Author Topic: replacing a tap washer  (Read 1570 times)

replacing a tap washer
« on: 03 August, 2021, 10:57:55 am »
I have these taps.  https://www.showerspares.com/bristan_shower_spares/bristan_all/bristan-regency-basin-taps-r-1-2-c/   (I think)

They are dripping so I suspect the washers are failing and the seat is limescaled up.  I can turn them off, but the children can't.   In addition the shroud (part 4 on the diagram) has corroded.    I was thinking of getting the taps replaced, but with how cheap the spares are just want to go down that route.  It should be an easy job and well within my skillset.  To replace the taps will require getting a plumber in as they are in a very hard to get to area and are soldered onto the copper pipes.

I have removed the top cap and screw, as usual with taps, but cannot get the handle off.  It's either corrosion, jammed, or some mechanical bond such as a screw that I can't find on the tap or on the diagram.  I've tried penetrating fluid, gentle force, hitting it with a hammer.   I haven't tried a blow torch to heat the metal as I'm worried about damaging the chrome.  I have considered buying a bearing puller to try to apply more force, but again am worried about damage.

Two questions for the jury.
1) any ideas how to take this tap apart?
2) Does anybody know if just the rubber washer on the flow cartridge (part 5 on the picture) is standard and can be bought at the DIY shop to save me buying an entire cartridge (and I don't know which year mine are to order it).

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: replacing a tap washer
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2021, 12:17:31 pm »
Are the 4 knobs on the tap head (i.e. the cross part) which appear to be threaded biting into the spline that the tap is on - as if being "set screws"   Unscrewing them (rag - or bit of iner tube - and pump pliers) may solve your problem.   There's a pretty fair chance that you'll find a rubber washer at B&Q or a plumbing shop.

BUT you may need to re-face the tap body where the washer contacts to stop the water off - special tool required   https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-tap-reseating-tool/89487  - it screws into the tap body and has a sort of cutting disc - same as facing a bottom bracket shell on a bike.

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2021, 12:49:41 pm »
I couldn't see that the four knobs were interfering, they are above the central screw/washer and also don't seem to go through the head but just into a recess.

The refacing is already planned, and I know a friend who has a few of those tools but doesn't know I might be hassling him at some point for a loan.  (Although screwfix is closer to me, and there's never a reason not to have a tool in the cupboard that was used once and might be needed again at some point in the future.)

The reason I asked re the washer was that when I did this a decade ago for the father-in-law I wasn't able to find a washer that fitted his tap, so ended up having to buy a whole new internals.

« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2021, 01:27:07 pm »
There are nominally 2 sizes of 1/2" tap valves (and hence washers) available, BS 5412 or BS 1010, one is a coarse thread on the valve the other is a finer thread, washers differ slightly. Both size washers are easily available as are the odder similar nominal sizes.
Note that tap reviver kits are available, again in both threads (and a universal set with adapters) and in cross head, BES will have better quality than screwfix I think, as mentioned you might need to reface the seating if the seat has eroded.

« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2021, 01:34:48 pm »
The tap handle will be a splined fitting - gentle taps upwards should get it off, escalating towards ultraviolence if you're in the mood (but it should come off before you get to that point). Bearing puller is probably unnecessary, though you could probably get out to bear down on the head of the fixing screw if you put that back in loosely, leaving room for the tap handle to move.

The tap washer should be a standard size - but you could just get a selection box like https://www.screwfix.com/p/replacement-tap-washers-170-pcs/69671, which will leave you with an assorted range of 168 spares.

« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2021, 01:48:38 pm »
I hope that I am not asking a silky question but looking at the link and associated spares listed below: are your tas pre 2013 so a washer will suffice or post 2013 thus perhaps requiring a flow cartridge? 

We have a Bristan mixer tap in the kitchen which is only 3 years old but has started dripping.  Cartridges unfortunately.  My plan is to replace the cartridges (£10) and then see if I can clean up the leaky ones.  It is in fact only leaking from the hot side but I expect that the cold cannot be far behind. 

« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2021, 02:41:51 pm »
The tap handle will be a splined fitting - gentle taps upwards should get it off, escalating towards ultraviolence if you're in the mood (but it should come off before you get to that point). Bearing puller is probably unnecessary, though you could probably get out to bear down on the head of the fixing screw if you put that back in loosely, leaving room for the tap handle to move.

The tap washer should be a standard size - but you could just get a selection box like https://www.screwfix.com/p/replacement-tap-washers-170-pcs/69671, which will leave you with an assorted range of 168 spares.

gentle taps have already escalated to violent ones long before I posted.    I already have many selections of washers in the spares boxes, none of which worked for father-in-law's tap, although I've ended up with more since then.

I hope that I am not asking a silky question but looking at the link and associated spares listed below: are your tas pre 2013 so a washer will suffice or post 2013 thus perhaps requiring a flow cartridge? 

We have a Bristan mixer tap in the kitchen which is only 3 years old but has started dripping.  Cartridges unfortunately.  My plan is to replace the cartridges (£10) and then see if I can clean up the leaky ones.  It is in fact only leaking from the hot side but I expect that the cold cannot be far behind. 

Not a silky question.  The taps were fitted early 2014 so I don't know if they are old stock from an internet site or new stock in new design.  Of course all paperwork has long been disposed of.  :facepalm:

The kitchen tap, different brand and quarter turn levers instead of turnable taps, started dripping a couple of years ago.  I stripped it and replaced the O-rings on the outside of the cartridge for generic ones from DIY store.  It's been fine since and cost me a total of 10p to sort out.

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2021, 03:21:29 pm »
That's an interesting tip re the O rings, thanks.  I have a whole load of various sizes bought from Aldi in one of those partitioned boxes for less than a quid.  I bought them on a whim because they were there.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.  👍

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2021, 04:36:03 pm »

If it's quarter turn, it's a cartridge with ceramic discs. If it isn't, it's a traditional mechanism with a washer.

« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2021, 09:23:23 pm »
That's an interesting tip re the O rings, thanks.  I have a whole load of various sizes bought from Aldi in one of those partitioned boxes for less than a quid.  I bought them on a whim because they were there.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.  👍

Hope it works out for you.  My parents witnessed me sorting the tap out on one visit, so on the next one they presented me with said same Aldi O ring box.  It is still cellophane wrapped as none have thus far been the correct size for my needs.

I have since noticed in that DIY store a bag of tap O rings, but not checked if they were the size I needed as I'd already mended the tap and only needed two and not the plumber's quantity.  I like my store as I was able to ask at the till if they had any O's* and an assorted box was produced from under the counter for me to rummage through to find the ones I needed.

*not to be confused with the Two Ronnies sketch

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2021, 09:45:43 pm »
I used a 2-leg automotive gear puller on one of those.

Round here, it's generally impossible to overhaul conventional taps as the limescale turns all threads into a solid lump after a year or so.  Also, with ceramic taps, you don't always get what you pay for.  The cheap Beta taps are unimpeachable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.