Author Topic: Solvent selection  (Read 2680 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Solvent selection
« on: 02 April, 2021, 11:18:27 pm »

Having got my hydraulic brakes installed, I now need to clean the spilt mineral oil from the bike, and living room floor... and many of my tools...

What's the best solvent for the task? I have some IPA, and some acetone. Which of these would be best for the task?

What happens if I get IPA on the brake pads?

I had to take all the baggage off the bike, as well as mess up the Di2 wiring loom. What's the best option for degreasing the frame before adhering stuff to it?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Solvent selection
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:23:57 pm »
Ipa on brake pads is fine, you'll find it for sale in spray cans as "bike disc brake cleaner" and marked up appropriately.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:26:40 pm »
I would be inclined to use IPA in the first instance. It may be less melty to certain things than acetone. If it doesn't clean up the mineral oil then I would try white spirit.
I've cleaned disc rotors with IPA so, don't see a problem with pads, unless they are made of odd stuff.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:32:37 pm »
I would be inclined to use IPA in the first instance. It may be less melty to certain things than acetone. If it doesn't clean up the mineral oil then I would try white spirit.
I've cleaned disc rotors with IPA so, don't see a problem with pads, unless they are made of odd stuff.

Will white spirit harm the paint of the bike if I get it on there ?

J
--

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:36:26 pm »
I was thinking more of the floor and tools assuming they are unpainted. I would stick to IPA on the bike, not knowing what the finish is.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:38:35 pm »
I have some Muc-off Disc Brake Cleaner, the label says it contains acetone (and aliphatic hydrocarbons).  I'd start with hot, soapy water on the bike frame.

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2021, 11:52:49 pm »
I'd go easy on the acetone - it is what I used to remove the decals from my Van Nic.
White Spirit will leave a greasy deposit, so best kept away from disc brake pads.
+1 for the above mentions of Isoprop and Meths - although I believe the latter isn't widely available in NL. AmIright?

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2021, 12:30:53 am »
IPA on its own is fine. However, if you have spilt mineral oil on the pads, or get a mixture of mineral oil and IPA on your pads then you'll need to replace them.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2021, 01:18:06 am »

I don't believe I have mineral oil on the pads. I asked about the IPA, as I was trying to work out how precious i have to be when spraying the stuff around.

J
--

Davef

Solvent selection
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:28:30 am »
I found IPA left it a bit sticky.

« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:32:27 am »
If you got oil on the pads and discs then you have quite a cleaning job ahead of you. IPA or disc cleaner is the way to go.

For anywhere else, just use what you'd normally use to clean oil up.

« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:39:34 am »
For cleaning everything other than the brakes, white vinegar, every household should have a bottle.  it might even be OK for the brakes, but I haven't tried it.

« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:53:41 am »

I don't believe I have mineral oil on the pads. I asked about the IPA, as I was trying to work out how precious i have to be when spraying the stuff around.

J

It's not cheap. So a little precious, I'd say. I'd just use it for pads/discs, and maybe the hoods if you dribbled some on there.

I think most people get the oil everywhere the first time they do brake work. The second time you know what you are doing. It's one of those jobs where it pays to go a bit slower, be methodical and not rush anything.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2021, 04:04:11 pm »
I found IPA left it a bit sticky.

That's the IPA for slipping Brompton seatposts.  Not to be confused with the stuff for cleaning brakes.

« Reply #15 on: 03 April, 2021, 04:11:12 pm »
I have several litres of IPA, I pour some into a small 100ml spray bottle,  this lasts a long time, certainly enough to take care of bike cleaning duties for a while, I've used it to assist with mopping up spilt mineral oil after bleeding my disc brakes to no ill effect whatsoever. Also I  can recommend paper towels for this task.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2021, 06:58:46 pm »

J

It's not cheap. So a little precious, I'd say. I'd just use it for pads/discs, and maybe the hoods if you dribbled some on there.

I think most people get the oil everywhere the first time they do brake work. The second time you know what you are doing. It's one of those jobs where it pays to go a bit slower, be methodical and not rush anything.
So if you spill a load of it, you'll be insolvent.

<coat!>
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:45:13 pm »
Can’t see how you’ll get it on brake pads as you always bleed / add the mineral oil when the pads aren’t in the callipers.

« Reply #18 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:53:46 pm »
You'd be surprised.  First tme I bled my brakes I got it on the pads, and no they weren't in the calipers at the time  :facepalm:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 03 April, 2021, 07:55:18 pm »
Can’t see how you’ll get it on brake pads as you always bleed / add the mineral oil when the pads aren’t in the callipers.
You're not allowing for corner cutters, and/or people with only red pad spacers not the yellow piston spacers.
Also I like to live dangerously...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:29:58 pm »

Thanks all. I washed the bike frame down with soapy water. And then degreased it with IPA. The channels for Di2 cables have adhered perfectly.

I also wiped the calipers down with IPA.

Things seem to work well so far.

J
--

« Reply #21 on: 04 April, 2021, 11:24:09 am »

Thanks all. I washed the bike frame down with soapy water. And then degreased it with IPA. The channels for Di2 cables have adhered perfectly.

I also wiped the calipers down with IPA.

Things seem to work well so far.

J

And the living room floor?

(FWIW my first wife, having seen how my mother suffered with my dad, banned all mechanical activity from the house, on pain of deff or worse. My second wife got me as already house-trained -except when she is working nights  ;D. Didn't stop the messing up the house genes from being in my daughters though  :facepalm:. I've been clean for over 40 years!

Incidentally there are oil absorbant mats in large sizes used by motocross riders in the pits of competitions. It's part of competition rules at least on some courses in France (and almost certainly elsewhere) for reducing the environmental damage. They are not that expensive (and big enough to take a motocrosser and a couple of mechanics so more than adequate for a pushbike in a living room). Oil absorbant mats exist for industry (and garages) for protecting small surfaces but they tend to be single use and, I think, come in rolls like felt. The motocross version is a bit thicker, folds up and should last a season. Worth considering if you have to work in clean areas and want to save a bit of time on cleaning up. It pays when you want to move flat!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 04 April, 2021, 01:06:40 pm »
Should be fairly easy to find what's available for the absorbent mats and spill kits from demon tweaks (then Google to find at a sensi le price)

We have to have them and a fire extinguisher at tests on targas and the competitors have to have them in car.

Talking of doing work in house, I remember  sitting at the kitchen table with dad taking a zenith carb apart thanks to one of the previous owners using sellotape to hold a fuel pipe in place. The kitchen stank of fuel for days.

« Reply #23 on: 04 April, 2021, 10:33:36 pm »
How about some newspapers on the floor under the bike?  ::-)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #24 on: 04 April, 2021, 11:07:46 pm »
Or an old bit of carpet. I found a roll that had been binned, and used it for a few years.