Author Topic: BT dial-up RIP  (Read 2476 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
BT dial-up RIP
« on: 30 August, 2013, 03:28:26 pm »

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Re: BT dial-up RIP
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2013, 03:50:29 pm »
BT are doing their best to maintain the spirit and speed of dial-up in my part of Essex.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2013, 03:53:30 pm »
Makes sense.  There are literally a handful of exchanges in the arse end of nowhere with no DSL.  Even under the worst possible line conditions, ADSL compares favourably to dialup - if only by a factor of two or three.  I expect there's going to be some ISP or other (the article mentions PlusNet, and I know AAISP buy in a dialup service, mainly for fail-over purposes) providing the service for a good time yet.  And there are always ISDN or satellite services.

POTS modems aren't going to become extinct any time soon, though.  They're going to hang around for ages in embedded applications like textphones[1] and EPOS equipment, not to mention the spiritual relative, Fax.

[1] The 'next generation' TextRelay service launches in April.  If they don't cock it up, those could soon become an endangered species, too.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2013, 04:02:03 pm »
Dial-up has been a valuable backup for ADSL for me in the past, but nowdays I'm happy with a smartphone as backup (with unlimited internet access via the mobile network).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2013, 08:40:47 pm »
.. just remember when Prestel/Videotex/Viewdata was at a stunning  1200/75 baud ... !

All this WWW thing isn't really that new .. Prestel (invented by the Post Office) was around in the late 1970s as was Minitel in France .. same concepts as the WWW - just clunkier block images with far few pixels.    Ah, nostalgia.

Rob

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2013, 08:56:26 pm »
Regarding Satellite ISPs...

Whilst in Yosemite this summer, we were in an apartment that had WiFi.
This had a back-end Internet connection via a Sat ISP.
There was a mahoosive dish in the garden, with an impressive heat-sink LNB thing that was a Tx as well as an Rx.

My brother and I were sitting side-by-side, and made the silliest phone call ever.

Using the IAX client on my Android phone, which is an extension of my Aberdeen-based Asterisk box, I placed a call to his Aberdeen home phone.
He picked up the call on his iTHing with an IAX softphone!

The call routing was this:

My phone -> WiFi ->The Moon -> Back ->Internet -> My Asterisk box -> Internet ( IAX trunk ) -> His Asterisk Box -> Internet -> Moon ->Back -> WiFi -> His phone.

The latency was *awesome*, but it worked!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2013, 09:06:39 pm »
Dial-up has been a valuable backup for ADSL for me in the past, but nowdays I'm happy with a smartphone as backup (with unlimited internet access via the mobile network).

AAISP will sell you FireBrick router / firewall devices that will take a USB 3G dongle as a failover connection for the whole network.   Not tried it myself, tho I do have the Firebrick 2700.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2013, 09:47:45 pm »
.. just remember when Prestel/Videotex/Viewdata was at a stunning  1200/75 baud ... !

All this WWW thing isn't really that new .. Prestel (invented by the Post Office) was around in the late 1970s as was Minitel in France .. same concepts as the WWW - just clunkier block images with far few pixels.    Ah, nostalgia.

Rob

I remember accessing text-only BBS at a speed of 300/300. When 1200 baud came into being I remember being one of the first in my class to have access to a 1200/1200 modem and my (geeky) friends being awestruck to behold such a thing.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #8 on: 30 August, 2013, 10:28:52 pm »
Acoustic coupler at 300 baud. I say no more.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 30 August, 2013, 10:44:35 pm »
Acoustic coupler at 300 baud. I say no more.

:thumbsup:
That was how I announced the birth of #1 son in 1984 on Telecom Gold.  It was slightly quicker than Mrs. B's labour.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #10 on: 30 August, 2013, 10:47:21 pm »
I've been on ADSL for well over a decade now, but prior to that used dial up for many years.  Somewhere I've still got my good old reliable USRobotics Courier Modem, flashed to V.90, originally having been a V.34 28.8 kbaud device (on a good day!).

I think, since I got ADSL, I've used dialup twice, once just to prove I could use Zen's fall back dialup service, and once overseas, before WiFi was common in hotels, to talk back to College's dialup pool.  I'm not sure whether either of those dialup systems still exist, since I've had no need to use either of them since.

Even at home now, should the ADSL fail, I'd just pull out the tablet, and use it's 3G connection to get online.

High speed connections (of varying degrees) are now so ubiquitous, that most of us are unlikely to need to use dialup, as the article says, and I'd suspect that the number of people who have no alternative is now a tiny fraction of the population.  I can't say that I miss dialup, whilst there was a certain kick to hearing the V.34 and V.90 negotiation, it took a while, and was also incredibly irritating, when you heard that it was barfing for some reason, and got multiple repetitions of the sequence whilst the two ends tried to come to an agreement over what the line was doing!

I'm quite happy to see the back end of acoustic couplers and 300 baud modems  though.  Imagine trying to access one of today's Shockwave and image rich web pages, using a 300 baud link!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11 on: 30 August, 2013, 10:52:40 pm »
I'm quite happy to see the back end of acoustic couplers and 300 baud modems  though.  Imagine trying to access one of today's Shockwave and image rich web pages, using a 300 baud link!

What's the problem?
Click
Go to bed.
Check to see what's happened over your bowl of Shreddies in the morning.
 :D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #12 on: 30 August, 2013, 10:54:06 pm »
I remember dial up, that lovely sound as the modem dialed out, whilst I sat there wondering if it would make the connection, I also remember setting the computer up to upload photo's to an online printing site then going out to work in the garden whilst it did it, checking it on a regular basis to make sure it hadn't dropped the connection.

« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2013, 06:47:53 am »
Can you get a sound file of the clicks and whistles?  I kind of miss them!

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2013, 07:16:20 am »
Of course, someone somewhere has thought it worthwhile..... <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gsNaR6FRuO0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/gsNaR6FRuO0&rel=1</a>

« Reply #15 on: 31 August, 2013, 12:41:24 pm »
I remember showing my mates "the internet" on CompuServe ~94, and getting out a couple of bike magazines to keep them entertained whilst pages loaded.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »
&C1 &D2 .........%C3 %U1.........\K3 \N5
....S07:25..NO CARRIER
It is simpler than it looks.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2013, 05:47:40 pm »
Can you get a sound file of the clicks and whistles?  I kind of miss them!

On The Fun Factory TM which was built by Our Kim and Our Nikki they have some play random noises linked to buttons and frobby things.  One of the noises was a modem dialup noise which I think I scared Kim by identifying as sounding like 33k6 ;D