Author Topic: Final fiddling threw up problems: Number 1 & 2 & battery mounting  (Read 1957 times)

The seat position interferes with the under seat rack:

With panniers on they don't interfere with pedalling but feet off the pedals pokey out bits of tube stick in my thighs. May be unavoidable if seat cannot come further forward (see Final fiddling threw up problems: Number1)

I would like to put my battery under the main boom for reasons of lowdown weight (3.3kg) is better than high up weight.
TerraCycle do a natty alloy construction of Bacchetta specific frame clamp, a generic dangly bit and a generic horizontal plate for the battery and its shoe to bolt to. TerraCycle tell me I can shuffle it about on the frame so that it will not interfere with my under seat rack and panniers (they haven't seen my current arrangement of those items). I'd have to buy from Icletta in Germany and it costs 129 euros. It isn't in stock and would take a month, or so, to arrive.

Can I make my own using the TerraCycle under seat rack as a component?
I have piece of 5mm aluminium plate that I could drill holes in so that it fits between the two sides of the rack and sits on top of the cross tube to which it would be fastened by P clips. The down tubing each side would fit in the holes in the plate to stop it rotating.
A second piece of plate would be bolted to the first at right angles (fore and aft under the boom) and the battery shoe would be fastened to that.
The under seat rack is held together by M5 allen screws and the weight of the battery would be shared by the two sides of the rack.

I have a bench drill, files, taps, dies, accurate ways to measure and a good vice to hand.

Cycleman suggested asking here because Kim, Wobbly John and others are well versed in dark side bodges. This might have been where he suggested a trailer.
Any comments, criticisms, alternative ideas or other clever dickery to avoid my cycling along with my battery bouncing along the road on the end of its lead would be much appreciated.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Final fiddling threw up problems: Number 1 & 2 & battery mounting
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2019, 06:28:34 pm »
Will that setup keep it away from the chain-run? I notice it passes through that area.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2019, 09:06:13 pm »
Will that setup keep it away from the chain-run? I notice it passes through that area.

Thanks for replying.
Yes, the top of the battery can be lower than the chain but the battery can also be well to the left of the chain.
Thinking about it, it wouldn't be hard to fabricate a shield between battery and chain.

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:55:52 am »
Battery mounting plate in place:

I tried to mount my second battery alongside the main one but having Wobbly John's comment in mind I checked for chain clearance and it was too tight to take a chance.
I've put a bottle cage there and will use it for my puncture kit. I may need to upgrade the tyre from Marathon Original to marathon Tour plus now that I have mentioned puncture twice.

Cycleman, in one of his rare flashes of inspiration, suggested some extra stays to hold the tray. I may go for that and finish shaping the tray once they are installed.

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:16:11 pm »
Looking good.

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2019, 08:48:46 pm »
Thank you :)

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2019, 08:38:41 am »
Bought a Terracycle sidebar for my HPV Scorpion. Overpriced and crap paintjob. Terra-ble, hoho

« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2019, 05:18:03 pm »
Bought a Terracycle sidebar for my HPV Scorpion. Overpriced and crap paintjob. Terra-ble, hoho
:D