Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889402 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1125 on: 27 July, 2008, 11:07:33 am »
A fine ride, Jurek! Next time you fancy a bit of that, give us a shout.

Indeed it was - and I was keeping an eye out for you - but next time we plan that one, I'll certainly give you a call.

Yesterday was no good for me as it happens - I cycled to sis-in-law's 60th party where I ate too much and consumed more red wine and cold lager than was good for me. The ride home was dehydrating in the extreme, but a damned good day!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #1126 on: 27 July, 2008, 11:48:18 am »
Got out of work at 8.00 this morning and rode down to Limehouse and had a relaxing spin along the Isle of Dogs Thames Path.

« Reply #1127 on: 27 July, 2008, 12:16:15 pm »
35 miles with Mrs Mike last night which was v. good - new record speed for her :)

then a 30 mile blast with the local tri club this morning during which I very nearly melted.  Am now at home rehydrating furiously.

Pete

« Reply #1128 on: 27 July, 2008, 02:55:17 pm »
Well, I knocked back my first 50* of the year this morning, I suppose something to be chuffed about: it even had a decent bit of - er, let's call it "not-horizontal" - in it!  And at the moment my legs are telling me they don't love me for doing this to them, but my back, bum, etc. have kept quiet.  It was bl**dy hot, almost road-melting hotness in a few places.  Now that's something we haven't seen for a few years...!

And I had to get off and walk for about fifty yards.  I forgot that this little bit of road doesn't join up: obvious when you look closely at Streetmap, but easy to overlook when you're consulting a grubby OS 1:50,000 at the roadside.  The joining bit is a length of rough gravel, fine for MTBs but I didn't want to risk it.  I've been caught out at that self-same road before.  :-[

And another thing: how fast is a combine 'arvester meant to be able to go? (cue: "ooohhh aaarrrrrr"s everyone!).  There I was sweeping along a narrow country lane (helped by a gentle downslope) at a nice steady 21mph or so, and there was Farmer Giles up behind me and drafting me, making his intentions perfectly obvious.  FFS, he took up the entire width of the road, god only knows how he proposed to get past me! (or deal with anyone coming the other way).  I let him get past me after we'd both turned onto a wider main road and it was now slightly uphill for me.  Not without some trepidation as his steering was decidedly wobbly.  It's not all cement trucks and bendy-buses!

*miles of course!

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #1129 on: 27 July, 2008, 05:32:06 pm »
Yep

Did the London to Cambridge charity ride...Bloody hot..poured an entire pint of water over my self when I got to Cambridge.  Felt seriously sorry for all the bods in non cycling gear doing it on BSO's.  I wonder how many packed ?

Extended ride by carrying on to home the long way round.  87 Miles for the day, and on Skip Bike as well  :thumbsup:

Maladict

« Reply #1130 on: 27 July, 2008, 06:04:42 pm »
It is hot today.  Not quite as hot as 32 deg C when arriving at Ickleton, one year, when doing C->L->C.  I think a bunch of Cambridge Cycling Club types have done it today with a 9am start from Cambridge, which means they will have been out in the sun for a long time.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1131 on: 27 July, 2008, 07:29:06 pm »
We went up to Morcambe and met up with Alan and Marj for some gentle pootling on the prom. It was great to see absolutely loads of cyclists out from family groups to serious roadies. Even better was seeing Marj back on the Trice and enjoying the pedalling after her knee replacement. Chips, ice cream, tea and scones were consumed but not all at the same time. Lots of fun, not many miles but a thoroughly nice way to spend a sunny Sunday.

« Reply #1132 on: 27 July, 2008, 07:31:46 pm »
65 miles today! From Uxbridge out via Chipperfield to the mystical Sanuk tea room at Potten End, with its Buddhist paraphanalia and the scent of incense, not to mention the wonderful range of exotically flavoured cakes. I had coconut and lime, with orange squash.

Then on to Harpenden, partly on the Nicky Line, a converted ex-railway line, for a pub lunch. Back via St Albans on another ex-railway path, where my three Japanese friends went to the station to take the train back to London. One was on his Airnimal which he uses to commute between Notting Hill and Euston; another on a new Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, claiming he hadn't cycled before; and a lass on a brand new Pashley Moulton TSR9 in fetching pink.

We continued on to the cafe at Batchworth Lock, Rickmansworth,  via the Ebury Way, for tea, before taking the GU canal path back to Uxbridge.

Average speed 12.1mph, not bad considering the number of rough tracks and heat today.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1133 on: 27 July, 2008, 09:09:58 pm »
An evening pootle to the beach, where the water was lovely. I could wallow, shoulder deep in water and still see my feet!

Too hot to be out in the afternoon - our thermometer recorded 33°C.

« Reply #1134 on: 27 July, 2008, 09:19:50 pm »
Superb ride with the club in memory of the late president Edgar Phillips and taking the route of the first club run. 130 quality miles from Lancaster, Lyth Valley Ambleside, Grasmere, Dunmail Raise, Whinnlater, Buttermere, Honister,  Keswick, Ambleside, Lyth Valley, Lancaster.

Top top day.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1135 on: 27 July, 2008, 09:26:58 pm »
Diy 200 today
MK - Peterborough - Royston - MK
Good ride, heat was ok until you stopped then the sweat just poured out.
Drank loads eat hardly anything.
Nearly packed on the last 50k due to a blowout which after putting in a temp' tyre boot went down another 3 times.
Stopped in the pub at Clophill to fix it one last time whilst having a pint in the rain.
If it went again I'd have called out reinforcements and got a lift home.
Stayed up in the end and I got round in 12hrs.

Rich.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1136 on: 27 July, 2008, 09:30:51 pm »
Yes about 10 miles on bike then 10 miles on foot, reminder to self do not lend my mountain bike to anyone again ever.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1137 on: 27 July, 2008, 09:33:54 pm »
Spent all day marking out the MTB course for the Chichester challenge. So no cycling and I do not get to ride it because of work. I have promised Mrs. J-tsc a cafe' ride tomorrow though.......
Will that be taking in a climb of the trundles?

If it is you are an evil man :demon:

OK so I am a bit demonic, but she did get an ice cream in Littlehampton afterwards......
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #1138 on: 27 July, 2008, 09:35:19 pm »
Superb ride with the club in memory of the late president Edgar Phillips and taking the route of the first club run. 130 quality miles from Lancaster, Lyth Valley Ambleside, Grasmere, Dunmail Raise, Whinnlater, Buttermere, Honister,  Keswick, Ambleside, Lyth Valley, Lancaster.

Top top day.

That sounds fantastic......

« Reply #1139 on: 27 July, 2008, 09:39:55 pm »
Spent the morning teaching a 63 year old lady how to ride a bike, then pootled 15 miles home on the Brommie.
Went slow to avoid some decorating.

Boy, was it hot.

« Reply #1140 on: 27 July, 2008, 10:01:11 pm »
Avoiding decorating was why track-standing was invented....

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1141 on: 27 July, 2008, 10:09:53 pm »

Top top day.
That sounds hard.

ronstrutt

« Reply #1142 on: 28 July, 2008, 12:26:44 am »
A 64-mile afternoon trip to Hayling Island for a swim and then the train back. Despite the heat and the hills it was very pleasant.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1143 on: 28 July, 2008, 07:00:58 pm »
So far,my only "out" was for a blood test, which hurt and the plaster didn't stick 'cos I was sweaty, and on to the bank.

I'm about to pootle to the beach for my swimble!

Martin

« Reply #1144 on: 28 July, 2008, 10:20:01 pm »
Yes; Cycling In Extremis and alone in the UK since end May owing to work life and friends round the last few weekends; mostly to / from work (55km each way) via a different but no less painful route over the N Downs each time, the last time today - both ways- and returned home just before the heavens opened. Oh for a proper Audax ride  :(

vince

« Reply #1145 on: 28 July, 2008, 10:41:47 pm »
Lovely evening today. 24.5 miles up to Sheffield and back. I went to see a friend, we sat outside a cafe bar in the Peace Gardens. A pint when I got there to slake my thirst, followed by bread and olives and an espresso to give me enough zing for a fast ride back.

[squeamish parishioners may wish to read no further]

I'm now showered and sitting in a robe, unable to stop the sweat pouring off me in this heat  :-X

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1146 on: 28 July, 2008, 11:09:21 pm »
280km home from my Mum's.

A misty start at 4:45, which lasted for a few hours,  then the sun burst out as I descended into Bourn. Coffee stop in Oundle, then it started to get hot. Should be good preparation for 1001 Miglia. The cobber really does work. A lovely route, through countless limestone villages. Picnic of strawberries and peaches somewhere near MK, then pasta at the Little Chef near Thame. Diverted from my planned route of Goring-Pangbourne-Theale-home by heading for Watlington and climbing to Christmas Common (very loose gravel at the moment - I wouldn't like to descend it) and home via Henley and Twyford. A brief thunderstorm near Arborfield was over almost before it began.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #1147 on: 29 July, 2008, 06:22:50 pm »
Short 52km jaunt in the mid White Peak with my son today. Home - Lodge Moor - Ringinglow - Stannage - Hope - Bradwell - Eyam - Grindleford - Fox House - Ringinglow - Lodge Moor - Home. 910m climbing. Took it nice and slow - 20kph average. One short cooling off thundershower: bliss!
Beautiful ride despite the TM Transport bus that tried (but failed) to run us off the road  >:(

« Reply #1148 on: 29 July, 2008, 07:46:38 pm »
Slowest commute of the year into a reasonable westerly.

Now about to shoot off to play 5-a-side for an hour, thence The Pubbe for BEER.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #1149 on: 29 July, 2008, 08:22:15 pm »
A DIY 200 to keep my RRTY hopes alive.

If you are recovering from a knee injury - try a ride like this:

217km and just 770m of climbing  :thumbsup:. Flat as.

Probably best not to do it with a permanent headwind (cross headwind on the way out, then a cruel shift in the wind to a cross headwind on the return) unless you have a yACF forumite's wheel to follow. Luckily I did - thanks again Fidgetbuzz - you made a tough day easier for me to manage.

Knee is OK(ish) - sore and in a bandage now - but not that bad considering. Off to Orthopedics soon.