Pickled eggs. Well?

Yes!
38 (53.5%)
No!
15 (21.1%)
I've never lived
18 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Pickled eggs!  (Read 14413 times)

Re: Pickled eggs!
« Reply #25 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:07:07 pm »
I'm also a fan of the pickled egg.

But where did all the Scampi Fries go? We had them in the union bar at uni, and now...nothing. I bloody love them.

Mind you, a few months ago the bloke was playing a darts tournament in the Uni of London union bar, and he returned after I'd gone to bed. Something rustly landed on my half-asleep head. It was an unopened packet of Scampi Fries just for me. Who says romance is dead?!

« Reply #26 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:54:26 am »
Scampi Fries?

Mrs Nutty is a fan.   And recently she brought home a big multi-pack bag.  I'll try and remember to ask her where she got them from (no response at the moment :D  dead to the world beside me ;D)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #27 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:14:57 pm »
Pickled eggses  :-* Nom nom nom  :P :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:46:42 pm »
Scampi Fries?

Mrs Nutty is a fan.   And recently she brought home a big multi-pack bag.  I'll try and remember to ask her where she got them from (no response at the moment :D  dead to the world beside me ;D)

A big multi-pack bag?!

You MUST find out from where she procured these...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #29 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:50:26 pm »
I was disappointed, when on the IoW ride, to find the Fulbourn Inn didn't do pork scratchings which are, of course, the work of tthe little Baby Jesus!

A pub is no good without pork scratchings!   :hand:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #30 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:52:12 pm »
A pickled egg "in" a packet of pork scratchings! Now there's a thought for the weekend.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #31 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:53:23 pm »

Just for you, I googled Scampi Fries and THIS was the first return - knock yourself out!

We're going to need to rename this thread, 'Pickled eggs! And other pub snacks...' 

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #32 on: 15 May, 2008, 05:18:42 pm »
Valiant, you need to eat your pickled egg with crisps

How do you eat pickled eggs with crisps?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #33 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:36:52 pm »
Valiant, you need to eat your pickled egg with crisps

How do you eat pickled eggs with crisps?
I got the impression that the egg is placed into the crisp bag and then broken up by squeezing the bag. Eat by tipping bag into mouth. I stand to be corrected on this though.

« Reply #34 on: 16 May, 2008, 10:34:23 am »
Scampi Fries?

A big multi-pack bag?!

Not that big :(    just 3 bags of scampi-fries, and 3 bags of bacon ones :thumbsup: ;D  (like those old Frazzles,  with red and white stripes ;D my favourite :thumbsup: :thumbsup:).  Purchased in Morrisons.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #35 on: 06 June, 2008, 07:36:40 am »
I had a pickled egg last night, very nice.  Unfortunately the pub me and Twinkle Toes visited on our ride didn't sell them so my egg had to come from the chip shop.  I did ask Susan the pub landlady if she would consider stocking pickled eggs.  She wasn't keen and I won't hold it against her.

I will spare readers of a delicate disposition the consequences of a fastish 20 mile tandem ride, two pints of real ale and a fish supper with egg on the side.  Suffice to say one's wife voiced a couple of notes of disquiet.  How expensive is it to get drains rodded?  I'd like to know just in case  ;D

My own pickled eggs are pickling nicely.  They have been in the jar a month now.  I will give them a month longer.  The seem to have gone brown. I think this is because there is a cinnamon stick in there as well which has swelled up.  It has obviously absorbed a good deal of vinegar.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #36 on: 28 July, 2008, 05:12:03 pm »
On the recent Essex Pub Ride pickled eggs featured significantly in our earnest discussions so I decided to have a go at pickling my own (eggs that is).

The picture below shows the results.  I have only done half a dozen eggs, I didn’t have a big enough old jar for more.

I got the methodology off the interweb and invented my own recipe.  The vinegar (which you boil, simmer for 10 minutes then cool) has a cinnamon stick, pepper corns, garlic, golden and maple syrup, sugar, chives and basil in it.  I sieved the cooled liquor, and poured it over the eggs in the jar.  I added fresh garlic cloves, the cinnamon stick and fresh basil and chives.  The jar is now in the fridge maturing.  I’m not sure how long I will leave it, a couple of weeks perhaps?

I afraid I have a disappointment to report. 

I have just opened the above pictured jar of homemade pickled eggs, they have been pickling for over two months.  And pickled they were!  Judging by the lack of smell they weren't off but the pickling had gone right through the white to the yoke which wasn't discoloured.  Because of the most effective pickling the eggs had a strong taste of vinegar and weren't very palatable.  Unfortunately they are now in the wheelie bin, wrapped in two plastic bags.

Not sure what to do next.  Is this the end of my egg pickling career?  Suggestions?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #37 on: 28 July, 2008, 05:19:57 pm »
Take two fresh eggs.

Break them into a basin. Whisk with a fork.

Put a little milk and butter into a saucepan. Melt the butter over a low heat. When it is melted, add the whisked eggs, turn the heat up and stir continually with a spatula, scraping any congealed egg from the bottom of the pan until the egg has set to a light consistency. Ensure that the egg does not burn.

Add salt and pepper to taste, or possible some chives.

Eat while still steaming.

Throw your recipe for pickled eggs in the bin.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #38 on: 28 July, 2008, 05:25:52 pm »
Take two fresh eggs.

Break them into a basin. Whisk with a fork.

Put a little milk and butter into a saucepan. Melt the butter over a low heat. When it is melted, add the whisked eggs, turn the heat up and stir continually with a spatula, scraping any congealed egg from the bottom of the pan until the egg has set to a light consistency. Ensure that the egg does not burn.

Add salt and pepper to taste, or possible some chives.

Eat while still steaming.

Throw your recipe for pickled eggs in the bin.

I don't think you're helping old chap  ;D 

I can already make scrambled eggs, I was hoping to learn another egg related skill.  As someone with an educational bent I'm would have thought you would be more supportive!  ::-)

« Reply #39 on: 28 July, 2008, 05:35:07 pm »
Nutty's famous eggs.

put about 5mm of water in the bottom of the frying pan, along with a big knob of butter.  Bring to the boil.

Crack eggs into the pan, slowly pouring them to allow the heat to set the white instead of them going everywhere.  After about 30 seconds to a minute, turn off heat and put lid on frying pan.

Butter the toast (which has been cooking and should have popped out of the toaster at this precise minute).

Place the bacon on the toast (did I mention that the bacon is on the griddle and should just be finished at this point?)

Take lid off frying pan and you will have the perfect eggs there.  Lovely whites, and a bright yellow yolk which is pretty much solidified so it won't run.  They look exactly like the "fried egg" sweets you can buy.

Place egg on bacon and cover with a slice of buttered toast (you did butter two slices earlier didn't you?)

Enjoy.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #40 on: 28 July, 2008, 06:59:30 pm »
Runny eggs FTW!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #41 on: 28 July, 2008, 08:32:04 pm »
I have just opened the above pictured jar of homemade pickled eggs, they have been pickling for over two months.  And pickled they were!  Judging by the lack of smell they weren't off but the pickling had gone right through the white to the yoke which wasn't discoloured.  Because of the most effective pickling the eggs had a strong taste of vinegar and weren't very palatable.  Unfortunately they are now in the wheelie bin, wrapped in two plastic bags.

Not sure what to do next.  Is this the end of my egg pickling career?  Suggestions?

Perhaps I'm being dim but isn't a strong taste of vinegar to be expected after pickling anything?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #42 on: 29 July, 2008, 01:08:44 am »
I buy pickled eggs in a jar from Sainsburys. They just taste like boiled eggs after you've put a shedload of salad cream on them.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #43 on: 29 July, 2008, 08:10:59 am »

Perhaps I'm being dim but isn't a strong taste of vinegar to be expected after pickling anything?

I take your point.  I effect I was after was a taste of vinegar and a taste of egg.  All I got was the vinegar. 

Several people have pointed out that you can now buy pickled eggs in supermarkets.  I thought they were only available in pubs and chip shops.  I might buy a jar or two to see what sort of competition I'm up against and pick up some tips.

« Reply #44 on: 16 May, 2009, 10:17:08 pm »
I was inspired to have a go after reading this thread last year.

It took me a while to get round to it but a couple of weeks ago I got hold of a large glass jar FOC and went and bought three dozen eggs.

I forgot to check back here for recipe advice but looked on the interweb for recipes and then did what I thought might work instead.

Paprika, Flaked Chillies, Ginger, Cayenne Pepper, Brown Sugar, Worcestershire sauce, a mixed bag of peppercorns, Smoked salt, Balsamic vinegar  mixed in with the white vinegar and then boiled and cooled.

I've just tried one and it was good enough to make me fancy another right now  :thumbsup:

I don't know what you connoisseurs would make of them but I think they're quite good.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #45 on: 17 May, 2009, 08:15:27 am »
I was inspired to have a go after reading this thread last year.

It took me a while to get round to it but a couple of weeks ago I got hold of a large glass jar FOC and went and bought three dozen eggs.

I forgot to check back here for recipe advice but looked on the interweb for recipes and then did what I thought might work instead.

Paprika, Flaked Chillies, Ginger, Cayenne Pepper, Brown Sugar, Worcestershire sauce, a mixed bag of peppercorns, Smoked salt, Balsamic vinegar  mixed in with the white vinegar and then boiled and cooled.

I've just tried one and it was good enough to make me fancy another right now  :thumbsup:

I don't know what you connoisseurs would make of them but I think they're quite good.

You had a good deal more success than me.  How long did you pickle them for?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #46 on: 17 May, 2009, 09:02:39 am »
My local hostelry of choice does pickled eggs. The jar is labelled "Armin's Ass Rippers" - Armin being the erstwhile landlord (his son runs the place now). They're great. He puts lots of chilli in the mix.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #47 on: 17 May, 2009, 10:09:20 am »

They've been done 10 days now. The recipes on the interweb ranged from 2 days to a month in how long to leave them.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #48 on: 17 May, 2009, 02:46:39 pm »
I do enjoy a pickled egg, though I only ever eat them in (or at least from) a chip shop.
Try here Pickled Eggs - Egg Pub - A website about pickled eggs in pubs

I reckon we need a London Pickled Egg ride before the summer's much older.
When I clicked on that link, I got an ad at the side saying "Extend your fertility by freezing your unfertilised eggs" which was slightly disturbing in the context!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #49 on: 17 May, 2009, 05:44:02 pm »

They've been done 10 days now. The recipes on the interweb ranged from 2 days to a month in how long to leave them.

Excellent, you have inspired me to have another go.  I think I pickled my eggs for too long, probably two weeks is enough.