Author Topic: Midhurst 600  (Read 35297 times)

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
Re: Midhurst 600
« Reply #25 on: 01 May, 2008, 03:50:38 pm »
........... Luxury! (somebody had to)  ;D
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

LEE

« Reply #26 on: 02 May, 2008, 06:23:24 pm »
I'm going to regret saying this but the overall gradient of this ride isn't too bad.

Yes, it gets 'gnarly' in some areas but 6202 metres in 600km overall isn't too bad.
(Allow for plotting/rounding errors in Fugawi Maps).

The distance is another thing, I'm not used to riding distances like this but I'm used to average gradients worse that this.  Having said that it's worse than the Denmead 300km I just completed.

frere yacker

« Reply #27 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:56:01 pm »
Ooo, that is flat.  Suspect this will be my crack at a fixed 600  :thumbsup:

LEE

« Reply #28 on: 03 May, 2008, 12:41:59 am »
I'm going to regret saying this but the overall gradient of this ride isn't too bad.

Yes, it gets 'gnarly' in some areas but 6202 metres in 600km overall isn't too bad.
(Allow for plotting/rounding errors in Fugawi Maps).

The distance is another thing, I'm not used to riding distances like this but I'm used to average gradients worse that this.  Having said that it's worse than the Denmead 300km I just completed.

To put it in perspective the equivalent 600km climbing for the following events would be

Watership Down 100 (1423m) * 6 = 8538 metres
Denmead 300 (2821m) *2 = 5642 metres
Faccombe Haul 100 (1960m) * 6 = 11760 metres
Denmead Mince pie 100 (1259m) * 6 = 7554 metres

All based on Fugawi stats so they should be consistently accurate or innacurate.

The highest point on the ride seems to be about 324 metres, 4km south of Talgarth.  This is only 50 metres higher than the roads near me on the Newbury Downs (Combe Gibbet) so it's not like I'll need oxygen either.

It's just those damn miles and the sleep thing.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #29 on: 03 May, 2008, 06:42:28 am »

Lee, you're plenty fast enough to build up a time budget for sleep and it looks like we are at a services around the 400k mark which is about 19-22 hours riding for the average paced rider.

I see there is a Travelodge there....

H

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 03 May, 2008, 09:32:21 am »

Lee, you're plenty fast enough to build up a time budget for sleep and it looks like we are at a services around the 400k mark which is about 19-22 hours riding for the average paced rider.

I see there is a Travelodge there....

H

No room at the (Magor Travelodge) Inn I'm afraid

Hummers

« Reply #31 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:38:46 pm »
Oh well, we can snuggle up together by the Dunkn Donuts.

H

LEE

« Reply #32 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:27:59 pm »

H

I hope that Dunkin Donuts isn't a Euphemism

« Reply #33 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:29:29 pm »

H

I hope that Dunkin Donuts isn't a Euphemism

Quote of the day  ;D ;D ;D
#makewattsnotwar

Martin

« Reply #34 on: 09 May, 2008, 01:20:07 am »
There's someone on the AUK list asking for pointers for cheap accomodation in Midhurst
(thinks; fluffy duvets, stone's throw)

LEE

« Reply #35 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:59:18 am »
ROLL CALL

1) LEE
2) Hummers
3) ?

frere yacker

« Reply #36 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:09:52 pm »
1) LEE
2) Hummers
3) ?

Frere Yacker

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #37 on: 12 May, 2008, 02:18:35 pm »

ROLL CALL

1) LEE
2) Hummers
3) Frere Yacker
4) Cyklisten

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #38 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:32:31 pm »
Me too.  Bit of a shorter list than last year.

Dave

Martin

« Reply #39 on: 12 May, 2008, 03:48:35 pm »

Dave

were you riding yesterday?; I passed Cyclisten near Fletching (something I have done before) thinking he was out on a DIY, forgetting that he was using El Supremo's #1 (of 2) routes back to Hailsham. Even the sight of Bob McHardy on his contraption shortly afterwards did not jolt my memory.

LEE

« Reply #40 on: 12 May, 2008, 05:33:51 pm »
OK, just leave the Lanterne Rouge at the start and I'll attach it to my bike with some cable-ties.  I can't see anyone else needing it.

Currently it seems like the Hotels around the Severn Crossings are all booked solid.

This review site of Magor Services doesn't fill me with much hope
Magor

I guess me and Hummers will keep looking for accomodation or maybe just end up trying to make the most of the World's worst motorway services at 3am.

Anyone got any tips for accomodation around Newport/Magor/Chepstow area ?

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #41 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:35:29 pm »

Dave

were you riding yesterday?; I passed Cyclisten near Fletching (something I have done before) thinking he was out on a DIY, forgetting that he was using El Supremo's #1 (of 2) routes back to Hailsham. Even the sight of Bob McHardy on his contraption shortly afterwards did not jolt my memory.

Yes.  Lovely to be out in the sunshine.  When the weather is like that, thats when you know why you go cycling. 

I tried to hang on to Chris Tracy and Mark Fairweather at the start.   It was a good fast first 200.   The legs are a bit sore today though.

Dave

border-rider

« Reply #42 on: 12 May, 2008, 06:42:40 pm »
Cor, a different DaveJ

I must remember it's you and not t'other one ;)

Hummers

« Reply #43 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:33:52 pm »

ROLL CALL

1) LEE
2) Hummers
3) Frere Yacker
4) Cyklisten
5) Postie

Martin

« Reply #44 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:37:46 pm »

Dave

Yes.  Lovely to be out in the sunshine.  When the weather is like that, thats when you know why you go cycling. 

I tried to hang on to Chris Tracy and Mark Fairweather at the start.   It was a good fast first 200.   The legs are a bit sore today though.

Never hang onto Chris; the only way to slow him down is either do a DIY or promise him food at your Mum's and make sure he doesn't know where she lives  ;)

The most common phrase I heard on PBP after "Bonne Courage" was "See ya Chris" on every hill from Richard T.

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #45 on: 13 May, 2008, 08:35:30 am »
I passed Cyclisten near Fletching (something I have done before)

Yes .... we'll have to stop meeting like that. People will talk!  ;D    That Richard Phipps fella has spies everywhere!

To be honest I thought I had seen you earlier in the ride (can't think where) when somebody shouted across from within a group (yellow & green livery) but you were in a different shirt at Fletching (I think)

T'was a good ride with a classic 'sleep debt' episode on the way home. I'll knock out a report later but for now I need to go and play with Elvis, who apparently has been spotted in Harrogate! 

LEE

« Reply #46 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:31:54 am »
OK all you experienced 600ers.

Give me some hints and tips on getting thru a 600 when there's no obvious means of getting a comfortable few hours in a hotel.

Am I entering a world of bivvy-bags?

« Reply #47 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:37:55 am »
Take John Spooner with you as your guide to AUK-approved bus stops.  ;) :thumbsup:

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #48 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:39:43 am »
hardly experienced ... I did my first (and only) last year

funny you should say that ... I'm considering a Vaud bivi as we speak. Last years 'sleep' for me was about 3hrs upright (slumped) in a chair - not recommended. The wooden bus shelters near Winchester (not much further down the road) would have been a better option
edit: That said, they were all occupied!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:06:20 am »

Give me some hints and tips on getting thru a 600 when there's no obvious means of getting a comfortable few hours in a hotel.

It's quite possible to get through with cat-naps at every warm+dry place you find from 18hours into the ride onwards. Once you are really tired, your beans on toast will seem like a comfy warm place to rest your head. (I prefer having a 'proper' stop, but I know now that I don't actually NEED it on a 600).

What really helps is getting your sleep debt down before the ride. I NEVER manage this - either I get to bed too late, or I sleep somewhere ridiculous the night before, or .... somehow I always screw this up.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles