on a kitchen counter and went through everything like a feline snow plough. While yowling

Anyway, she's going to kill herself so I took it off (according the German locum vet we saw yesterday that 'was very unauthorised') so now I'm supposed to sit around and supervise her otherwise I expect a knock on the door from the very stern teutonic vet. And no, cat, you're not going outside (the rain, at least, is conspiring to dissuade her). Also those collars. Seriously, the fastening, did anyone involved in the design of such thing contemplate that threading an awkward strip of plastic through several slots while holding a wriggly creature that is 90% bitey scratchy is a bit difficult? Surely some kind of stud fastening would have been a million times easier.

Other cat. It's raining. I know. It's not something I can control so stop looking at me like it's my fault you won't go outside.

Cat one sounds quite funny, and get its logic.  If your near London I will quite happily cat annoy.

And cat two is right, as a servant how dare you not control the weather cat has cat stuff to do....

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5501 on: 23 November, 2014, 05:42:03 pm »
Bloody hell.  The gannets on that David Attenborough thing have just been reunited with much beak-bashing and cuddling.  Add a bit of background music and that's me all sniffly.

"Their lifelong bond will help them face the last chapter of life together".

Lucky bastard gannets.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5502 on: 24 November, 2014, 02:00:58 pm »
OK, Homebase, riddle me this.

A ready-made ten metre TV aerial cable costs a tenner (or at least it would if you had any in stock).  So how much do you want for ten metres of co-ax?

Thirteen quid ???

B&Q, by the way, will sell you twenty-five metres of co-ax for as near as makes no odds the same price.  Homebase, Nectar points notwithstanding, can therefore go and take a flying wossname at a brick wall.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5503 on: 25 November, 2014, 08:45:53 pm »
Look, I know that none of us owns the bike rack we have, for the sake of convenience, left our best lock on: I myself have sometimes put my bike on a rack with someone else's lock on it when the one I usually use is occupied.

But you have been locking yours in the space next to mine for a good six months, right through the summer when the bike shed was snided. So why, suddenly, have you started to use the rack I normally use, where my lock hangs, despite the fact that (because it's gone a bit cold the bikes have thinned out) the parking pickings are now better, and the space you've been using happily for the last 6 months is completely free?

If the plan was to mess with my head then you've succeeded.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #5504 on: 26 November, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »
Isn't leaving a lok on  bike rack similar to leaving a towel on a sun lounger?  :P
Meanwhile, younger guy, why to you need such an enormous suitcase when you are only away for 1 week.  The sort tht is too big to strap to the back of the bike.  What's that, it's embarrassing turning up at school with your mum.  Oh, I see, and the case is actually half empty. Well, you could have taken the smaller case by yourself, no?
Why is neighbour's child's mum acceptable and your own isn't????  :'(
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #5505 on: 27 November, 2014, 08:54:43 am »
I should have gone to Sandhurst. Then I would have been taught correct Kitchen procedure:

!. make tea in usual fashion
2. chuck used teaspoon on worktop
c. take biscuit (note. DO NOT REPLACE LID ON TIN)
iv. walk off leaving open milk bottle on worktop and fridge door wide open

I was first one in this morning and that's what I found in the kitchen (and not for the first time either)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5506 on: 27 November, 2014, 09:21:13 am »
I should have gone to Sandhurst. Then I would have been taught correct Kitchen procedure:

!. make tea in usual fashion
2. chuck used teaspoon on worktop
c. take biscuit (note. DO NOT REPLACE LID ON TIN)
iv. walk off leaving open milk bottle on worktop and fridge door wide open

I was first one in this morning and that's what I found in the kitchen (and not for the first time either)

I can verify your findings, Mrs T's cousin has recently passed out of Sandhurst and they are his tea making SOPs, providing he can't find a lacky to make tea for him, that is!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5507 on: 27 November, 2014, 10:04:07 am »
Yeah.  Don't think my Uncle (seriously senior officer (retd)) has any idea how tea is made.
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5508 on: 27 November, 2014, 11:16:18 am »
For balance inna-BBC-stylee Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) has a good handle on the whole tea and biscuits thing.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #5509 on: 27 November, 2014, 01:00:54 pm »
Would he like the MOD to pay him £550+ per day to be RMAS Beverage Consultant?
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5510 on: 27 November, 2014, 01:51:20 pm »
My (bolted back together) arm is hurting again, and a bit swollen. No idea what I've done to it. Starting to get rather irritated by it now :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5511 on: 27 November, 2014, 02:03:53 pm »
My (bolted back together) arm is hurting again, and a bit swollen. No idea what I've done to it. Starting to get rather irritated by it now :(

You have had a broken bone in what is now Cold Weather.
Welcome to winter!

Get medical advice if arm gets significantly red, tender or leaks.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5512 on: 27 November, 2014, 02:48:44 pm »

You have had a broken bone in what is now Cold Weather.
Welcome to winter!

Get medical advice if arm gets significantly red, tender or leaks.

It's doing none one of those.

What I can't understand is that it isn't any colder/wetter or windier than it has been for the last week or so up here, so why has it chosen to start complaining now?

(I don't expect an answer, this is just a grumble)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5513 on: 27 November, 2014, 03:21:16 pm »
Ah, you will now be able to predict the weather like us old duffers.

Previously injured joints and bones will respond to pressure changes; allowing you to predict that the weather is about to change due to a new front coming through.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5514 on: 27 November, 2014, 03:48:23 pm »
I went grovelling around in the loft on Monday, fer crissakes, and my thighs still feel like they did the morning after the Surrey Hills ???

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #5515 on: 27 November, 2014, 04:22:56 pm »
Bloody hell.  The gannets on that David Attenborough thing have just been reunited with much beak-bashing and cuddling.  Add a bit of background music and that's me all sniffly.

Lucky bastard gannets.

Hugs.... (know what you mean....)
Wombat

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5516 on: 27 November, 2014, 09:02:56 pm »
Hip - chunter chunter grr.

Triggered by traipsing around the arse end of Birmingham between Dental Hospital and Snow Hell stations (all of 10 mins walk) as that's the least painful way of getting taxi back to the office. Last time we waited 40 mins for a nonexistant taxi and ended up traipsing anyway - can't believe they don't have a fucking taxi rank signposted from Dental and Children's hospitals!  I couldn't find the staff to direct me cos they've swipelocked all the academic corridors and have no "hello attention!" buzzers.

Thankfully it was me torturing dentists not the other way round Bwahahaha!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5517 on: 27 November, 2014, 10:44:35 pm »

Lucky bastard gannets.

Hugs.... (know what you mean....)

Hugs are good  :)
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #5518 on: 27 November, 2014, 10:57:12 pm »
Grrrrrrr. I'm having to take time off work and sit/lie on a couch doing nothing.  >:(

I have so much to do, but something as little as lifting a bottle of milk from the fridge can leave me in pain for several minutes.   :(

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5519 on: 28 November, 2014, 07:02:36 am »
Pets at Home, if you're going to send me emails pimping your Black Friday sales, at least make sure your website is working.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5520 on: 28 November, 2014, 12:56:40 pm »
Pets at Home, if you're going to send me emails pimping your Black Friday sales, at least make sure your website is working.
ALL Shops: If you're going to have 'Black Friday' sales, fuck off out of the UK!
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5521 on: 28 November, 2014, 01:07:57 pm »
I'm open to 10% off cat litter when the chance arises. Unfortunately the payment page took so long to load I lost interest and did some work instead.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #5522 on: 28 November, 2014, 02:51:44 pm »
ALL Shops: If you're going to have 'Black Friday' sales, fuck off out of the UK!

And if you really can't seem to manage that - get some proper security staff rather than wasting taxpayers money and police time when a riot starts in your shop when people are grabbing all they can to sell on Ebay an hour later for slightly more than they paid in the shop and slightly less than the shop will offer it to me on Saturday
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5523 on: 30 November, 2014, 02:27:54 pm »
LG Anbaricks, if you are to put the manual for your The Product on a CD please make it readable in the small but perfectly-formed portable wossname that sometimes plugs into my lapdog.  Furthermore, it would be useful if you were to make a search on your webby SCIENCE for the actual model number actually written on the actual box and on the back of the actual The Product find the manual in question.

Also, it is an anbaric distascope.  I can tell because it has sockets on the back for aerial and SCART leads.  And a built-in AD tuner.  Why you choose to hide the manual under "Monitors" Bog alone knows.  Idiots.

« Reply #5524 on: 30 November, 2014, 10:11:10 pm »
Got home from dropping Miss Moltonaught the Junior off at a school play rehearsal to discover the nearside front brake caliper on the little red truck had seized on - cue red hot brake disc :o

Funny the car hadn't been pulling at all!

Not a rant because such events come with running an older car...  nic given that it passed the mot a few weeks ago with flying colours...

Still, I've found a pair of new good quality (Pagid) discs on eBay for £11! Just need to work out which of the 2 possible caliper designs it is and find some cheap good quality pads...

Ho Hum...

I think the truck realised we're about to sell it  :(    :facepalm: much as we love it - having a two seater isn't the most sensible car for family of 5! no matter ho good the bike carrying abilities....

not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller