Author Topic: Helmets and adhesives  (Read 731 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Helmets and adhesives
« on: 28 November, 2021, 09:01:04 am »
I have a 30€ Chinese helmet with a visor (not the sticky-out peak effort you get for MTB use, but a transparent one to protect the eyes) which is held on by three magnets.  It's pretty crap as a helmet, so I'm thinking of sticking three disc magnets onto a decent helmet and using the visor with that.

Question: what adhesive to use?

I'm leaning towards epoxy but I'm chary of damaging the outer layer of the helmet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Re: Helmets and adhesives
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2021, 09:13:06 am »
I recon a decent quality double-sided tape.

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2021, 04:25:27 pm »
I’d probably use cyanoacrylate super glue - shoe goo is a useful, if expensive, formulation as it’s both sticky and fills gaps a bit. It’s also quite happy to stick fingers to objects and each other:(

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2021, 07:19:58 pm »
Cyanoacrylate (or the fumes from it?) dissolves styrene. I tried to superglue (using a loctite variant) some polystyrene to my loft hatch many years ago, with the exposed surface turning to snot! Cyanoacrylate is activated by moisture and releases an unpleasant gas (the cyano bit) to form acrylic.

All common cycle helmets I know of use polystyrene as the compressable material, with a shell to protect it from abrasion.

Experiment with any polystyrene (old packing material etc) before trying anything on a safety related item like a helmet.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2021, 07:21:32 pm »

I would go with the double sided tape.

And yes, avoid CA glue.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2021, 07:31:14 pm »
I’d go with a 2 part epoxy, a fast acting version. If going double-sided then get the 3M heavy duty number plates pads.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2021, 08:09:02 pm »
so I'm thinking of sticking three disc magnets onto a decent helmet
The magnetic field combined with 4G radiation will affect your Branzes!