Author Topic: Where are all the insects?  (Read 6726 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
Where are all the insects?
« on: 11 June, 2021, 01:20:17 pm »
I've seen two wasps and three bees so far this year. I found one of those wasps inside my pitcher plant (I'm allergic, so Pitch is doing a good job). The St Michael's flies are out in force at the moment, and I've seen a couple of cabbage whites, but no hover flies. Where have all the insects gone?

Every so often I think back to being a child, when we'd get back from a trip that involved driving at night, and you'd have to scrape the insects off the windshield and the headlights. I can't remember the last time I got a bug splat, and I can no longer rely on involuntary fly-swallowing while riding to up my protein intake.

Everyone talks about climate change, but our biodiversity is crashing, and unless it's the Amazon or fisheries, nobody seems to be talking about it.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Where are all the insects?
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2021, 01:45:57 pm »

There's one going around with a Brexit wave just after the covid wave. 
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2021, 01:47:49 pm »
I've just been removing ivy and failed pointing from a sandstone gable end, so I think I know where most of them are!  Seriously, though, it's a big worry.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2021, 04:24:06 pm »
On Springwatch they were showing a citizen science project for reporting bug splats using your number plate and an app.
https://www.buglife.org.uk/news/new-bug-splatter-app-to-reveal-more-about-insect-populations/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2021, 01:12:35 am »
I think they're all in my lampshade.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2021, 09:23:50 am »
Everyone talks about climate change, but our biodiversity is crashing, and unless it's the Amazon or fisheries, nobody seems to be talking about it.

Nobody much rues the lack so it's all good. Except of course it isn't.  Over here the main collapse is due to neonicotinoids, which we banned years ago once most of the pollinators had taken a dive, only we're going to allow the beet varmers to use them otherwise we'll run out of sugar for the president's tea. Meanwhile the bees are making a timid come-back, the hornets are out in force (moving up from the south in droves and even the evil face of Marine Le Pen doesn't deter the buggers). Flies we have aplenty, ditto those nasty little bastards that look ordinary but bite and bring you up in 3"-wide lumps.

It's all one, of course, the insects, the dying forests, the burnt-out forests, the weather gone wawa, the thinning sea ice, the faltering Gulf Stream, the collapsing fish stocks*, the droughts and, some say, the pandemics.

It's time for humanity to die out, and après moi it can. Meanwhile I'll have another espresso and not think too hard about where it was grown.  I'm glad we have no grandchildren.

* and what does the term stock tell you about how the poor bloody fish are considered?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2021, 09:36:34 am »
Last year I noticed a lot more damsel/dragonflies than usual.  This year seems to be similar.

ravenbait

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2021, 10:55:27 am »
Saw another bee today.

The garden is weird this year. The normal succession of flowers is up the spout and everything seems to be coming out at once. We've had an invasion of campanulas, and I have no idea where they came from. I don't do much gardening, preferring to let things grow that might feed local insect populations, including nettles.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it, if the food source timetable has gone awry.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2021, 11:02:36 am »
Strange looking weeds appear at our place which turn out to be opium poppies.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:18:55 am »
A fair number of other bugs, but very few bees. Even walking at the weekend, through meadows of wildflowers, they were in the singular.

I've become pessimistic at this point: people don't really care. They're not going to put themselves out for climate change, they're not going to worry about bugs. I make the same joke every time, but it's true, western society's main response to climate peril thus far has been to buy bigger cars. Possibly the bees might be better off if we don't pay them much attention.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:25:03 am »
Haven't noticed many bees or butterflies or grasshoppers or beetles, but plenty of small flying things on the Sharpness canal. Lots of bees last year though; perhaps the extended spring wasn't good for them?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:33:08 am »
Things were quite around here (Aylesbury vale) for much of the Spring but the arrival of some warm weather has brought out bees, solitary wasps, mozzies and hoverflies.  I was just commenting yesterday that we'd not seen any tiger moths yet, which is unusual for June, and then last night there were dozens flapping about over our heads.  The Thame is bursting with hatching flies and is covered in banded demoiselles.

While I am sure there is a year on year decline, this year's weather seems to have resulted in a sudden burst of insect life in the last week or two.

« Reply #12 on: 19 June, 2021, 04:45:31 pm »
Yes, lots of insects in Reading. They were late (cold dry April?), & the swifts seemed to arrive late, but the swifts are noisily insect-hunting overhead now & the raspberries outside my bathroom window have been buzzing with bees for weeks. Dying down now, but that's due to most of the flowers turning into fruit. Looks like a good crop on the way. I picked a solitary ripe one a couple of days ago. And there are plenty of bees crawling into the foxgloves by the front door. When Mrs B & I went out for a walk this morning a large bee backed out of one flower coated in pollen.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #13 on: 20 June, 2021, 01:37:53 am »
Several wasps busy building nests in my shed. I'm not too bothered, they are mostly out of the way.

And hundreds of mosquito larvae in my new pond. Should provide some food for birds, bats and newts etc.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:36:48 am »
I evicted a large moth from my tent this week. Looked like it was auditioning for a role in Silence of the Lambs. Also had a strange bright blue insect with orange spots crawl over me.

In non-personal anecdote, midges are said to be expanding their range southwards and ticks (yes I know they're not insects) are increasing in numbers. But there does seem to be a lot less bug-splatter.

Edit: In wonderful timing, flickr has this minute alerted me to this photo posted by Salvatore otp: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnspooner/51255592189/
So the thing that crawled on me was a humble ladybird. Looked brighter blue when I saw it though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #15 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:45:29 am »
In my garden: weevils, a robber fly (possibly 2), 3 different types of ladybirds (red with black spots, red with white spots, yellow with black spots), numerous flies, but most of all ladybird larvae. And aphid bodyparts (not visible to the naked eye, well not mine anyway).
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2021, 09:40:44 pm »
Big and very hairy dark caterpiller crossing lane during bike ride yesterday.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2021, 09:42:43 pm »
Big and very hairy dark caterpiller crossing lane during bike ride yesterday.

I saw one of those the other day.  I kept pedalling, just in case.

« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2021, 10:04:56 pm »
We have a large Cotoneaster watereri and when in flower, early July, the whole thing was literally humming with bees/bumble bs/ etc.

Cotoneaster w by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 17 August, 2021, 07:06:26 am »
All the bees are on my lavender and all the flies are trapped in.my conservatory.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 17 August, 2021, 02:02:32 pm »
I used a car club car the other week, and was surprised by the amount of bug-splatter on the front.  You don't usually see that these days.

« Reply #21 on: 17 August, 2021, 03:22:38 pm »
I got stung by a wasp while riding on Saturday.

This may reflect my sweet nature and riding speed rather than proof positive that the insects are still with us. Especially as I killed it.

ravenbait

« Reply #22 on: 17 August, 2021, 03:42:28 pm »
I got stung by a wasp while riding on Saturday.

This may reflect my sweet nature and riding speed rather than proof positive that the insects are still with us. Especially as I killed it.

Being allergical, I dread this happening. I carry an epipen, but as I have fallen off more often than I've been stung, and I worry about breakage, it lives in whatever is attached to the bike at the time rather than a jersey pocket. Wasps are the main reason I have RoadID.

Sam

« Reply #23 on: 17 August, 2021, 03:53:29 pm »
I'm allergic to bees, Mr Smith to wasps.
We only take antihistamines with us, I'd have to be stung in the mouth for it to kill me.

ian

« Reply #24 on: 19 August, 2021, 10:41:53 am »
Fair number of bees on the lavender at the moment, which is reassuring, though they seemed late out this seasons. As a fascinating fact, I've never ever been stung by a bee or a wasp, we have an agreement*.

Lots of bitey horseflies out in the country too, I seem to come home after every hike with a few new bumps on my elbows and wrists.

*I have a similar mutual non-aggression pact with all Corvids not to attack me. I'm quite tempted to start a crow army, it's a thing, if you're nice to them, they will protect you. Unfortunately, it means you are followed everywhere by a flock of squawking birds. Awkward in meetings, awkward for stalkers.