Author Topic: What Linux to use on an acer aspire one ZG5  (Read 10796 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
What Linux to use on an acer aspire one ZG5
« on: 29 August, 2013, 01:13:47 am »
Hello

So looking at upgrading the Linux from my acer, so looking for ideas as it is a small screen.  Have seen the mint version but don't like it as it has a both header and footer.

Or shall I hackintosh it?

Re: What Linux to use on an acer aspire one ZG5
« Reply #1 on: 29 August, 2013, 03:26:31 am »
Quote:-

Not sure what you mean?
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 29 August, 2013, 05:03:08 am »
Mint 15 works fine on this one.  I upgraded from 14 at the weekend (complete reinstall) and everything just works.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3 on: 29 August, 2013, 08:31:46 am »
Quote:-

Not sure what you mean?

Now that Apple use Intel architecture for their computers, there are ways to install Apple OSX on non-Apple PC hardware (albeit with a little fiddling) - "Hackintosh" being a portmanteau of "Hack" and "Mackintosh".

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:15:44 am »
Have seen the mint version but don't like it as it has a both header and footer.

Mint doesn't have both header and footer. Well, not on my system anyway (it's one of the reasons I chose it).

For a small screen you may be better off with <cough> Ubuntu/Unity. The desktop is laid out with icons in a grid like Windows 3 smart phones. It all disappears when an application is launched. Or something like that.
Pen Pusher

ian

« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:22:32 am »
I rarely use my old netbook these days owing to the tyranny of the tablet, but Xubuntu offers a pleasing, uncluttered UI on both desktops and netbooks.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:41:10 am »
Sorry, didn't realise it was a netbook. Ian's suggestion of Xubuntu is a good one. There's also Mint XFCE which would be my choice http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=142
Pen Pusher

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2013, 09:52:42 am »
One of the *buntu netbook remixes - I wouldn't touch 'regular' Ubuntu with a long, shitty stick mainly because Unity is an absolute abomination.

I have Lubuntu installed on some of my lower spec (ie. less than 1Gb RAM) machines at work and it's more than adequate - lxde is a nice, lightweight window manager anyway. Xubuntu is more of the same (replace lxde with xfce4) but a bit heavier on resources, although not much.

Its been a long while since I actually had a netbook (a Dell Mini 10v) but if memory serves I was running Fedora on it, which is something else to consider.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2013, 10:09:39 am »
One of the *buntu netbook remixes

Do these still exist? I was under the impression that UNR was a prototype for Unity so the desktop and netbook versions merged.

I have UNR on my old (and sadly now slightly broken) Samsung netbook. It's a very nice interface but that version went out of support years ago.
Pen Pusher

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2013, 10:11:19 am »

I use Mint with the MATE desktop.  Haven't tried Cinnamon.  Mint is basically Ubuntu with better driver support and fewer bugs.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #10 on: 29 August, 2013, 10:12:08 am »
One of the *buntu netbook remixes

Do these still exist? I was under the impression that UNR was a prototype for Unity so the desktop and netbook versions merged.
I think some do, but to be honest I'd probably use aa stock (L|X)ubuntu install and tweak as necessary. I'm not familiar with the Aspire One, so don't know if it has the sort of hardware weirdness that would warrant a 'special' netbook-oriented distro.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #11 on: 29 August, 2013, 11:24:09 am »

I use Mint with the MATE desktop.  Haven't tried Cinnamon.  Mint is basically Ubuntu with better driver support and fewer bugs.

Ah at a guess that you aren't using the debian based one.

Mate is gnome 2 from a quick search.

The laptop is still running the original linpus lite

« Reply #12 on: 29 August, 2013, 01:14:57 pm »
Lubuntu 12.10 with that quick LXDE desktop is hassle free for me on less than normal computer specs for these days. It reminds me of Ubuntu 10.04 which was lovely and very fast. When Unity arrived, I tried it and rejected it, various other desktops and Mint. All of them seemed to be too heavy on resouces.

It was then that a Forum Member recommended I give Lubuntu a try and it has been problem free ever since :thumbsup:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #13 on: 29 August, 2013, 01:27:40 pm »
Beware of Ubuntu's short support periods. Standard releases are now only supported for 9 months. Silly, I know. Best to go for the 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support) release if you want, say, Lubuntu and don't want to be re-installing every year or so.
Pen Pusher

Afasoas

« Reply #14 on: 29 August, 2013, 02:29:32 pm »
Happy Lunbuntu user on a ZG5. It's simple, functional and works quickly enough (..memory upgraded to 1.5GB)
I did try Ubuntu but it was just slow.

Only issues:
- The internal card readers don't work .. but an external card reader is hunky dory.
- It's a crap web browsing experience at the moment because I've had the incentive to get my head around making it play rich content (flash etc.)
- It spends a minute hunting for network configuration when I turn it on. I'm sure I can tweak it but again not had the incentive.

As you may have gathered, I don't really use it much. I'm away for a couple of weeks and thinking about taking it with me - but last time I took it on a flight the HDD was toasted and I had to change it afterwards.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #15 on: 29 August, 2013, 02:41:31 pm »

I use Cinnamon on my dev machine at home - I really like it, but it can be a bit hungry in terms of screen space requirements and on the strength of that I really wouldn't fancy it on a typical netbook display.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #16 on: 29 August, 2013, 03:39:50 pm »
I use Crunchbang on my netbook - a Debian GNU/Linux disto that uses Openbox window manager. It is pretty wizzy even on my ageing eeePC 701SD.
http://crunchbang.org/about/

« Reply #17 on: 29 August, 2013, 10:21:30 pm »
Lubuntu 12.10 with that quick LXDE desktop is hassle free for me on less than normal computer specs for these days. It reminds me of Ubuntu 10.04 which was lovely and very fast. When Unity arrived, I tried it and rejected it, various other desktops and Mint. All of them seemed to be too heavy on resouces.

It was then that a Forum Member recommended I give Lubuntu a try and it has been problem free ever since :thumbsup:

I'm on a customized version of  Lubuntu 12,10 and very happy with it, it works very well, I did try upgrading to version 13.04, but though generally it worked well I found I had problems connecting my camera and MP3 player, both work perfectly with 12.10, and went back to 12.10.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #18 on: 31 August, 2013, 09:39:33 pm »
Happy Lunbuntu user on a ZG5. It's simple, functional and works quickly enough (..memory upgraded to 1.5GB)
I did try Ubuntu but it was just slow.

Only issues:
- The internal card readers don't work .. but an external card reader is hunky dory.
- It's a crap web browsing experience at the moment because I've had the incentive to get my head around making it play rich content (flash etc.)
- It spends a minute hunting for network configuration when I turn it on. I'm sure I can tweak it but again not had the incentive.

As you may have gathered, I don't really use it much. I'm away for a couple of weeks and thinking about taking it with me - but last time I took it on a flight the HDD was toasted and I had to change it afterwards.

That is the thing that worries me, losing bits of the functionality.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2013, 09:57:50 pm »
Beware of Ubuntu's short support periods. Standard releases are now only supported for 9 months. Silly, I know. Best to go for the 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support) release if you want, say, Lubuntu and don't want to be re-installing every year or so.

That is what annoys me with ubuntu as well as issues with xbmcbuntu.