Author Topic: Adam Jones  (Read 1719 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Adam Jones
« on: 23 January, 2015, 10:34:33 pm »
Has he retired from international rugby?

Given that he's younger than some of my children he's the nearest thing I currently have to a "childhood hero"*. I have loved watching him play the game and observing his development from an OK prop forward, but nothing special, when he first appeared on the international scene, to a feared opponent, amongst the world's best.

For me, his best performance was during Wales's 30-3 victory over England to win the 6 nations a couple of years ago.

*Steve Abraham apart, obv.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Adam Jones
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2015, 10:40:05 pm »
Nope, still available for selection but not as mobile around the park as the new generation.

Still a monster scrummager and big tackler and carrier, but he has to get to where the action is.  He's worked really hard this season and was knocking in the door but the all-things-considered selection decision went in favour of the youngsters. 

« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2015, 12:50:11 am »
A tremendous player.  It emphasises just how divorced from reality Rugby Union has become when you realise that Adam is a 6 footer, yet he looks like a midget on the pitch, such is the advance of steroids or force-feeding in the modern game.  I've taught a couple of promising Lancashire Lads, who've had representative selections but who will stay in club rugby because they were not prepared to "beef up".

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2015, 11:07:39 am »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2015, 01:11:26 am »
I'm possibly not going to be too popular with this but .... I've never rated Adam Jones!!

I don't think he is a great scrummager, in the purest form.  His great strength was in the big hit at scrum time [in the "crouch, touch, pause .... ENGAGE!!!" days], if he got it wrong he was straight to the ground to start again!   

He was never the most mobile of props and the newer scrummage laws don't suit him.

Having said that he was the perfect prop for the laws as they stood when he was playing international rugby which meant that he deserved the plethora of caps that he won!

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #5 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:03:36 pm »
Then again, it is a perennial argument as to whether modern props would survive under the old rules against the likes of the Viet Gwent.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #6 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:11:23 pm »
Then again, it is a perennial argument as to whether modern props would survive under the old rules against the likes of the Viet Gwent.

Some would, some wouldn't.  And vice versa! 

Different era, different game!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2015, 10:21:40 am »
Exactly.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i